Concorde

This forum can be broken out into additional areas as topic trends begin to develop.

Concorde

Postby Мастер » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:30 pm

Here it is under the Brooklyn Bridge.

8033EF62-4FC7-4631-B4BE-56DBF382B617.jpeg

I believe I’ve been inside this one, although it did not leave the ground at that time.

Assuming it is moving in the forward direction (accurate?), it must have gone down the Hudson (where I boarded it), around the southern tip of Manhattan (where the world trade centre was), and then up the East River.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Re: Concorde

Postby Arneb » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:52 pm

This is clearly a fake. No crater under the massive engine. Clear artificial lighting on the underside of the Brooklyn Bridge. No image distortion as a result of a sonic boom, and the crew would have been fried in the Van Halen belt.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby tubeswell » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:49 pm

Arneb wrote:This is clearly a fake. No crater under the massive engine. Clear artificial lighting on the underside of the Brooklyn Bridge. No image distortion as a result of a sonic boom, and the crew would have been fried in the Van Halen belt.

And no genuine IRU logo on the photograph it seems.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby tubeswell » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:51 pm

Мастер wrote:
Assuming it is moving in the forward direction (accurate?), it must have gone down the Hudson (where I boarded it), around the southern tip of Manhattan (where the world trade centre was), and then up the East River.

So this is how British Airways arrives these days?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Мастер » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:13 am

tubeswell wrote:
Мастер wrote:

Well if they're going to Laguardia, I think the runways there are probably too short for a Concorde to land the conventional way.

They've had aeroplanes take off from Laguardia and end up in the water in 1989, 1992, and 2009, so about time one arrives from the water and ends up at the airport.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:21 am

And apparently there was also a flight from Laguardia into the water in 1947. Flights aiming for Laguardia but missing and ending up in the water occurred in 1945 and 1959.

And in 1957, a flight took off from Laguardia and crashed on Rikers Island. For those not familiar with New York, Rikers Island is a prison.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Richard A » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:21 pm

Arneb wrote:This is clearly a fake. No crater under the massive engine. Clear artificial lighting on the underside of the Brooklyn Bridge. No image distortion as a result of a sonic boom, and the crew would have been fried in the Van Halen belt.

It may well be a fake. But the lack of an image distortion resulting from a sonic boom is not conclusive evidence. Concorde only flew supersonically for part of each flight - partly out of agreements with the countries whose airspace it flew through but also because all aircraft fly well below maximum speed shortly after take off / shortly before landing. I once watched two Concordes fly down the Thames just by Hammersmith on their approach to Heathrow and no way were they going at the speed of sound. The Brooklyn Bridge is very close, in flight path terms, to landing at JFK (which is where intercontinental flights tend to go to/from), so go figure.

The other points, though, do make sense.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Richard A » Sat Aug 12, 2023 2:35 pm

tubeswell wrote:
Мастер wrote:

The only time I've flown from London to New York (and that was definitely into JFK) was on Delta, not BA, but I imagine the route is much the same. We came in over Long Island. No graceful rounding of Battery Point and up the East River, but we did get quite a nice view of the desirable properties of the Hamptons.

On the subject of flight paths, the last couple of hours or so of my flight back to London from Qingdao yesterday pretty much followed the route we'd taken coming back from Helsinki exactly 2 months earlier. Unfortunately, though, this time much of the way was covered in cloud, so no nice views this time until the Thames estuary.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Aug 23, 2023 1:11 pm

Мастер wrote:I believe I’ve been inside this one, although it did not leave the ground at that time.

I might have been inside that one, and the one I was in did leave the ground. Tiny inside and very impressive.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:38 pm

Heid the Ba wrote:
Мастер wrote:I believe I’ve been inside this one, although it did not leave the ground at that time.

I might have been inside that one, and the one I was in did leave the ground. Tiny inside and very impressive.

Oh yeah? Well I was inside that one, and I don’t remember seeing you there!

(Rework of Mel Brooks joke.)
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Return to Science and Technology