A bigger piece of pi

This forum can be broken out into additional areas as topic trends begin to develop.

A bigger piece of pi

Postby KLA2 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:12 am

So what's all this about? The idea of using twice-pi as the circle constant arose in a 2001 essay called "Pi is wrong!" by Bob Palais.

Hartl has expanded on those ideas and chose "tau" to represent this number.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation ... =obnetwork

Perhaps more theoretically minded mathematicians than I could comment. :roll:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:42 am

I think that if you take tau and divide by two, you would get pi.
Last edited by Мастер on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:07 am

Pi are round, pi are not square. I know that much from what they tau me in school.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby MM_Dandy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:43 pm

I don't know...that picture of Hartl makes him look more than a little like Jared Lee Loughner.

Michael Hartl:

Jared Lee Loughner:
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Enzo » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:18 am

Well, that is disturbing...
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:15 am

:shock: That IS disturbing.

I take Mactep's comment to be the final word on this odd concept.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby tubeswell » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:36 am

Enzo wrote:Pi are round, pi are not square. I know that much from what they tau me in school.

So, ... what did a pi cost when you were in school?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Enzo » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:16 am

I don't recall the pricing, but I do recall that I eta pi.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:47 am

{Curly Howard voice} Ooo, a frat boy, eh? Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Cornbread are a truncated cone

Postby rmercure » Tue May 03, 2011 1:47 pm

'Less you make "corn sticks" then that sort of a three dimensional elongated elipse.
"Hell Buddy, What's time to a hog?"
rmercure
NWOobie
NWOobie

Re: Cornbread are a truncated cone

Postby Мастер » Tue May 03, 2011 2:30 pm

rmercure wrote:'Less you make "corn sticks" then that sort of a three dimensional elongated elipse.

Ellipsoid!

a*x^2+2*b*x*y+2*c*x*z+d*y^2+2*e*y*z+f*z^2 == 1

with all three eigenvalues of [ a b c ; b d e ; c e f ] positive.

Welcome aboard, glad you decided to come in after the registration drama! :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Wed May 04, 2011 3:12 am

Hey, rmecure, good to hear from you. Even if I don't have a clue what you are talking about. :lol:

But, it appears Mactep does. Even if I don't have a clue what he is talking about. :P

So, it's all good. :wink:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

You don't eat cornbread?

Postby rmercure » Wed May 04, 2011 4:00 pm

Hell, you probably put sugar in grits also.

Nothing your location in the USA's former ICBM buffer zone I'm perty dang sure that Zea Maize grows there. Now I realize this is far far beyond what folks in these parts (Central Applachian Mountians of Virginia) would refer to as the "North" (although we're hardly, "Southerners" - "Hill Folk" actually) and probably pollute cornbread with white flour and sugar. Surely folks up your way take finely milled corn combined with a some sort of leavening and binder and make what's commonly know as "corn bread." Now "corn sticks" are simply corn beard batter poured in a cast iron pattern that loosely resembles a piece of corn on the cob (the "cob" is the woody/shaggy part formerly used as a disposable toilet accessory for out door privies before Sears started delivering those large catalogs with the ink that doesn't smear). They're delicious hot out of the oven dipped in butter milk - especially if it's "real" butter milk.

See, there, bud, I "learned" you something - but now I've started wondering perzactly what a "privy" council actually is/does.

Rob
rmercure
NWOobie
NWOobie

Re: You don't eat cornbread?

Postby KLA2 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:06 am

rmercure wrote:Hell, you probably put sugar in grits also.

Nothing your location in the USA's former ICBM buffer zone I'm perty dang sure that Zea Maize grows there. Now I realize this is far far beyond what folks in these parts (Central Applachian Mountians of Virginia) would refer to as the "North" (although we're hardly, "Southerners" - "Hill Folk" actually) and probably pollute cornbread with white flour and sugar. Surely folks up your way take finely milled corn combined with a some sort of leavening and binder and make what's commonly know as "corn bread." Now "corn sticks" are simply corn beard batter poured in a cast iron pattern that loosely resembles a piece of corn on the cob (the "cob" is the woody/shaggy part formerly used as a disposable toilet accessory for out door privies before Sears started delivering those large catalogs with the ink that doesn't smear). They're delicious hot out of the oven dipped in butter milk - especially if it's "real" butter milk.

See, there, bud, I "learned" you something - but now I've started wondering perzactly what a "privy" council actually is/does.

Rob

Well. Are you … talking to me? :shock:

Actually, most people in southern Ontario do not eat grits, often. I never have … would like to try them, though. With sugar, you say. :-k

More inclined to salty/spicy myself, but thanks for the recommendation. :)

I have had cornbread in restaurants a couple of times – tasty buttered, but I am not a big bread eater.

I have always used multi-ply toilet tissue, and hope I always will. Thank you for the survivalist suggestions, however. Never know when they might prove useful in the USA’s ICBM buffer zone. :wink:

I do like butter milk, however. Drink a short glass before bed, most days. Healthy stuff – Google it.

