A Sane X-GLPer

Miscellaneous hoaxes, conspiracies and all around bad things not covered elsewhere.

A Sane X-GLPer

Postby Lance » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:17 am

I wonder if this guy is for real:

This is my last post on GLP. My study has ended.

I´ve determined by a couple months of reading GLP that America is indeed in trouble. Not from Bush, not from China, not from nuclear suitcases, or from Aliens. By using GLP as a way to study young Americans, I´ve found that they are the trouble and the cancer that will kill this country. To think that a future President will one day be elected from your ranks is incomprehensible. Basically, from the young Americans that have posted here over these last few months, I find that they are deeply afraid, borderline paranoia, with feelings of dissension towards everything. Bush maybe to blame for a lot of this but not all. This country has seen hard times before. And the citizens stood tall. Now these young Americans complain, cry, and think of doom and destruction. They certainly would not have been able to live through the cold war. If the WWII generation is called the greatest, then this one has to be labeled the most frightened. They hate Bush, therefore they hate their country. Being unable to disassociate the two, they believe that Bush IS America and if I hate Bush, I have to hate my own country. This can´t be further from the truth. In your lives, you will see many elected officials you do not like. But you still support your country. All this talk of the Illuminati, TPTB, conspiracies about 9-11, Bush being a dictator and freedoms being taken away are so far out in left field that one can only come to the conclusion that a very paranoid, dissillusioned young generation is coming up and that scares me more than anything I´ve read here on GLP. In closing I will predict that the responses to this post will be along the lines of the OP being an Agent, a troll, an Illuminati member, a disinfo agent, an asshat and many others. People that I´ve described here in this post will never think rationally until they recieve some sort of counseling and treatment. I thank you all for taking part in my study which will be published officially in 3 months. I´m a Professor of Sociology at a local universty and a student of mine recommended GLP for the study. It was fun at first but when the results started coming together, it became sad quickly. I would heavily recommend to those that have their heads on straight, to try and help your brethren. Farewell and God Bless!
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Re: A Sane X-GLPer

Postby Cl1mh4224rd » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:39 pm

Lance wrote:I wonder if this guy is for real:

Hmm... I doubt it. If he was doing real research, he would've realized that the folks on GLP aren't all "young Americans". Unless he has a way of deducing the age of an anonymous poster, I think he may just be blowing hot air.

Not that I disagree with what he said, of course. ;)
Cl1mh4224rd
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby jfribrg » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:47 pm

I wonder what kind of conclusions you could possibly make from this "study". There isn't exactly a control group, and it is rather clear that you don't have a representative cross section of society, so I'm not sure exactly what it is that is being studied. In addition to assuming that everyone at GLP is young, the poster also assumes that they are all Americans. Add to that the fact that threads are routinely deleted, and you get a bunch of garbage for your data, and we all know what GIGO means. If this "study" really is published, then in addition to worrying about the future of the country, I also worry about how someone with apparently no understanding of social science research methods could become a professor.
jfribrg
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Мастер » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:04 pm

jfribrg wrote:I wonder what kind of conclusions you could possibly make from this "study". There isn't exactly a control group, and it is rather clear that you don't have a representative cross section of society, so I'm not sure exactly what it is that is being studied. In addition to assuming that everyone at GLP is young, the poster also assumes that they are all Americans. Add to that the fact that threads are routinely deleted, and you get a bunch of garbage for your data, and we all know what GIGO means. If this "study" really is published, then in addition to worrying about the future of the country, I also worry about how someone with apparently no understanding of social science research methods could become a professor.

Don't know about sociology, but in some fields, there are journals that will publish just about anything accompanied by a submission fee. But everyone knows which are the good journals in his/her field, and publication in some journals is regarded about as highly as publication at one's personal web page. Maybe this person really is a professor, the requirements aren't that high at some teaching colleges.

But, at the intuitive level, my first reaction upon viewing GLP is that supply of people to work the midnight shift behind the register at the 7-11 is secure. But then my second reaction is, if I ran a 7-11, I sure wouldn't want one of these chuckleheads working for me...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Animal » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:50 am

I've just spent the better part of 2 hours winding my way through GLP. I had not heard of this site before visiting yours, and probably wouldn't have gone there if it wasn't for you folks.

I therefore blame YOU for wasting my time and killing my brain cells. :)

Ya all need some better targets, people. How about http://www.coasttocoastam.com. I know I'm new and have no buisness making a suggestion like this, but guys: fish + barrel = no joy and the need for a new barrel.

By the way, I posted to GLP under "www.dihydromonoxide.org" without registering. I'll never register. I just wouldn't feel clean doing so. On the other hand, I got 12 hits to my site after posting...
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Мастер » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:35 am

Animal wrote:I therefore blame YOU for wasting my time and killing my brain cells. :)

Glad to be of service.

Ya all need some better targets, people. How about http://www.coasttocoastam.com. I know I'm new and have no buisness making a suggestion like this, but guys: fish + barrel = no joy and the need for a new barrel.

People talk about this site at Bad Astronomy, I haven't been there. GLP is the best argument against democracy I have ever seen.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:32 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:GLP is the best argument against democracy I have ever seen.

As well as pro eugenics.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Animal » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:29 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:People talk about this site at Bad Astronomy, I haven't been there. GLP is the best argument against democracy I have ever seen.

Its the official site for a nationally syndicated radio show. Originally hosted by Art Bell and now run by George Nory (sp?) All sorts of bad science, conspiracies, etc. Never any hard questions asked of the guests. The host just blindly accepts everything uttered as pure fact, even when the guest contradicts a prior guest.

the absolute worst part of this is that George Nory occasional manages to get Michio Kaku to come on. Kaku is a fairly renowned astrophysist. A real scientist.

