Watch out

This forum can be broken out into additional areas as topic trends begin to develop.

Watch out

Postby Enzo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:08 pm

I don't know what brought it to mind, but I was just recalling a wrist watch my dad kept in his dresser. He let me look at it now and then. It was a basic wrist watch, black face with off white hands. But the great part was that the hands and numbers glowed in the dark. Not the modern "charge it up" under a bright light type, but honest to god glows forever.

It was a radium dial watch. The hands and numbers were painted with a compound of some radium isotope powder and some mineral salts of some sort. The radiation made the minerals glow. They glowed a pale yellow/green color, not unlike say a key lime pie filling.

What fascinated me, and still would, is that the hands seemed alive. If I looked really close, I could see the light churning around. Like it was simmering. The radioactive decay I guess happened in a random way, so at any instant some of the mineral crystals would glow. You could watch it seething along.

This video of something kinda shows the alive thing, though it is much grainier, more sparkly.

Watch on youtube.com

I suspect if I wore such a watch today and tried to get on an airplane, my day would get real busy.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Re: Watch out

Postby Lance » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:31 pm

I had one as a kid. I never looked that closely at it, but now I wish I had.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Re: Watch out

Postby tubeswell » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:59 am

I had one as a kid to - glow in the dark stuff.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Return to Science and Technology