Pre-Mardi Gras

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Pre-Mardi Gras

Postby Candy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:00 pm

New Orleans Celebrates With Super-Parades
NEW ORLEANS (AP) - The weather was sunny and mild Sunday as revelers in this fun-starved city gathered for a day-long extravaganza of Carnival season parades, including two of the biggest and glitziest.

The two big processions ordinarily are held on separate days in the big pre-Mardi Gras weekend, but a threat of thunderstorms on Saturday prompted the Krewe of Endymion to postpone its parade by a day.

That put Endymion in line to follow the Krewe of Bacchus through the Uptown neighborhood on Sunday night.

Crowds were being warmed up by three afternoon parades, by the krewes of Okeanos, Thoth and Mid-City.

The sunny weather and party atmosphere provided a sense of optimism for New Orleans six months after Hurricane Katrina flooded 80 percent of the city and dispersed more than two-thirds of the population.

:glp-cheer-mirror: You go, New Orleans! :glp-cheer:
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:06 pm

So Candy, what would you do for some beads?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Candy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:12 pm

I'd jump up and down while blowing. Image
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:45 pm

Oh, maybe this! Image
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:28 am

PARTY!
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill EE » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:33 pm

Out of curosity - how many people here have actually gone to Mardi Gras?
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Lance » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:36 pm

Bill EE wrote:Out of curosity - how many people here have actually gone to Mardi Gras?

I've been to the French Quarter a couple of months after Mardi Gras. It's a party then, too.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Candy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:48 pm

I've never been to New Orleans.
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:17 pm

Been to New Orleans, but never during Madi Gras
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Bill EE wrote:Out of curosity - how many people here have actually gone to Mardi Gras?

I haven't. I've been at the SCA event, man. Go figure.

But still.

PARTY!
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Animal » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:23 pm

moi times two.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby teri tait » Tue Feb 28, 2006 1:00 am

What's with the baby in the Mardi Gra cake?
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill EE » Tue Feb 28, 2006 4:35 pm

The baby in the cake - that brings up memories. Don't know why it started but you bring the cake to a party. The person who gets the piece with the baby has to bring the cake next time.

I would have asked why women bare their assets for cheap plastic beads but I never question good fortune.

I went to Tulane and had the pleasure to go to four Mardi Gras - I am able to remember three of them.
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:20 pm

I'd go, if I could go to a private party where there is no crowd. I just don't care for crowds. 8-[
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby teri tait » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:24 pm

Bill EE wrote:The baby in the cake - that brings up memories. Don't know why it started but you bring the cake to a party. The person who gets the piece with the baby has to bring the cake next time.

I would have asked why women bare their assets for cheap plastic beads but I never question good fortune.

I went to Tulane and had the pleasure to go to four Mardi Gras - I am able to remember three of them.

Thanks for the answer to the baby question, I always wondered.
Nowadays women need only to whip their shirt up on Springer and get plenty of beads any time of year :)
I bet Mardi Gra in the Big Easy is going to be one to remember. I almost wish I was there to enjoy it and I hate wild parties.
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Animal » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:31 pm

Candy wrote:I'd go, if I could go to a private party where there is no crowd. I just don't care for crowds. 8-[

Defeats the whole point. That'd be like an Amish dude going to the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Enzo » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:15 am

"Ah, these new TVs are very plain."

"That's because they are not ON sir."

"What is this "ON" you speak of?"

I threatened my wife with tickets to Jerry Springer, just to give her a scare. Gotta keep these broads in line.

I always keep some beads in the truck, just in case.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Candy » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:13 am

Animal wrote:
Candy wrote:I'd go, if I could go to a private party where there is no crowd. I just don't care for crowds. 8-[

Defeats the whole point. That'd be like an Amish dude going to the Consumer Electronics Show in Vegas.
I've seen footage of private parties, so I know they exist. I'll wait until I get invited to one of those. 8)
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill EE » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:52 pm

Yes - there are several private parties at Mardi Gras run by the Krewes (a Krewe is the organization that operate a parade such as the Krewe of Zulu). The most famous (and most difficult to get into) is the Grand Ball of the Krewe of Rex (king of Mardi Gras) - it closes Mardi Gras. All of these parties are costumed affairs and several are televisied (or were when I lived there). Never been to one myself but I have heard they are fun.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Return to Current Events and Politics