Why is there so much evil in the world?

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Why is there so much evil in the world?

Postby tofu » Mon May 08, 2006 7:13 pm

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 96,00.html

it seems to be getting worse. I think that we are actually selecting for it.
tofu
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Lance » Mon May 08, 2006 7:19 pm

I think you're right. That was terrible.

And they call us evil.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Gullible Jones » Mon May 08, 2006 7:52 pm

Bastards... :evil: Kill in the name of God, will we? If there is a Hell, those men deserve it as much as anyone ever did.
And so I watch two new suns spin; our paper man doesn't call - burnt shadow printed on the road, now there's nothing there at all.
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lance » Mon May 08, 2006 8:31 pm

Since this is all about religion, why the hell isn't the "God of Abraham" whoopin' some Sodom and Gomorrah on their asses when you need him to?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Mon May 08, 2006 9:06 pm

Sick fucking bastards....
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby N C More » Mon May 08, 2006 9:39 pm

Why does such evil exist? Basically, it's because such horrendous evil works so very, very well. If you were an Iraqi female would you want to run right out and become a TV journalist? Remember, in order to support the fantasy beliefs of the Islamic extremists women have to remain subserviant. Females must follow strict Islamic laws that forbid women taking positions as journalists...actually taking any positon other than that of being mens' property.
N C More
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Gullible Jones » Mon May 08, 2006 10:00 pm

Lance wrote:Since this is all about religion, why the hell isn't the "God of Abraham" whoopin' some Sodom and Gomorrah on their asses when you need him to?

Because God either does not exist or is on their side.

N C More wrote:Why does such evil exist? Basically, it's because such horrendous evil works so very, very well. If you were an Iraqi female would you want to run right out and become a TV journalist? Remember, in order to support the fantasy beliefs of the Islamic extremists women have to remain subserviant. Females must follow strict Islamic laws that forbid women taking positions as journalists...actually taking any positon other than that of being mens' property.

Yeah, that's a pretty accurate analysis... It seems the unfortunate truth is that evil is an effective way to keep evil from being gotten rid of.
And so I watch two new suns spin; our paper man doesn't call - burnt shadow printed on the road, now there's nothing there at all.
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Swamp Pixie » Tue May 09, 2006 12:41 am

It amazes me the things that people are willing to do in the name of the "true religion". Almost makes me glad I'm... well... not a practioner of anyone's true religion....
I laugh in the face of death...maybe not laugh more like a snicker...a quiet snicker, and I wouldn't do it directly in death's face so, it's more like a quiet snicker behind death's back.
Swamp Pixie
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri May 12, 2006 7:34 pm

This is truly horrific, but I don't think it's significantly worse than the evil that has proliferated throughout history. Man's inhumanity to man is nothing new. I don't understand the whys however. :(
"Bible's broken. Contradictions, false logics. Doesn't make sense." -River
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Lonewulf » Fri May 12, 2006 7:49 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:This is truly horrific, but I don't think it's significantly worse than the evil that has proliferated throughout history. Man's inhumanity to man is nothing new. I don't understand the whys however. :(

Power.

Fear is power. They commit evil acts in the name of power.

In South America, when they were going through a period of pre-industrialization, children would take to garbage cans to try to get scraps to feed themselves. The scraps were good, however, for selling to farmers to feed their pigs. The children were "taught a lesson" by hired hit men.

The hired killers would grab a child to make as an example, torture them, and then kill them. With girls, this process would involve rape. This was an issue purely over power, and to retain their power over their dumpster supply.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Rob Lister » Sun May 14, 2006 12:36 am

There is no good, except what you like
There is no evil, except what you don't.

Morality is defined as that which you see in your overall best interest.

Insanity notwithstanding. Brainwashing notwithstanding. Politics notwithstanding.

It's all about ME (in the you, you, and you sense).

sad but true...only sad is defined as such as well.

Hi!

Great forum you have here.
Rob Lister
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby St. Jimmy » Sun May 14, 2006 1:44 am

Lovely first post. I believe that's true...to a point, Rob. There's somewhat of a general consensus of what's truely evil and what isn't, although that consensus constantly changes with each generation depending on what that generation was raised with. An example would be laws. They change or don't change depending on what's happened during the past year, and how it affected those people that could vote on laws. And it's the same with Good, and Evil.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion....you must first set yourself on fire.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Sun May 14, 2006 2:13 am

Well, I'm in general agreement with Rob Lister. People have a remarkable ability to convince themselves that what is good for them is good.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Doe, John » Tue May 16, 2006 12:49 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:Well, I'm in general agreement with Rob Lister. People have a remarkable ability to convince themselves that what is good for them is good.

and when what's good for them is bad for me, that's when they are evil.
Doe, John
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby tofu » Tue May 16, 2006 2:13 pm

Rob Lister wrote:There is no good, except what you like
There is no evil, except what you don't.

