Brown Mountain Lights

Miscellaneous hoaxes, conspiracies and all around bad things not covered elsewhere.

Brown Mountain Lights

Postby Candy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:23 pm

Prof. Seeks Truth Behind Legendary Lights
LINVILLE FALLS, N.C. (AP) - A full moon illuminates Linville Gorge, painting the river below in a pale, hazy glow. It's quite a view, though hardly the clear one Dan Caton had hoped for. Caton carefully scans the surrounding trees and studies the horizon over the low-lying ridge of Brown Mountain, trying to catch a glimpse of a spooky ball of light or a fleeting sparkle in the darkness.

The Appalachian State University physics and astronomy professor is chasing the elusive Brown Mountain Lights, a legend that has lured tourists for decades.

But in 20 visits over the years, Caton has yet to see the lights. And he's beginning wonder whether they actually exist.

"I think when I finally see them _ if ever _ it'll be one of those things where I go, 'Oh, I know what that is' or 'What was that?'" he said. "We just haven't seen it yet."

Over the years, watchers have tagged the Brown Mountain Lights as everything from ghosts to UFOs to various natural phenomena.

I've heard the story a few times before. I guess the woowoo's haven't jumped on it, yet. :?
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:57 pm

I think every state has something like that. Somewhere around Pine Bluff there's a decapitated railroad conducter still looking for his head. On certain nights, you can see the light from his lantern as he walks the line. :shock:
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:04 pm

This reminds me of the Scooby-Doo Show: The Headless Horseman of Halloween (1976). The headless horseman kept riding around shouting, "I want a head! Give me a head! I don't remember the show from 1976, but I remember watching it in ~1983. My friend and I just about died laughing. :lol:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:33 pm

"Scooby Doo", no that is a good show that takes a bunch of nonsense and finds a logical explanation. To bad more kid shows could be like that.
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:04 pm

I always thought I would end up married to someone like Shaggy. He was the cutest one. Plus, he really was the one that solved all the crimes. :wink:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:32 pm

At least you didn't end up with someone like Scooby. :P
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Conspiracy Theories and Hoaxes