God is my co-pilot

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Postby KLA2 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:11 pm

Enzo wrote:Could God create a stone so big and heavy that he couldn't lift it? If so, why?

So He could get stoned?

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/rainy.html

{runs away, dodging the barrage of stale buns}
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:01 am

And you KNOW something's happening here, but you don't know what it is, do you, Mr KLA2?

So on the way to work today I got behind a pickup with dog stickers all over and the plates read "DOG BUS."

One bumper sticker read "My dog is smarter than your honor student."

But there among the others was this message:
"Dog is my copilot."
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Superluminal » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:27 am

umop ap!sdn wrote:And why not create the chicks already impressed? :P

That's one thing most religious people seem to agree on is that god does not control free will. Otherwise we would all love god without question. Therefore god could not create the chicks already impressed.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:18 am

I dunno, if the chicks were already impressed, that would enhance my free will outlook.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:14 pm

Superluminal wrote:That's one thing most religious people seem to agree on is that god does not control free will.

Which means god cannot be omniscient...

I had this debate with a pastor friend a while back. It didn't go well.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby KLA2 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:39 pm

Enzo wrote:And you KNOW something's happening here, but you don't know what it is, do you, Mr KLA2?

"There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear"

http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/forwhati.htm

:?:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:53 pm

Lance wrote:
Superluminal wrote:That's one thing most religious people seem to agree on is that god does not control free will.

Which means god cannot be omniscient...

I had this debate with a pastor friend a while back. It didn't go well.

We had it here, too. A couple of things, here, though. I'm not so sure that most religious people would hold that their God or Gods do not control the actions of people. In fact, many say things as "God caused so-and-so to do such-and-such." Also, even if an omniscient being does not control free will it does not necessarily follow that it cannot.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Lance » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:34 pm

Okay, here's my way of thinking...

IF: There is an "all-knowing" god
and IF: There was a "moment of creation"
THEN: Evey action and choice made by everyone, for ever, was "known" to the creator even before that "moment of creation".
THEREFORE: All those future actions and choices were predetermined, because they were all part of that moment of creation.
So there can be no real free will. The script was written and finalized before the stage was ever built.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby troubleagain » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:23 pm

Why not think that He created and set everything in motion and just let things happen as they would? Makes just as much sense to me as your way of thinking, and would be a heck of a lot more fun for Him.
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:14 pm

Lance wrote:Okay, here's my way of thinking...

IF: There is an "all-knowing" god
and IF: There was a "moment of creation"
THEN: Evey action and choice made by everyone, for ever, was "known" to the creator even before that "moment of creation".
THEREFORE: All those future actions and choices were predetermined, because they were all part of that moment of creation.
So there can be no real free will. The script was written and finalized before the stage was ever built.

Very interesting. In fact, your conclusion resembles a passage from the Bible, even (from Psalm 139). But before I say whether or not I agree with you, I'd like to know if you consider "real free will" to be different from any other type of free will, and if you do, what makes it different.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Enzo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:55 am

It boils down to what your definition of "all knowing" or "omniscient" might be. Not being cute, it is not as obvious as it might look.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:51 am

Enzo wrote:It boils down to what your definition of "all knowing" or "omniscient" might be. Not being cute, it is not as obvious as it might look.

There's a similar problem with omnipotent :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby MM_Dandy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:28 am

Enzo wrote:It boils down to what your definition of "all knowing" or "omniscient" might be. Not being cute, it is not as obvious as it might look.

Actually, I find that agreeing on a definition for "free will" and coming to a conclusion as to whether or not it exists more difficult.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Enzo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:33 am

So you see, Lance, we have Marshall McLuhan right here and he says you're all wet...
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:47 am

troubleagain wrote:Why not think that He created and set everything in motion and just let things happen as they would? Makes just as much sense to me as your way of thinking, and would be a heck of a lot more fun for Him.

It's not a matter of what I believe. I'm just making the case that, logically, omniscience, a moment of creation and free will can't peacefully coexist.

MM_Dandy wrote:I'd like to know if you consider "real free will" to be different from any other type of free will, and if you do, what makes it different.

Um, no, I don't think so.

I may perceive that I have the choice to go straight or turn right at the next intersection. But if my path was predetermined then I had no choice at all. I only thought I did.

I pretty much use this one.

Enzo wrote:So you see, Lance, we have Marshall McLuhan right here and he says you're all wet...

Um, huh?

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MM_Dandy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:00 pm

Lance wrote:
MM_Dandy wrote:I'd like to know if you consider "real free will" to be different from any other type of free will, and if you do, what makes it different.