Morality is defined as that which you see in your overall best interest.

you're insane. I post a story that describes drilling holes in a woman with a power drill, and your response is, "there is no evil except what I don't like."

My question at the start of this thread was, "why is there so much evil in the world" I know what the answer is. There is evil in the world because of people who think the way you do - who can justify anything. You are empty inside and I feel sorry for you.
tofu
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Rob Lister » Wed May 17, 2006 11:26 pm

No need to feel sorry for me. Feel sorry for yourself for not knowing a fact when you see one.

Morality is subjective. Man attempts to objectify it with the law. Sometimes he wins and sometimes the law is an ass.
Rob Lister
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Lonewulf » Wed May 17, 2006 11:52 pm

Rob Lister wrote:No need to feel sorry for me. Feel sorry for yourself for not knowing a fact when you see one.

Morality is subjective. Man attempts to objectify it with the law. Sometimes he wins and sometimes the law is an ass.

Entirely true.

The actions were evil according to the morality of the majority of the population. There is no objective force that says what is right and what is wrong; unless you bring God or the divine into play, which is where things get complicated... and not necessarily based on facts.

Morality is subjective. That's pretty much where the subject ends.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Gullible Jones » Thu May 18, 2006 1:08 am

Subjective only to an extent. You can't say your own idea of morality is correct if it drives you to murder everyone opposing you.
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lonewulf » Thu May 18, 2006 1:43 am

Gullible Jones wrote:Subjective only to an extent. You can't say your own idea of morality is correct if it drives you to murder everyone opposing you.

In that case, it would be incorrect to... who?

Other people?

Isn't that the definition of "subjective"? It's personal biase, no matter what way you look at it. There is no objective "correct" or "incorrect" when it comes to morality. There's just agreement and disagreement. Just because a majority population agrees on something, doesn't make it objective.

Hundreds of years ago, what was "moral" then, is considered "immoral" today. What changed? Culture and personal biase, or some objective "decider"? What is that objective "decider"? What decides our morality, if it isn't just personal and cultural biase?
Last edited by Lonewulf on Thu May 18, 2006 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Thu May 18, 2006 1:47 am

Gullible Jones wrote:You can't say your own idea of morality is correct if it drives you to murder everyone opposing you.

But they say it all the time.

Burning witches and heretics was considered a moral thing to do.
The witches and heretics of course didn't agree.

I don't think there is actually a way to proof a set of morals 'right'.

As a rule though, violent people gravitate to wards violent ideologies.
Perhaps they just need an excuse.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Rob Lister » Thu May 18, 2006 10:58 pm

I'm at three posts and 300 reads of posts.

I so love you guys.

Percentage wise, you're far more logical than those I read at skeptical forums, educational forums, news forums, religious and political forums (no-brainer there or there.)

Mayhaps I've found a new posting home.

:hugs:
Rob Lister
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Dragon Star » Thu May 18, 2006 11:16 pm

Rob Lister wrote:I'm at three posts and 300 reads of posts.

I so love you guys.

Percentage wise, you're far more logical than those I read at skeptical forums, educational forums, news forums, religious and political forums (no-brainer there or there.)

Mayhaps I've found a new posting home.

:hugs:

Sure as long as you post every once in a while... :wink:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Gullible Jones » Thu May 18, 2006 11:49 pm

Okay, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

But first, please tell me that you are not btimsah, or RobbytheWoowoo, or whatever he calls himself now.
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Rob Lister » Fri May 19, 2006 12:13 am

Gullible Jones wrote:Okay, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

But first, please tell me that you are not btimsah, or RobbytheWoowoo, or whatever he calls himself now.

okay, I'm not that/those guys.

I got here from the jref forums. Somebody started a thread wanting the jref members to come over and dis' you guys. That somebody got their hat handed to them. People there reviewed your site and found it very worthy of the skeptical/intellectual internet community and told said poster to 'get stuffed'. I forgot the poster's name but it's some guy pretending to be a chick and trying to get banned.

I promise not to troll (intentionally). That's the best I can do.
Rob Lister
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Gullible Jones » Fri May 19, 2006 12:43 am

Rob Lister wrote:
Gullible Jones wrote:Okay, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree...

okay, I'm not that/those guys.

I got here from the jref forums. Somebody started a thread wanting the jref members to come over and dis' you guys. That somebody got their hat handed to them. People there reviewed your site and found it very worthy of the skeptical/intellectual internet community and told said poster to 'get stuffed'. I forgot the poster's name but it's some guy pretending to be a chick and trying to get banned.

LOL... That's Bill Thompson, he got booted off of here and the BAUT for trolling. Doing something like that would be just like him, the dimwit.

I promise not to troll (intentionally). That's the best I can do.

Well, that's good enough for me. BTW, did I apologize for the existence of 1inChrist yet? :lol:
Gullible Jones
Government Shill
Government Shill

Next

Return to Current Events and Politics