Ancient Bible Found

Miscellaneous hoaxes, conspiracies and all around bad things not covered elsewhere.

Ancient Bible Found

Postby teri tait » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:20 am

So I read a story that went out regarding a Bible that was found. The story went out on Feb 6, stating this Bible is written in an Aramaic dialect and could be as old as 2000 yrs because of the language style or script. I think it was found in Syria?

Anyway, the story stated it may be a hoax and then poof. No follow up, no additional information.

The police got it during a raid on illegal artifact dealers. No information as to where they got it. :shifty:

I think its the real deal and they are holding it back.
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:56 am

Check the cover page. "Printed in China" would be a clue. :lol:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby teri tait » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:05 am

Just because the manufacturer embossed on your metal casing says Made In China, doesn't mean everything is!

This could be the major theology discovery of the ages!!

Hmmph, the freakin' bone box of James got more press than this did.

They just called it a hoax and then... profound silence. That screams disinformation. Why wouldn't there be follow up confirming who what where when and why?

I think they found the legendary Vellum T
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:07 am

teri tait wrote:Just because the manufacturer embossed on your metal casing says Made In China, doesn't mean everything is!

This could be the major theology discovery of the ages!!

Hmmph, the freakin' bone box of James got more press than this did.

They just called it a hoax and then... profound silence. That screams disinformation. Why wouldn't there be follow up confirming who what where when and why?

I was just going to mention that. I read an article a few months ago that exposed that as a hoax ... ossuary, I think it is called ... I will try to find the reference.

ETA: Ah, found it.

The owner of the ossuary, Oded Golan, is now on trial in Israel for forging the inscription on the bone box reading "James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus," and a tablet claimed to have come from the first Temple of Solomon.

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/529746

I once read that in the "good old days" of religious relics, in the middle ages, there were enough certified pieces of the "true cross" circulating in Europe to have built Noah's Ark. :lol:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:40 am

It would be interesting to see just how much it varies from the bibles the church has edited for a millennium. :roll:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby teri tait » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:53 am

Yes, Kla2, you have a valid point. The relics were hawked quite LOUDLY though. The real relics were/are secured and only examined by the chosen few. Theft of relics, real relics, is a concern. Also damage caused by handling.

DS makes a great point, why isn't it being compared to other biblical writing?

And where is it right now?

Look at the Nag Hammadi scrolls, they've been translating those for over 60 years! Combing them over for every nuance.

This, not even a whisper. One tiny net story.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:32 pm

Well what was the source of the story? perhaps it was yet another piece of fooey that doesn't merit further attention. I mean someone "discovers" the "real" remains of Noah's Ark avery year or two. Always winds up somehow they can;t quite get back to it. SHould we sound trumpets every time that happens?

A copy of "the Bible" that was 2000 years old would really be an interesting artifact, since the Bible is a collection of works, not one thing written at once.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:10 pm

I'd guess that a 2,000 y.o. Bible written in Aramaic would probably be a copy of the Tanakh. While finding a 'complete' one of that age would be fairly significant, I'm not sure where it exactly ranks in headline news. Perhaps Discovery or one of the History Channels might run an article online or perhaps it'll be featured in an episode of The Naked Archeologist.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Terri is vastly more interested in the subject.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby teri tait » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:52 am

Of course I'm interested. I love a good mystery :cool:

Besides, it could have all kinds of insight, regardless of its age. It has illustrations and I have a fondness for illuminated writing :D

Book of Kells is infinitely fascinating with its tiny, tiny pictures. One square inch holds some thing like 40 drawings. Its amazing.

Here's the newly discovered bible story:

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyl ... 06?sp=true

That's the only one I have been able to find :(
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Conspiracy Theories and Hoaxes