the usa ghandi non-movement

Discussions of things currently in the news.

the usa ghandi non-movement

Postby Bill_Thompson » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:17 pm

I am just playing the devil’s advocate for a moment. Would a Ghandi-like approach work for the United States after 9-11? Would passive resistance have worked for the United States in fighting terrorism. Would presenting an image of meekness and an unwilling to fight cause the terrorists rhetoric to loose credibility and the enemies of the United States would rot from the inside out?

Of course I a not advocating this approach but I thought it would be a good topic to start.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby The Beer Slayer » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:54 pm

Ghandi was not an absolute pacifist. His tactics only worked for him because the Brits could be shamed into changing their behavior. Ghandi said: "Given a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence."

Source
I plead the Fifth, but if you want to get pushy I'll plead the Second.
The Beer Slayer
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Мастер » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:04 pm

I'm not even completely convinced that we can say Ghandi's tactics worked. India became independent, sure enough; how much of the credit belongs to Ghandi? If it were up to him, it wouldn't have been partitioned, but it was.

N
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Animal » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Futhermore, his tactics only would work against the Brits of that era. The British calvary horse was trained to not step on people. No other calvary did this. Thus, a bunch of people sitting/standing in the middle of the street could stop advancing British horses if they were brave enough.
Animal
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Bill EE » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:56 pm

Animal - that is a pretty big stretch. Ghandi was saved by horse training? I think that the minor conflict with Germany/Japan had more to do with it. As far as Ghandi's tatics working, remember the Constitution of India was adopted in 1929 - civil disobedience as a tatic was adopted in 1930 - independence was granted in 1947. This, at least to me, indicates that the UK was no longer interested in resisting indepedence after the war.
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Bill EE » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:57 pm

Back on topic - not only does civil disobedience require a long time to work it also requires an opponent who isn't interested in committing wholesale murder. The people who executed 9/11 have no such issues.
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby The Beer Slayer » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:38 pm

We would be the laughingstock of the world if we tried to fight a group likw Al Qaeda with civil disobedience. I think it would actually encourage more attacks.
I plead the Fifth, but if you want to get pushy I'll plead the Second.
The Beer Slayer
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Superluminal » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:59 am

Cival disobediance could only work against a democraticlly elected government. If Bust was caught machine gunning Cindy Sheehan and her crowd, his approval ratings would plummet.

Al Qiada woud enjoy it. Why hijack a plane and crash it into anything, when you could just walk around hugging Americans and then cutting their throats?
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:29 am

The Brits weren't exactly the 'democratically elected government' of India,
but if you make that 'civilised' you're probably right.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby nicozine » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:38 pm

i dont see how "civil disobedience' woudl work because its not our goverment we woudl be working againt. i dont think al qada would care if we didnt obey our gov. we woudl be sitting ducks for anyone who wants something weve got if our gov. was that laid back.
nicozine
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Мастер » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:15 pm

Halcyon Dayz wrote:The Brits weren't exactly the 'democratically elected government' of India,
but if you make that 'civilised' you're probably right.

Hell, they weren't even the democratically elected government of Britain until into the 19th century :D

N
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:42 pm

Superluminal wrote:If Bust was caught machine gunning Cindy Sheehan and her crowd, his approval ratings would plummet.

Yeah, probably. But you must admit she has become more of an annoyance than anything else.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Return to Current Events and Politics