Christians and the primitive brain

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Christians and the primitive brain

Postby Frogmarch » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:15 pm

I wasn't sure if I should post a thread at the David Icke(Lizard conspiracy proponent)forum about the primitive brain. If I read correctly, part of what they believe is not that people are lizards but that they are dominated by their primitive brain in a negative way.
ie the brain our very distant ancestors had as lizards which in human brains is the limbic system(I think) which deals with primitive emotions like love and fear and sex and this is the part of the brain that runs the heart and hormones and other chemicals.
I have read that we evolved from salamander, I dont know if they are lizards or not, I kind of newt.

Anyway I just wondered what the importance of the fish as a symbol for Christianity. I mean the salamander evolved from fish so maybe the fish symbol is referring to the primitive brain. But not in a bad way as the Ick people might think.
Frogmarch
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Frogmarch » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:28 pm

Oh I just remembered,

didn't Jesus say something about becoming the "fisher of men"?
Frogmarch
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Lance » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:05 am

I was called "lizard lips" (in a nice way) by someone long ago, because of how I could "flick" my tounge.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Re: Christians and the primitive brain

Postby umop ap!sdn » Sun Aug 07, 2005 5:35 am

Plagiarizer wrote:I have read that we evolved from salamander, I dont know if they are lizards or not

They're not.

Salamanders are amphibians; the common ancestors of salamanders and frogs diverged from that of lizards and humans. However, these ancestral species would have been very amphibian-like.

The fish symbol is related to a Greek acronym: Ιησους Χριστος, Θεου 'Υιος, Σωτερ is a title that was used to refer to Jesus, and its acronym ιχθυς means fish.
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:35 am

IIRC the fish symbol was also sort of a code between early christians. If you were talking to someone you weren't sure was a fellow christian, you would make half the symbol with your big toe, if he was a christian, he would complete the symbol.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Re: Christians and the primitive brain

Postby gillianren » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:03 am

umop ap!sdn wrote:
Plagiarizer wrote:I have read that we evolved from salamander, I dont know if they are lizards or not

They're not.

Salamanders are amphibians; the common ancestors of salamanders and frogs diverged from that of lizards and humans. However, these ancestral species would have been very amphibian-like.

The fish symbol is related to a Greek acronym: Ιησους Χριστος, Θεου 'Υιος, Σωτερ is a title that was used to refer to Jesus, and its acronym ιχθυς means fish.

in case anyone's interested, that Greek translates to "Jesus Christ, Lord and Savior" (if I remember Catholic sunday school properly). also, there's the miracle of the loaves and the fishes.
Gillian

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

--Maskerade
gillianren
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby umop ap!sdn » Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:11 am

Specifically, Θεου 'Υιος means "Son of God" but yes, you remember right. :)

I didn't know about the foot symbol or the loaves & fishes. I just saw the acronym in Teach Yourself Ancient Greek and remembered it when reading this thread. :D
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby gillianren » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:28 am

they taught us in Sunday school that you'd draw it on the wall, but I would imagine it would depend on where you were. (ie, very few handy walls when meeting strangers on a road in the middle of nowhere.)
Gillian

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

--Maskerade
gillianren
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Frogmarch » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:38 am

Pretty soon, if IDers have their way people who believe in evolution will have to scratch this out on the ground when they meet.

Frogmarch
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Return to Religion and Spirituality