Privy means “private/privileged”, a small group that advises the head of state. But, you knew that. 8)

Finally, if you decide to post drunk, please give me a few hours notice so I can catch up to you. :lol:

Glad to meet you, Rob, and hope to know you better. Maybe post a little blurb about where you are from/at, your background, interests etc. That way, members will not respond to a corn bread recipe with advanced mathematical formulas. :P

Read some of the posts around here, and I am sure you will be glad to know us better as well. Hope so, and hope to be “learned” some more!
:D
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Thu May 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Well, I learned something: I didn't know that corn was grown in significant quantities in any part of Canada. In Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta, it's all wheat, wheat, and more wheat.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Мастер » Thu May 05, 2011 4:39 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:Well, I learned something: I didn't know that corn was grown in significant quantities in any part of Canada.

Choose your words carefully!
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:12 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:Well, I learned something: I didn't know that corn was grown in significant quantities in any part of Canada. In Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta, it's all wheat, wheat, and more wheat.

Corn is Canada's third largest grain crop (after wheat and barley) and the most important one in eastern Canada - with an annual Canadian production of approximately seven million tonnes of grain, produced on about one million hectares (2.5 million acres) of land. About 200,000 hectares of corn are also grown for harvest as forage (whole-plant silage). About 70% of Canadian corn is grown in Ontario. :D/

http://www.ontariocorn.org/envt/envcanad.html

Before I send the truck, MM_Dandy, you want that on or off the cob? :lol:

{Great story, Mactep. Have never heard it before.} 8)
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Just teasing

Postby rmercure » Fri May 06, 2011 2:15 am

KLA,

As you can tell I was teasing you a bit - I dunno where the best location on this site for a bit of bio is - any suggestions? And grits are never served sweet by folks in the mountains nor the south. It's a more salty, savory dish and my favorite is with garlic and sharp cheddar cheese (I understand that in Scotland oatmeal isn't sweetened either). Corn bread can be boringly tasteless or quite good and the best is only good hot right out of the skilled (black cast iron frying pan it's baked in) with butter milk. Once it cools it gets dry and crumbly and is the perfect compliment - crushed into - either black eyed peas (deeper south) or "soup beans" (pinto beans) once you leave the Blue Ridge and Ridge and Valley Provinces of the Appalachian Mountains (pronounced "apple - at - ya") and enter the Cumberland Plateau coal mining areas.

Rob

PS: Only place I've been in Canada is Nova Scotia and Newfoundland - which are really just the end of the Blue Ridge Mountains jutting out of the sea - more like "home" than not.
rmercure
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby tubeswell » Fri May 06, 2011 2:51 am

Hiya Rob,

Glad to see that somebody let you in. I dunno where bios are meant to go. I just put mine about here and there. $0.02

Pete
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Fri May 06, 2011 3:03 pm

KLA2 wrote:Corn is Canada's third largest grain crop (after wheat and barley) and the most important one in eastern Canada - with an annual Canadian production of approximately seven million tonnes of grain, produced on about one million hectares (2.5 million acres) of land. About 200,000 hectares of corn are also grown for harvest as forage (whole-plant silage). About 70% of Canadian corn is grown in Ontario. :D/

That's nice. If this site is right, Ontario had a yield of almost 320 million bushels of corn in 2010. Iowa yielded over 2 billion bushels. :mrgreen:

KLA2 wrote:Before I send the truck, MM_Dandy, you want that on or off the cob? :lol:
If you're sending sweet corn, definitely leave it on the cob. Otherwise, I've got two little boys who would just love to run a truck load of corn through one of these. (Alright, they'd love to do it for as long as the novelty lasts, anyway).
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby tubeswell » Sat May 07, 2011 12:53 am

MM_Dandy wrote:
KLA2 wrote:Corn is Canada's third largest grain crop (after wheat and barley) and the most important one in eastern Canada - with an annual Canadian production of approximately seven million tonnes of grain, produced on about one million hectares (2.5 million acres) of land. About 200,000 hectares of corn are also grown for harvest as forage (whole-plant silage). About 70% of Canadian corn is grown in Ontario. :D/

That's nice. If this site is right, Ontario had a yield of almost 320 million bushels of corn in 2010. Iowa yielded over 2 billion bushels. :mrgreen:

KLA2 wrote:Before I send the truck, MM_Dandy, you want that on or off the cob? :lol:
If you're sending sweet corn, definitely leave it on the cob. Otherwise, I've got two little boys who would just love to run a truck load of corn through one of these. (Alright, they'd love to do it for as long as the novelty lasts, anyway).

Haven't heard anything cornier in a while

tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Re: Just teasing

Postby KLA2 » Sun May 08, 2011 3:20 am

rmercure wrote:- I dunno where the best location on this site for a bit of bio is - any suggestions? PS: Only place I've been in Canada is Nova Scotia and Newfoundland - which are really just the end of the Blue Ridge Mountains jutting out of the sea - more like "home" than not.

Well... perhaps the forum, "Here there be Llamas" and the thread "Checking In"

But post it pretty much anywhere and the Mods will move it if necessary.

Best Mods anywhere. :wink:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Sun May 08, 2011 10:38 am

BTW, when did we have the last moderator action? Never after BT/Wanker Boy, right?
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lance » Sun May 08, 2011 12:00 pm

Arneb wrote:BTW, when did we have the last moderator action? Never after BT/Wanker Boy, right?

We occasionally move or split a thread. Mostly we delete spam and spammers so you guys never see them.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby tubeswell » Fri May 20, 2011 5:50 am

And that is why I appreciate you Lance. :P

tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Next

Return to Science and Technology