My First UFO Encounter

Have you seen a UFO?

My First UFO Encounter

Postby Lance » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:41 pm

Location: Long Island NY, 44.8265N 72.9570W (~60 miles East of NYC)
Date: Early 70's, in the Summer.
Time: Night, after sunset but before midnight.
Weather: Moonless night, cloudless sky
I would have been in my early teens.

I was sitting with my mother and grandmother on our back patio enjoying the Summer night. We were just quietly talking and looking at the stars. The house was directly behind me and blocked any view to the West. I think we all noticed it at the same time...

There was an oval shaped void behind which no stars could be seen. It had no visible outline of its own, but the oval shape was easily determined by the area you couldn't see behind it. Within the void were small, randomly placed but evenly distributed green lights. The lights did not blink. They were dimmer than most of the surrounding stars and numbered in the dozens with my best guess being 80-100 or so.

The oval appeared to be extremely high and huge. The size was roughly 3-4 moon diameters wide by 5-6 moon diameters long. This was determined by the thumb on out-stretched arm method. Movement was West to East. I would almost guess it was moving due East.

The speed of the oval is hard to determine. It was within our view for 3-4 minutes if I recall correctly, but it may have been shorter. It may have moved at approximately the same speed (I later learned) that a satellite arcs across the sky.

It was silent.

The three of us that witnessed it all agreed on the description of what we saw.

So...

What did we see?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Candy » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:51 pm

Did it look like this? 8-[
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:16 am

Candy wrote:Did it look like this? 8-[

Did I describe anything that looked like that?

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Candy » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:33 am

Lance wrote:
Candy wrote:Did it look like this? 8-[

Did I describe anything that looked like that?

Yes. Except for the green lights. :)
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:44 pm

Perhaps you see a similarity but I sure don't. And my OP was meant to be serious.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bill_Thompson » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:08 am

I think it was a blimp.

The Good Year blimp flew over Germantown when we were kids. Depending on the wind direction it can be silent and it is not always lit up.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby umop ap!sdn » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:08 am

But does the blimp have green lights all over it? :P

I doubt there were chemical lightsticks in the early '70s so that can't be it. :lol:
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:41 am

umop ap!sdn wrote:But does the blimp have green lights all over it? :P

I doubt there were chemical lightsticks in the early '70s so that can't be it. :lol:

yes, of course

:lol: and other colorful gestures in response to your :P (tongue sticking out)

The Goodyear blimb did this and lots more in the early '70s
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:42 am

Except for the green lights, the idea of a blimp is a good one. I can see how I could have interpretted a blimp like that.

But as umop says, why would a blimp have had all the green lights? And there were no other running lights either.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby KLA2 » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:05 pm

It is the nature of the human mind that we cannot just see a phenomenon and say “I have no idea what I just saw” and leave it at that. If it is not recognized (an airplane, a bird, a blimp) we tend to attach exotic explanations.

5,000 years ago, an observer in China might have said “a mighty dragon flew overhead, and the moonlight glittered off its green scales”

1,000 years ago, an observer in Europe might have said “a flock of Archangels flew overhead, their raiment’s blocked out the stars, and on the hilt of each sword an emerald glittered in the moonlight”.

Not making fun of you, Lance and I note that you did not jump to some exotic “it was an alien spacecraft” conclusion, just asked what it was. For a lot of people, it seems such jumps are human nature.

One night in the mid seventies, on a visit to cottage country where one could see the stars, I saw a bright object moving in a straight line across the sky. It was totally silent and moved much faster than any airplane. What could it be? All I could think of was that I had seen a UFO (read “alien spacecraft”)

Years later, I realized I had seen (you are all way ahead of me on this …) my first manmade satellite. :roll:

You will probably never find out what you saw. Here is a mundane explanation that might fit. Some factory in the area discharged a cloud of smoke or gas that obscured most of the stars, but the brightest shone through with a green tint.

Yeah, that’s it. Don’t make me put on my black suit and dark glasses and come around with that flashy pen thingy … 8)
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to UFOs, Aliens and Extraterrestrial Intelligence