Debunk me ! :)

Miscellaneous hoaxes, conspiracies and all around bad things not covered elsewhere.

Debunk me ! :)

Postby Disinfo Agent » Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:33 pm

ok , story of when i was 14 - weird shit that happened , see if you can make sense of it as i cant.

house is detached , 3 bedroomed , made of brick - in the house 2 sisters ~(twins) babies - me and my mother. living room door was glass so it was possible to see into hallway

at roughly 10pm at night , my father was out fishing and my baby sisters fast asleep in bed. My mother and I sat downstairs watching the Tv , suddenly the door opened , like a gust of wind.
I didnt think anything of it and stood up , closed the door , made sure it was shut tight and sat back down. within about a minute the handle slowly went down on the door and it reopened.
me and mother both quite startled at this and up i went yet again to shut the door.
this time on shutting the door i tested the door to make sure it couldnt blow open again and stepped back from the door.
the handle goes down on the door and the door swings open.
im looking into a well lit hallway with noone in it. no windows open for draughts - nothing
so i go to shut the door yet again only this time it does it itself
the handle goes up and down more times , banging comes from around the house and the door swings open and slams - then silence.
we checked the house over for anything , made sure my sisters were ok etc. nothing around.

i dont believe in god , i dont believe in ghosts , i have asked my mother recently to go over the events of that night to make sure i wasnt a bit confused and she says the same story as me.

so basically , im a skeptic but i know something happend and need input.

i know there was no wind - i know there was nobody in the hall and i know it wasnt my sisters or hallucinations

:?:
Last edited by Disinfo Agent on Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disinfo Agent
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Mr. Manly » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:46 am

It was the neighbor kid you would beat up for his lunch money. He got some payback by scareing the piss out of you.
Got my jackboots polished and woo-woo bashin' on my mind.
Mr. Manly
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby twinstead » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:07 pm

I think everybody, even we debunkers, should realize occasionally there is a lot of freaky stuff out there we don't know about.

That said, I think it was lens flare.
AKA DogFishHead on GLP

The great thing about being a cynic is that in the end, you are either right or pleasantly surprised
twinstead
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:23 pm

twinstead wrote:That said, I think it was lens flare.

They just want you to think it was a lens flare.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:33 pm

twinstead wrote:That said, I think it was lens flare.

:glp-1rof1:

Well, I agree that some things are just freaky, and more than just a little unsettling. For what it is worth, my dad tells a similar story from his own childhood. When he was quite young, he and his parents went to visit an elderly neighbor couple. The house was old (old for around here, anyway) then and has, in fact, been destroyed many years ago, and like many old farm houses, it had its quirks (settling, creaks, bumps, etc). In particular, this couple kept a little-used outside door closed and locked. While dad was playing near the door, it slowly swung open, stayed that way for a minute or so, then slowly closed again. When dad checked the handle, it was locked. When he mentioned it, the old man said, "Oh, it does that every once in a while."

My grandmother has confirmed the story, so I don't think that he's pulling my leg. On the other hand, it could be that someone played a trick on him, and never let anybody in on it. Whether it was for real or not, it's still a cool story.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby twinstead » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:02 pm

For me, it brings up a good issue.

Even though most of us will debunk with reckless abandon when some woo woo starts spouting off about the alien that channels through him or the ghost that he shares his deep-fried Twinkie with every evening after dinner, in reality I believe most of us would just LOVE for aliens, UFOs, ghosts, etc to exist.

I have never had an experience I would call freaky or unexplained; I wish I would.
AKA DogFishHead on GLP

The great thing about being a cynic is that in the end, you are either right or pleasantly surprised
twinstead
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Mon Jul 18, 2005 2:13 pm

I agree twinstead and that is a good point.

Sometimes I think the debunkers get a little over zealous, which, IMHO, doesn't do well for our credibility collectively. Take the thread Rectangular boulder image from Eros at BABB for example. There's obviously a big rock sitting in a crater. A funny shaped rock at that. Yet there are those who are seriously trying to debunk it.

In a serious discussion, I would tend to think less of the opinions offered by those people.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Superluminal » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:00 am

I just finished reading that thread. I was surprised that so many people wanted to dismiss it as photographic anamoly. It was clearly a big rock, it cast a shadow. Big deal.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Re: Debunk me ! :)

Postby Cl1mh4224rd » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:29 am

Disinfo Agent wrote:so basically , im a skeptic but i know something happend and need input.

i know there was no wind - i know there was nobody in the hall and i know it wasnt my sisters or hallucinations

That story gave me chills... :?

