Scientific Test of Astrology

This forum can be broken out into additional areas as topic trends begin to develop.

Scientific Test of Astrology

Postby Lance » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:18 pm

From the BABB:

Grey on BABB wrote:Now that I've gotten your attention, no, this thread isn't about some recently published paper that supports astrology. It is, however, about a test that we're doing right here on the BABB. In a thread discussing astrology, gzhpcu made a statement that he's made before, that he investigated a particular type of astrology based on Jung's work, and based on the descriptions of people it provided, felt like there was something to it. He's acknowledged that that isn't exactly a scientifically supportable claim, but still feels that the personalist descriptions fit remarkably well. For myself, I think it's more likely a case of preferentially noticing the parts of such a description that match, and neglecting the parts that don't match as well, but I think we can all agree that judging how well a single description fits someone is a pretty subjective matter.

Check it out here: Scientific Test of Astrology

I think this is fascinating and wish I knew my details well enough to participate. Is anyone else participating?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby gillianren » Tue Jul 19, 2005 8:38 pm

6 December 1976, 10:54 PST, Arcadia Methodist Hospital, Arcadia, CA--yup, I'm participating. I've had a natal chart done a few times before, but I can't find any of 'em, and I certainly don't remember what was on them. (I'm now realizing I need to PM Grey and tell him that's PM; I don't remember if I said or not.)

all the information you need for a natal chart should be on your birth certificate, especially since Grey offered to work out latitude/longitude for anyone who could only name the hospital.

of course, I have preconceived notions of astrology. who doesn't? there's a chunk in my book about Paganism on it. as I said on BABB, since I believe in free will, I perforce cannot truly believe in astrology.
Gillian

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

--Maskerade
gillianren
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby zebo-the-fat » Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:52 pm

As I have said elsewhere, if I give the same information to 100 astrologers (date, time, location of birth etc.) and they all give the same predictions, then I will start to think that there may be some truth in it.
If I give the same sample of copper to 100 chemists they will all give the same results for mass, density conductivity etc.
Chemistry is a science, astrology is mumbo-jumbo for the hard of thinking! :shock:
The meek will inherit the earth ... the rest of us will go to the stars.
zebo-the-fat
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby azazul » Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:07 am

I am one of the participants, I have never had a chart done. I just thought this would be an interesting experiment so I signed up as soon as I saw it.
azazul
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Eroica » Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:58 am

I sent my details to Grey so I presume I'm part of the experiment, though he never confirmed my PM. I've never had one done before, so it will be interesting to see what comes up.
Traulich und treu ist's nur in der Tiefe:
Falsch und feig ist was dort oben sich freut!
Eroica
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Lance » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:53 pm

On BABB: August 25th, gzhpcu wrote:Just a reminder: give me another couple of weeks... but I'm coming....

I'm happy for you, but how is the study going?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Return to Science and Technology