The dude from Bad Astronomy also make the occasional appearance.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Мастер » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:50 pm

Lance wrote:
Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:GLP is the best argument against democracy I have ever seen.

As well as pro eugenics.

That's the irony of it, they are slowing turning me into the thing they say I have been all along :D
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:52 pm

Animal wrote:The dude from Bad Astronomy also make the occasional appearance.

That's usually when people over at BABB start talking about it. Their description of the radio show matches yours pretty well...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby hippietrekx » Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:16 am

*blink* Hmm... I'm not paranoid... don't hate America OR Bush (I may not agree with some policies of his, but that's not reason for hate)... I am however young and American, so... I guess my brain will turn to mush? :?

GLP (or any board) is a community that brings together people of LIKE minds and ideas. America is just so much more diverse than GLPers. Yeah, we may be careful, but not paranoid. We have to be careful; for us "murder" is a nightly occurence on the news. Sure, kids do think of doom and such. Look at the media. "Bombers in Iraq, Terror Threat Rises, More Casualties." How are we supposed to simply ignore all this? Doom for most teens just isn't the paranoia this guy says it is. Doom is just current events.

And then there are the kids that make doom into a joke. Doom becomes fun. An instance is the motto my freinds and I share: Live life to the fullest, 'cause you don't know when the Comet of Doom will kill us all. So, in that case, doom becomes the motivation to lead a good life.

A study of one board just isn't enough to make an assumption about an entire generation. In scientific studies, experiments are conducted many, even hundreds, of times to eliminate statistical outliers and freak occurences. GLP is truly filled with outliers.

Then again, maybe I'm an outlier because I'm a teenager that actually uses that meat which fills my cranial cavity...

*sigh* I just get tired of people making broad assuptions about my generation/ age group because of a few bad instances.

--hipster
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Animal » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:17 am

hippietrekx wrote:*sigh* I just get tired of people making broad assuptions about my generation/ age group because of a few bad instances.

--hipster

Making broad assumptions is necessary. You may not like it because you fall outside of the baseline, but you'll have to live with it. You can not possible expect people to take every single human on the planet as an individual when speaking about society. Its impossible.

For instance:
I poll 100 people about their favorite color.
90 say Blue.
4 say Pink.
6 say Chartreuse, because this poll is being done in California.

I can rightly state that these people favor Blue. Unless I am making a statistical report, I do not have to state what the percentage was nor what other colors were selected.

Therefore, if 90% of your generation are morons, people will say, correctly, that all of you are morons. Its impractical to require a person to say "That generation is moronic except for hippietrekx."
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Мастер » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:23 pm

Animal wrote:Therefore, if 90% of your generation are morons, people will say, correctly, that all of you are morons.

I agree that people will say it, I do not agree that it is correct.

In any event, the 14-year old GLPers don't strike me as nearly as pathetic as the 40-year old GLPers...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby hippietrekx » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:10 am

Animal wrote:
hippietrekx wrote:*sigh* I just get tired of people making broad assuptions about my generation/ age group because of a few bad instances.

--hipster

Making broad assumptions is necessary. You may not like it because you fall outside of the baseline, but you'll have to live with it. You can not possible expect people to take every single human on the planet as an individual when speaking about society. Its impossible.

Meh, never said I couldn't put up with it. I just get tired of it. I also get tired of those dust bunnies that are so far under the dryer I can't reach them, but I put up with them, too... :x

--hipster
hippietrekx
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Animal » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:20 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
Animal wrote:Therefore, if 90% of your generation are morons, people will say, correctly, that all of you are morons.

In any event, the 14-year old GLPers don't strike me as nearly as pathetic as the 40-year old GLPers...

So you, yourself, are self admittedly incorrect by making a sweeping generalization of your personal feelings. Furthermore you are admitting to a bias based upon age which is not only morally wrong, but illegal if practised openly.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Мастер » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:25 pm

Animal wrote:

So you, yourself, are self admittedly incorrect by making a sweeping generalization of your personal feelings.

Most certainly not! Your post contains "all"; mine does not! Perhaps your definition of "all" is different than mine?

Furthermore you are admitting to a bias based upon age which is not only morally wrong

Well now, that would depend on one's morals, wouldn't it?

but illegal if practised openly.

Wow. What jurisdiction are you in?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Animal » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:40 pm

This is gonna get real complicated with all the quotes...

Animal wrote:

So you, yourself, are self admittedly incorrect by making a sweeping generalization of your personal feelings.

Most certainly not! Your post contains "all"; mine does not! Perhaps your definition of "all" is different than mine?

Furthermore you are admitting to a bias based upon age which is not only morally wrong

Well now, that would depend on one's morals, wouldn't it?

but illegal if practised openly.

Wow. What jurisdiction are you in?

1) I did use "all". I have no idea if our definitions match, but I think we can assume that they do. My point was that generalizations are acceptable and therefore I used "all" in my example. This is logical and not contradictory.
2) Morals = Golden rule.
3) Four letters, and not the ones you think, AARP. Granted that they concern themselves with people much older than 40, but they have done a hell of a lot to prevent any sort of descrimination based on age, except when that descrimination means that older people get more stuff than younder ones.

Animal
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Conley Powell » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:04 pm

GLP is not only an argument against democracy and for eugenics, it's an argument for euthanasia...
Conley Powell
NWOobie
NWOobie

Return to Conspiracy Theories and Hoaxes