Um, no, I don't think so.

I may perceive that I have the choice to go straight or turn right at the next intersection. But if my path was predetermined then I had no choice at all. I only thought I did.

Lance wrote:

I pretty much use this one.

I agree with your definition of omniscience, Lance, but I don't agree that predeterminism has to rely on omniscience or an act of creation. In other words, I believe that you could remove omniscience and creation from the discussion, and still make an argument for predeterminism.

Lance wrote:
Enzo wrote:So you see, Lance, we have Marshall McLuhan right here and he says you're all wet...

Um, huh?

I Googled Mr. McLuhan, and I'm none the wiser, myself.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Мастер » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:21 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:I agree with your definition of omniscience, Lance, but I don't agree that predeterminism has to rely on omniscience or an act of creation. In other words, I believe that you could remove omniscience and creation from the discussion, and still make an argument for predeterminism.

I think the problem is the other way, is lack of predeterminism inconsistent with omniscience.

A == omniscience
B == predetermination

So you said B->A is not a correct implication. But what about ~B->~A?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:17 pm

I'm sorry, I thought it was more obvious. A tip of the hat to the famous scene in Annie Hall where they - ANnie and Woody Allen's character - are in line at the movies, and someone in line is going on and on about Marshall McLuhan, and Woody has heard enough and turns and tells the guy he doesn't know what he is talking about, and then in a moment of surrealism, he says "in fact I have Marshall McLuhan right here" - he does indeed - and McLuhan tells the guy "You know nothing of my work."

MvLuhan was a well known guy in the 1960s and 70s, his famous book was The Medium is the Message.

Roger Ebert says:
Alvy is smarter than the ground rules of Hollywood currently allow. Watching even the more creative recent movies, one becomes aware of a subtle censorship being imposed, in which the characters cannot talk about anything the audience might not be familiar with. This generates characters driven by plot and emotion rather than by ideas; they use catch-phrases rather than witticisms. Consider the famous sequence where Annie and Alvy are standing in line for the movies and the blowhard behind them pontificates loudly about Fellini. When the pest switches over to McLuhan, Alvy loses patience, confronts him, and then triumphantly produces Marshall McLuhan himself from behind a movie poster to inform him, "You know nothing of my work!" This scene would be penciled out today on the presumption that no one in the audience would have heard of Fellini or McLuhan.

I think Roger is right.

So I don't really think you are all wet, I just liked the reference there. I like the idea of having your own QED to bring along with you.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby MM_Dandy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:21 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
MM_Dandy wrote:I agree with your definition of omniscience, Lance, but I don't agree that predeterminism has to rely on omniscience or an act of creation. In other words, I believe that you could remove omniscience and creation from the discussion, and still make an argument for predeterminism.

I think the problem is the other way, is lack of predeterminism inconsistent with omniscience.

A == omniscience
B == predetermination

So you said B->A is not a correct implication. But what about ~B->~A?

Well, if Determinism is true, it would be inconsistent.

If not, we might have to discuss whether or not omniscience includes the outcomes of indeterminate events -- does an omniscient being have knowledge of that which is impossible to know?
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby MM_Dandy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:38 am

Enzo wrote:I'm sorry, I thought it was more obvious...

:lol: That Woody Allen, he's a smart fella.

I'd like to say I was playing along, but the entirety of history and laws of physics prevent me from doing so. :P
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Мастер » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:24 am

MM_Dandy wrote:Well, if Determinism is true, it would be inconsistent.

Which one?

MM_Dandy wrote:If not, we might have to discuss whether or not omniscience includes the outcomes of indeterminate events -- does an omniscient being have knowledge of that which is impossible to know?

OK, my assumption (and I think the assumption of whomever started this one) was that it would.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:45 am

MM_Dandy wrote:does an omniscient being have knowledge of that which is impossible to know?

That's my point... If the omniscient being is also responsible for the entirety of creation, then how could the being not know? The being created the knowledge/situation/what-ever in the first place.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby troubleagain » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:18 pm

See, I *knew* who Marshall McLuhan was, and his book and all that from my college Humanities class, and I still didn't get the reference. Now I know why--I hate Woody Allen.
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:22 am

Waydaminit - Woody Allen is God?

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:56 pm

troubleagain wrote:See, I *knew* who Marshall McLuhan was, and his book and all that from my college Humanities class, and I still didn't get the reference. Now I know why--I hate Woody Allen.

I agree...usually the only Woody I like is my own.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

PreviousNext

Return to Religion and Spirituality