Needless to say, I have no idea how to explain something like that.
Cl1mh4224rd
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Mr. Manly » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:50 pm

I too wish I could have a ghost/alien/ufo experience. Unfortunatly I never have but believe in the possibility.
As for the rock in the crater thing. The biggest problem with post like that is that some woo-woo will always come on that thread saying that it is proof that there are artifical structures on said heavenly body or that the body itself is an artifical structure. Hell, there were those saying Tempel 1 was a spaceship of some kind. I think some of the debunkers just jump the gun on threads like that subconsiously knowing what's coming.
Got my jackboots polished and woo-woo bashin' on my mind.
Mr. Manly
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby umop ap!sdn » Tue Jul 19, 2005 6:56 pm

When I was about 13, my parents and I were visiting some friends and stayed overnight. I and their 2 daughters slept downstairs, where there was a screen door that led to the driveway outside. Okay, so we turned out all the lights and it was dark - really dark - and not 5 minutes later we hear this weird noise. Like someone sliding their hand back and forth on the carpet. They asked if it was me making that noise; I strained to see in the darkness but couldn't.

Somehow I managed to go to sleep, but woke up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. I asked them to turn the light on because it was still pitch black in there and I needed to be able to see - no response. So I fumbled my way over there then found my way back to my sleeping bag on the floor. In the morning when I woke up, they were acting as though nothing had happened.

Come to find out that during the night not only had the adults heard a noise like someone playing with the screen door, but the 2 daughters had run up the stairs screaming that there were ghosts in the house. Don't ask me how I slept through that. Ordinarily you can come up to my doorway and whisper "you awake" and my eyes will bolt open.

So there's my strangest brush with weirdness... not to umm, brag or anything. 8-[ :lol:
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby gillianren » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:18 am

have to say, it looks like a pixel to me, but I'm no expert!
Gillian

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

--Maskerade
gillianren
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Dan The Mediocre » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:06 pm

The same thing happens to the door to my room. What happens is that there is lower pressure in one room than the other. Air moves through the space between the door and the frame, even past the bolt. As it goes by, it pushes the bolt slight in, just enough for the moving air to push the door open.

And as far as opening and closing itself, I think it's just air moving in, then some moving back out to reequalize the pressure.
Dan The Mediocre
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Lance » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:11 pm

Dan The Mediocre wrote:The same thing happens to the door to my room. What happens is that there is lower pressure in one room than the other. Air moves through the space between the door and the frame, even past the bolt. As it goes by, it pushes the bolt slight in, just enough for the moving air to push the door open.

And as far as opening and closing itself, I think it's just air moving in, then some moving back out to reequalize the pressure.

To paraphrase hippietrekx, perhaps:

"air pressure is how, ghosts are why."

Okay, maybe not.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hippietrekx » Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:41 am

Lance wrote:
Dan The Mediocre wrote:The same thing happens to the door to my room. What happens is that there is lower pressure in one room than the other. Air moves through the space between the door and the frame, even past the bolt. As it goes by, it pushes the bolt slight in, just enough for the moving air to push the door open.

To paraphrase hippietrekx, perhaps:

"air pressure is how, ghosts are why."

Okay, maybe not.

Hmm... somehow you paraphasation or my quote just dosen't make sense here. :P

I live in a house that's over 150 years old. Floors creak for no reason, windows that were shut tight wind up with small opening again, door handles wiggle.

I'm just not spooked anymore. Nothing's been as extreme as some of ^^^those stories, but some of the elements seem to fit the bill...

--hipster
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby zebo-the-fat » Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:42 pm

I had a case of haunting by clock!

An ex-girlfriend lived in a tower block, I got a frantic phone call one night from her saying "she could hear a clock" I thought "so what" but she didn't have a clock that ticked, but she could hear one.
After some "discusion" (of her mental state) I drove down to see and hear for myself. I checked, and she did not have any clocks that ticked, all were digital. By this time it was around 1 or 2 AM and very quiet, I listened and I could hear a ticking! As I moved around the room I found the sound to be louder near the window, when I put my head behind the curtains it became much louder. Looking up I realised what was going on, the guy who lived in the room above had a loud clock, the sound was transmited through a ventilation duct to a vent above the window, it was like a speaking tube! Wierd but explainable, but it did make me think!
The meek will inherit the earth ... the rest of us will go to the stars.
zebo-the-fat
Government Shill
Government Shill

Return to Conspiracy Theories and Hoaxes