RIP Earl Butz

Discussions of things currently in the news.

RIP Earl Butz

Postby Enzo » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:00 am

Former Secretary of Agriculture, dead at 98. I didn't know he was still around. A crusty old fart, he told a racial joke that cost him his position. No I don't recall the joke now, it was 30 years ago.

Butz was a constant butt of jokes on Johnny Carson. Carson just liked to make fun of the name, but Earl also provided opportunities as he was outspoken.

Earl's son Dave Butz was a professional football player on the Washington Redskins - a BIG lineman.

One night Dave was a guest on Carson - I forget why, possibly after a Redskin SUperbowl appearance. Carson greeted him and he sat on the couch. After hello, he said to Carson (paraphrasing) "You know, you make fun of my dad and his name a lot, and I don't think it is right. I think you should apologize."

WHOA!

Carson was very gracious and humbly made apology. The rest of the interview was fine, friendly, and upbeat. I had never seen Carson have to do that before. His humor could have an edge, but all in all he was never mean. it was a moment I won't forget.

Not much of an Earl story, but it was the first thing to my mind when I saw the death notice.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:19 pm

Carson was very gracious and humbly made apology. The rest of the interview was fine, friendly, and upbeat. I had never seen Carson have to do that before. His humor could have an edge, but all in all he was never mean. it was a moment I won't forget.

Carson was a gentleman and a class act. After he went off the air, I pretty much stopped watching talk shows.

We will nae see his like agin' :cry:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Current Events and Politics