Okay, riddle me this...

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Okay, riddle me this...

Postby Lance » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:04 pm

Please don't interpret this question as suggesting something "unexplainable" took place. I do completely understand that there is a mundane explanation for even the most bizarre happenings. The explanation here eludes me though, and I can certainly see how someone else could interpret it very differently.

Our couch isn't against a wall. It divides the space between our living room and dining area. Immediately behind it (and behind me) is where Cyndi's grooming table lives. It's for grooming the poodles, not Cyndi. It is also a "most favored place" for a poodle to relax or sleep on. One of them actually uses it to reach the back of the couch and lay behind my neck like a cat would. Yes, I have a 50lb. (22.7kg) neck poodle.

They will also occasionally come in from outside (through their own doggy-door) and jump up on the table and stick their nose in my hair and wiggle it back and forth. I'll then look over my shoulder to see who it was and be greeted by a big doggy smile, as if to just say "hi". It's just a game they play.

Fairly late last night as I was relaxing and watching TV, this happened. Nothing out of the ordinary. As I looked over my shoulder to see which one it was, I realized they must have already jumped down because no one were there. So then I leaned forward to see who was missing from the pile of poodles at me feet, since it must have been that one. But none were missing. All three poodles were sound asleep at my feet.

So WTF happened? We have no other animals and I don't buy that it was a visit from beyond the grave from Waya.

But it certainly raised the hair on the back of my neck and gave me goose bumps.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Re: Okay, riddle me this...

Postby Enzo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:47 am

Space aliens...

Just my layman's opinion:
In a familiar environment like your home, you have programmed yourself to react certain ways to certain stimuli. SO any small stimulus to the back of your neck, or wherever the dogs nuzzle you, you are predisposed to assume it is the dog. That is the default reaction. If you were riding the bus, the same stimulus likely would not conjure up "dog." It makes me think of the times I am driving somewhere where the route is similar to my route to work. But instead of turning onto Saginaw street halfway along, I continue on the work route automatically, only to realize a moment too later that I missed my turn. I was predisposed not to turn onto Saginaw street. If that makes sense.

So some stimulus triggered your "dog" response. What it might be is hard to say. An odd moment of draft that ruffled a hair, maybe a bit of hair that was cocked into your collar let go and sprang back, a shirt label that managed to brush your neck. MAybe some bit of debris was on the back of the couch and rolled off, brushing you on the way down. A ball of dog hair or lint, and piece of paper, a space alien probe, etc.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:25 am

Sorry about that, I won't do it again.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Enzo wrote:Space aliens...

Just my layman's opinion:
In a familiar environment like your home, you have programmed yourself to react certain ways to certain stimuli. SO any small stimulus to the back of your neck, or wherever the dogs nuzzle you, you are predisposed to assume it is the dog. That is the default reaction. If you were riding the bus, the same stimulus likely would not conjure up "dog." It makes me think of the times I am driving somewhere where the route is similar to my route to work. But instead of turning onto Saginaw street halfway along, I continue on the work route automatically, only to realize a moment too later that I missed my turn. I was predisposed not to turn onto Saginaw street. If that makes sense.

So some stimulus triggered your "dog" response. What it might be is hard to say. An odd moment of draft that ruffled a hair, maybe a bit of hair that was cocked into your collar let go and sprang back, a shirt label that managed to brush your neck. MAybe some bit of debris was on the back of the couch and rolled off, brushing you on the way down. A ball of dog hair or lint, and piece of paper, a space alien probe, etc.

That makes sense. I guess it could have been a fly or something similar. It was certainly weird though.

Мастер wrote:Sorry about that, I won't do it again.

No, that's okay. For the split second when you think it was a "visit", it was kind of pleasant.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Arneb » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:59 pm

I mostly agree with Enzo here. I read R. Wiseman's Paranormality - Why We See What Isn't There with great interest, and he explains very nicely that and how all sorts of weird sensation happen while we straddle the border of waking and sleeping, while we are happily relaxed, and so on.

And Mactep, please. I know you wanted to be nice and such, but pleae keep the discipline.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:26 am

That's another, could have been a moment when sleep arose.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:40 pm

That's possible I suppose. I'm pretty sure I was wide awake though. I will doze on the couch occasionally but those times are much fewer and further between since going on the CPAP. And it wasn't late enough to be near bed time.

I don't rule it out but I think it unlikely.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Religion and Spirituality