Happy 100th, Loriot

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Happy 100th, Loriot

Postby Arneb » Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:59 am

A.k.a. Bernhard-Viktor "Vicco" Christoph-Carl von Bülow, descendant of an old Mecklenburgian and Prussian line of nobles. Born in Brandenburg, Brandenburg, of all places. You probably don't know him.

He was a German comic artist, TV comedian , actor and director. After fighting in WWII he started off as an advert graphical designer, doing caricatures and comic strips for newspapers as a side job. His first stint at a magazine ended in disaster because he drew up a world where dogs kept humans as pets ("he'll pass his water just everywhere!") and the German Herrenmenschen sharply disapproved. That didn't keep him from finding success, notably with a sketch TV series in the 70s. He gave us back the belief that we could actually have humour, which wasn't a trivial task at all. Loriot died in 2011, aged 87.

Here is one of his best TV moments (the announcer is played by his congenial long-time TV sidekick, Evelin Hamann). Richard_A has assured me the sketch will work even without subtitles. The story is that the TV announcer, before the broadcast of the eigth episode of the 16-part English crime drama "The Two Cousins" gives - tries to give - "an overview of the plot of the seven episodes broadcast until today". The video showing the complete collapse of composure in the announcer has been pulled, so it's audio only. Still works:

Watch on youtube.com
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Re: Happy 100th, Loriot

Postby Richard A » Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:16 am

Oh, the fun Arneb and I have had watching that piece! I particularly enjoyed it since the names that cause the presenter such anguish are all credible.

As crime dramas from other parts of Europe are crossing borders now, someone should perhaps do a 2nd edition, on a Polish series.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Return to Current Events and Politics