Orkxit?

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Orkxit?

Postby Arneb » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:23 am

The local assembly of the Orkney islands are discussing motions to change the status of the archipelago, my favourite newsmagine reports off BBC and The Grauniad articles. Apparently, changing the status to a Crown Dependency is on the table as well as leaving the UK and Scotland in order to join Norway.

Any comments on that from Big Island?
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Re: Orkxit?

Postby g-one » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:28 pm

Joining Norway is a thing? I think if they let them in, it could start a trend. Maybe we should come up with a name for the flip side of the exit as well?
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Lianachan » Mon Jul 03, 2023 9:35 pm

Yeah, this is a long-standing unionist bullshit story.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:02 am

I'd be all for it if it were possible and the majority of them wanted it.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Richard A » Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:23 am

I hadn't seen this - the news I've seen has been pretty focused on the riots in France, the economic problems in the UK and the Tory far right continuing to complain that the investigation of BoJo was dreadfully unfair. Oh, and the declaring out of an English cricketer who didn't realise the innings weren't over. (I'm sure the Aussie press must have the headline, "He thinks it's all over. It is now."

Back to Orkxit, I take the same view as Heid - if the majority of them want it, then why not? But equally, it may well be, as Lianachan says, a unionist scare story - I see the story also appears in the usual suspects of the Telegraph and the Daily Mail. A Crown Dependency, interesting - being a low tax zone, which seems to be what Crown Dependencies are for these days, could have its attractions, although the UK would no doubt find ways to hit back.

Becoming part of Norway would mean becoming part of Schengen, which would hit visitors from the UK - but then, that could add impetus to the call for Scottish independence. I don't know how many visitors Orkney gets from further south. On the other hand, duty free on the ferry could be an attraction. Following Brexit, the UK Government ramped up the duty free allowance for booze to 4 litres of spirits (previously 1). So those willing to make the trek could stock up on cheap Highland Park. And the 42 litre allowance for beer could have an interesting impact on the pubs of Thurso and Wick.

But the really interesting implications are for Shetland, a major base for the UK's oil industry - and Scotland's if/when independence takes place. I imagine the SNP and Alba alike have views on that.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Return to Current Events and Politics