Just One Drop

Is it okay to kill in the name of God? Can ethics, morals and technology peacefully co-exist?

Just One Drop

Postby Lance » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:06 am

I found this image very inspiring. I want to come up with a response to it, which I will then turn into a Facebook Meme.

Below is what I have so far. I want to run it by you all to make sure I get it right before moving forward with it.

OneDrop.jpg

How does this sound?

I feed my dogs very well every day and they love me unconditionally.
I could stop feeding them but they will continue to love me.
If I never fed them again they would starve to death, while continuing to love me with all their being.
Because they don't know any better.
With their last dying breath they will look longingly into my eyes and they will love me as they die.
The rest of the world will think me a cruel monster because I had it easily within my power to ease their suffering but I chose not to.
Instead, I chose to make them suffer and let them die, while they loved me, because they didn't know any better.

God, he's kind of the same.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Re: Just One Drop

Postby Enzo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:43 am

I like it, it makes the point.

Unfortunately, I doubt it makes the point to those who need it to. Time and time again it has been shown that true believers in anything are rarely if ever swayed by evidence to the contrary. Whether god or conspiracies or autism/vaccines links. But to those of us on the same page, we appreciate the irony.

Always wondered about the prayer thing. So god will intervene on my behalf if enough people ask him to, but not otherwise, or of his own volition.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:56 pm

Enzo wrote:I like it, it makes the point.

Unfortunately, I doubt it makes the point to those who need it to.

And to whom would that be?

EDIT: I doubt it'll improve anyone's opinion of the "owner," but many of the "dogs" believe that there is something they can and should do to keep from starving.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Enzo » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:31 pm

In my own opinion, I'd say the people who believe their religious metaphor will solve all problems need it.

The people who do not accept the old saw that god helps those who help themselves. The ones who refuse to take action to save themselves, but rather rely on prayer alone. Says right in the 6th chapter of Matthew that you shouldn't pray for what you want, god already knows what you need.

I see stories in the paper of folks who refuse to get medical attention for their children. They pray for god to intervene. I figure, they want to eat and have shelter, so they go to work, earn a paycheck and buy food and shelter. They don't expect god to miraculously fill the pantry in a free house. If they want to go visit somewhere, they buy a car and gas, they don't pray that they magically appear at their destination. If they want to grow food, they till the earth, buy and plant seed, they tend the garden, they harvest the results, rather than just pray that god will provide a magic vegetable tree to pop up in the front yard whenever they are hungry. yet when their school age daughter has an operable tumor, or pneumonia, they pray that god will magically fix her, rather than sowing the seeds of healing by taking her to a hospital. I'd call that flawed logic, hell, I'd even call it flawed religion.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:07 pm

Enzo wrote:I see stories in the paper of folks who refuse to get medical attention for their children. They pray for god to intervene. I figure, they want to eat and have shelter, so they go to work, earn a paycheck and buy food and shelter. They don't expect god to miraculously fill the pantry in a free house. If they want to go visit somewhere, they buy a car and gas, they don't pray that they magically appear at their destination. If they want to grow food, they till the earth, buy and plant seed, they tend the garden, they harvest the results, rather than just pray that god will provide a magic vegetable tree to pop up in the front yard whenever they are hungry. yet when their school age daughter has an operable tumor, or pneumonia, they pray that god will magically fix her, rather than sowing the seeds of healing by taking her to a hospital. I'd call that flawed logic, hell, I'd even call it flawed religion.

Exactly!

And on the other side of the coin; if god can do all it is claimed he can, why doesn't he?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:25 am

Apparently he is waiting to see if we all beg enough.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Return to Religion and Spirituality