Pee-powered batteries!

This forum can be broken out into additional areas as topic trends begin to develop.

Pee-powered batteries!

Postby MM_Dandy » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:09 pm

Scientists have developed a way to turn pee into electricity. And there's plenty where that came from, they point out.

How much power can you generate?

Not much, appearantly.

Cheap, disposable, and renewable, urine-powered batteries may be the perfect power source for disposable healthcare test kits called biochips, the researchers say.

But really, I don't think they've really explored the potential here. I mean, give me three or four beers, and I'll bet you I could keep a lightbulb lit for at least a minute or two!
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Bill EE » Wed Aug 17, 2005 5:30 pm

I am afraid that this isn't new. You could buy urine powered emergency flashlights for years (not good if you pee your pants when the lights suddenly go off :D ). I use to keep a couple on the boat (they can use seawater also) for emergencies - got rid of the boat and the kids got to use the flashlights last Halloween (don't ask me why it was a thrill for them but they loved it).

The amout of energy depends (that wasn't intended as a pun) on the size of the battery and the amount of urine.
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Cl1mh4224rd » Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:43 am

At least folks won't be licking these batteries for that tingly sensation... /shudders
Cl1mh4224rd
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby umop ap!sdn » Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:13 am

Urine has moisture and electrolytes in it, so yeah sandwiching it between dissimilar metals will produce an electric current. When I was a kid I had a series of those Radio Shack project kits and there was usually an experiment in the instruction book involving making a battery with 2 coins and a piece of wet paper. Thinking back on it now, they never did say exactly what to wet the paper with. :D

But using the test substance as an electrolyte is, AFAIK, new.
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby hippietrekx » Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:46 am

Cl1mh4224rd wrote:At least folks won't be licking these batteries for that tingly sensation... /shudders

That reminds me, I need to get some more 9-volts. :D

I used to shock my self quite a bit when I still had braces. I'd wire a 9-volt to two wires, twist one to my lower arch-wire, and then place the other wire on my upper arch-wire. My head completed the circuit. Then I'd see white flashes like a strobe light and my jaws got numb! I learned not to leave the circuit completed for more than 30 seconds because my teeth got really hot and I'd start to drool. :?

For once, I have to say I miss my braces. I have a metal retainer attacted to my lower teeth, though... maybe I should go get a filling in one of my upper molars! :D

--hippie
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:47 am

hippietrekx wrote:I used to shock my self quite a bit when I still had braces. I'd wire a 9-volt to two wires, twist one to my lower arch-wire, and then place the other wire on my upper arch-wire. My head completed the circuit. Then I'd see white flashes like a strobe light and my jaws got numb! I learned not to leave the circuit completed for more than 30 seconds because my teeth got really hot and I'd start to drool. :?

Hippie, I'm starting to worry about you... :)
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby hippietrekx » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:26 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
hippietrekx wrote:I used to shock my self quite a bit when I still had braces. I'd wire a 9-volt to two wires, twist one to my lower arch-wire, and then place the other wire on my upper arch-wire. My head completed the circuit. Then I'd see white flashes like a strobe light and my jaws got numb! I learned not to leave the circuit completed for more than 30 seconds because my teeth got really hot and I'd start to drool. :?

Hippie, I'm starting to worry about you... :)

*blink* What do you mean "starting"? You should have been worried since my first post. I'm an insane insomniac... and a teenaged one at that... :lol:

--hipster
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:10 pm

hippietrek wrote:*blink* What do you mean "starting"? You should have been worried since my first post. I'm an insane insomniac... and a teenaged one at that... :lol:

--hipster

These revelations are really going to hurt the price when we try to sell you :D
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:23 pm

hippietrek wrote:*blink* What do you mean "starting"? You should have been worried since my first post. I'm an insane insomniac... and a teenaged one at that... :lol:

--hipster

These revelations are really going to hurt the price when we try to sell you :D

Whoa there fella...

Sell her?

I have no desire to sell her at any price. And I think those qualities are what gives her value.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:18 pm

Lance wrote:Whoa there fella...

Sell her?

Yes, didn't you follow the thread where hippe was trying to sell her friend?

I have no desire to sell her at any price. And I think those qualities are what gives her value.

Maybe you would like to buy her then? :D
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:40 pm

Lance wrote:Whoa there fella...

Sell her?

Yes, didn't you follow the thread where hippe was trying to sell her friend?

Nope. Not a word. I think that just makes her, um, "resourceful".

Maybe you would like to buy her then? :D

And then you have a bridge in Brooklyn available too, don't you?

Why would I have to buy her? She's already here.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:48 pm

Lance wrote:
Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:Maybe you would like to buy her then? :D

And then you have a bridge in Brooklyn available too, don't you?

Certainly! And at a good price, too!

Why would I have to buy her? She's already here.

There, see what you have done, hippie? I should have sold you before you told that story about your braces and the battery... :evil:
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:27 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:There, see what you have done, hippie? I should have sold you before you told that story about your braces and the battery... :evil:

That made her worth all the more! I just find hippe to be... Electrifying...

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hippietrekx » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:09 am

:lol: You can only sell me if you can find me. And I bet there's enough information out there to find me...

See, now, Khrushchev, you can't use my own ideas against me... they just don't work out for you in the end... :P

--hippie

P.S. I rather like being electrifying. Or electrified anyway...
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:16 am

hippietrekx wrote::lol: You can only sell me if you can find me. And I bet there's enough information out there to find me...

I'm leaving for Michigan in a few hours. Seriously, I am! But I'm not staying long...
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby MM_Dandy » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:31 pm

Lance wrote:That made her worth all the more! I just find hippe to be... Electrifying...

Ah, another valiant, but ultimately futile, attempt at steering us back on course. :wink:
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Return to Science and Technology