The story of the HorseTiger (马马&#3

Art and literature created or authored by our members.

The story of the HorseTiger (马马&#3

Postby Lonewulf » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:57 pm

This isn't "by" me, it's a Chinese folktale that has evolved into a form of wordplay. Note that I'm just relaying the bits of this story I've heard, and perhaps it's more complex than what's here; if so, my apologies.

According to this story, there once was a man, who was a painter. He had just started on a painting of a horse, when he received a contract from a rich man to draw a tiger. Not wishing to start anew, the man decided to draw the head of a tiger onto the horse. His son saw what he was drawing, and came up to him.

"Father, what is that?" asked the boy.

"It's a horse," replied the father, not wishing to tell the boy that he was being sloppy.

So the boy later was outside, when he came across a tiger. Remembering what his father said, he tried to ride the tiger as a horse; and the tiger killed and ate the boy.

However, this is not the end of the tale. The painter's other son asked him what was on the canvas. The father said, "It's a tiger".

Remembering what his father said, this other son shot a horse with a bow and arrow, happening to kill a noble's prize stallion; thus the painter was driven bankrupt trying to make up to the nobleman for this deed.

The moral of the story is, don't do sloppy work.

The other moral of the story is, have smarter kids. Or alternatively, "Darwin always wins".

And even today, the story lives in. "Mama huhu" -- 马马虎虎-- now has come to mean "sloppy" or "so-so" in Chinese. So if someone asked me how I'm doing, I can use this term to mean "I'm doing so-so".
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:11 pm

I like that story. I had not heard it before. Thanks, Lonewulf.

So many of the old parables or "fairy tales" are quite grisly and sad. Just like real life.

I think the moral may be a little deeper than "don't do sloppy work". :wink:

A wonderful tale.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Illiterati (Llama tell you a story...)