Alaska Bigfoot

Miscellaneous hoaxes, conspiracies and all around bad things not covered elsewhere.

Postby Lianachan » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:41 pm

There's no way something as large as Nessie is usually described as could pass through the River Ness, which is very shallow in sections and goes through the heart of the city of Inverness, unobserved (if at all).

Also, not sure if it would be a factor or not, but the river and loch are fresh water.

There's also the Caledonian canal linking the sea and the loch, but then Nessie would have to rely on the good will of humans to operate lock gates for her.

Plus, of course, what BM65 says there - what would be the point.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby KLA2 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:02 am

From the sea to the Loch, eh?

Now we get into the realm of (fun) speculation. It has been suggested that Nessie could be a plesiosaur, or some relative. Perhaps such a creature could wriggle over shallows in a river. Perhaps the Loch offers a more abundant food supply, or a haven safe from predators to breed, or relief from salt-water parasites (who cannot survive in fresh water). There are parallels in nature.

Still, the issue of viable population size, and the question of how any reasonable number of such large creatures could go essentially undetected and certainly unproven.

It is fun to imagine a sasquatch wearing a snorkel, riding the back of a plesiosaur leaping high above the Loch, giving skeptics the finger. Now I imagine I am the only one to see this, and have forgotten my camera. :(
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lianachan » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:09 am

KLA2 wrote:It has been suggested that Nessie could be a plesiosaur, or some relative. Perhaps such a creature could wriggle over shallows in a river. Perhaps the Loch offers a more abundant food supply, or a haven safe from predators to breed, or relief from salt-water parasites (who cannot survive in fresh water). There are parallels in nature.

Not fun for long, sadly. It's highly unlikely a plesiosaur sized creature could pass undetected along the river, and certainly not through the canal. Wrt food supply, the loch actually doesn't have as much food in there as you'd think (or, to inject a bit more fun, as much as there "should be"!).
KLA2 wrote:Still, the issue of viable population size, and the question of how any reasonable number of such large creatures could go essentially undetected and certainly unproven.

Indeed. Loch Ness is large, and is extremely deep. It actually contains more fresh water than can be found in all of England and Wales - there'd be room for an immortal creature or two to hide in there, for sure, but there's not enough room for a breeding population to go unnoticed.
KLA2 wrote:It is fun to imagine a sasquatch wearing a snorkel, riding the back of a plesiosaur leaping high above the Loch, giving skeptics the finger. Now I imagine I am the only one to see this, and have forgotten my camera. :(

You wouldn't need a camera - just knock something together. Folk will be buying cuddly toy versions of that out of Drumnadrochit within weeks.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:20 am

KLA2 wrote:It is fun to imagine a sasquatch wearing a snorkel, riding the back of a plesiosaur leaping high above the Loch, giving skeptics the finger. Now I imagine I am the only one to see this, and have forgotten my camera.

As this is a public forum, it's only a matter of time until said image is online.

And "confirmed as real" by some expert.
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:17 am

^, ^^, :lol:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:49 pm

If so, for what purpose? Is there something the Loch offers that the sea wouldn't?

Sure, photo ops.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby tubeswell » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:13 am

Bigfoot, as I picture him
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Superluminal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:00 pm

A little white box with a little red X? 8)
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby tubeswell » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:52 am

No - I can see homer in a bigfoot suit on my screen.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Superluminal » Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:27 am

Ah, I know that one.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Previous

Return to Conspiracy Theories and Hoaxes