Burning the U.S. Flag?

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Does the U.S. need a Constitutional Amendment to ban flag burning?

Yes - flag burning is NEVER okay
22%
No - flag burning is protected as free speech
78%

Total votes : 18

Postby Bandit » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:38 am

Lonewulf wrote:
Bandit wrote:Lonewulf, if all you can do is come across as a cynical ass at the expense of other posters then take your lame James Dean-wannabe act elsewhere.

Is that "all" I can do? So, what, I didn't make a single good point in all this?
On the contrary, you made some good points .. it's just that you negate it by coming across as a pinhead.
Maybe Lance was just "pretending" to think I might've had a point... not claiming he's immediately right for thinking I had a point, just that I had far more in my post than "a lame James Dean-wannabe act"... acting like I actually want to be James Dean. Hell, I hardly even know much about James Dean, except that he's some icon from the past -- how can I "wannabe" like someone I don't even know much about?
This isn't about James Dean, it's about you and the way you come off. You can make a point about flag desecration without attacking the mores of other posters, if you really try.
Claiming that I was "just" showing off my "James Dean-wannabe act" is like me claiming you were just showing off your damn temper was the "only" thing you did in the BAUT. I'm not saying you were wrong or right, just pointing out that, in spite of our tone or how we act, there might actually be a grain of argument within it.
The thing was, my temper was often (and ultimately) my undoing over there, as it sometimes spoiled a good point I made. Your 'tude is doing the same thing to you here. There's no need for it. If you can abide by the rigid rules of the BAUT, why the need to post something like the following here, tuff guy?:
I admit that I was a little too aggressive (and personal, especially) in my posts, but that doesn't mean I didn't mean what I said.
Nice. :roll:
Bandit
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Lonewulf » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:20 am

Bandit wrote:On the contrary, you made some good points .. it's just that you negate it by coming across as a pinhead.

Okay, point taken.

The thing was, my temper was often (and ultimately) my undoing over there, as it sometimes spoiled a good point I made. Your 'tude is doing the same thing to you here. There's no need for it. If you can abide by the rigid rules of the BAUT, why the need to post something like the following here, tuff guy?

Well, it WAS status quo a while back, but once again, point taken.

Nonetheless, I've been temp banned from the BAUT twice, so I've got my own "forum war" scars.

Bandit wrote:
I admit that I was a little too aggressive (and personal, especially) in my posts, but that doesn't mean I didn't mean what I said.
Nice. :roll:

Let me rephrase: I didn't need to make personal attacks on other posters as I did. Nonetheless, I *still* think that legislating "respect" in the fashion that was mentioned was something that should be avoided. I could have said what I said with some tact. I was letting personal feelings of certain posters get in the way.

Further, I was also responding in a negative fashion towards "I Am He". While I am willing to apologize to Teri Tait, I am not willing to apologize to him. Teri Tait did not make attacks against others, after all.

I am a bit cooler and less hot-headed currently, as you can see.

But then, Bandit, I think you've already got your mind made up about me, don't you?

To return to the original point of flag burning, a large reason why I feel the way I do is because of the meaning behind "buying" the flag; buying something makes it your personal property. While what the symbol represents is not your property (I.E., just because you bought it does not mean you actually "bought" the country!), how you use that symbol and property is your decision, just as it's your right to make a signboard that says, "BUSH SUCKS!"... it's your right to use that signboard in any way you desire, as it's your private property, even if it shows disrespect and others may react hostilely towards it. I also think that "vigilanteism" shown towards you for such actions should also be prevented and punished, as once again, I believe fully that someone should be capable of voicing whatever opinion he wants without fear of retribution. Once more, the Free Speech issue.

Anyhow, you bought and paid for that flag, and it's my personal opinion that you can show it however you want; you CAN hang it up and let it get rained on and desecrated if that's your way to show your love for your country. I also think that people like Enzo have every right to request you not do it; but I draw the line at legislation.

However, when they actually take someone else's property (someone else's flag, for instance) and burn it, then becomes an issue I'd take issue with, as they burned someone else's property. That's when it becomes more of a nasty issue. That's why the funeral comparison was shakey, as burning someone's corpse is burning their personal property, even if they're dead; or more specifically, the property of the family (the ones who give others the rights to desecrate the corpse... such as, say, for purposes of autopsy). Further, it's also why the "free speech doesn't mean you can shout "fire" in an elevator" complaint doesn't hold, as that's a case that puts lives in jeapordy, which means a lot more than someone burning their own personal property.

Also, me making my decision does not "dishonor" the troops. The idea of freedom of speech is the free exchange of opinions, even the ones we'd prefer not to see and hear (though Free Speech doesn't guarantee that you're forced to see or hear it, of course). Soldiers fought and died for that right, yes, and I admit it, that's noble and all. But quite frankly, they died for my right to express my opinion and making my own decision, and that's what I'm doing.

Further, I am more than willing to serve in the military through the Air Force. I am more than willing to put my life on the line (but honestly, I'd rather sit and pilot semi-autonomous vehicles... that's what I'd *love* to do). But honestly, I think that it's just as respectful and honorable to try to change your country for the better. Why is being a soldier so much more patriotic than being someone who strives and succeeds in college, and continues on into politics to try to make changes for the better? That's why the whole "more patriotic than thou" attitude REALLY chafes my neck.

Anyhow, I apologize to Teri Tait. I was more aggressive than I should have.
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby umop ap!sdn » Sat Jul 08, 2006 4:45 pm

Doe, John wrote:
umop ap!sdn wrote: this is the same kind of thought process that prompted lawyers to argue for a CAUTION: CONTENTS MAY BE VERY HOT label on cups of coffee so that some dipstick doesn't sue McDonalds over a scalded tongue.

just as a thread derailing diversion I'd like to point out that it was a woman of the feminine persuasion who (successfully) sued McDonalds when she spilled coffee in her crotch and blistered her naughty bits.

It hadn't occurred to me that the term "dipstick" might be gender specific - I thought it was just a general purpose insult. #-o I admit I was hazy on the details of the case but only wanted someting as a for example.

I want everyone else to know that I almost closed this thread (and may still) because it seemed to be getting out of hand. This is not the forum in which to call other people names.
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:59 am

I always thought "dipstick" was just the G rated version of "dipshit".
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:11 am

Lance wrote:I always thought "dipstick" was just the G rated version of "dipshit".

It is, and it's not gender specific.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:28 am

The flag means different things to different people.

To some, the flag represents all those who have fought for this country now and in the past.

To other, it represents all the loved-ones who never came home.

To others, it reminds them of our founding fathers, and the sacrifices made by so many to create a great nation.

To others, it means the killing of their families, destruction of their homes, stealing of their lands and displacement of their people.

To others, it represents the marble buildings on the hill in the Capitol.

And to still others, it represents the president, the congress and government as a whole.

And all those people are right. We get to pick what the flag signifies to us. I don't get to pick for you and you don't get to pick for me.

The problem arises when a person burns the flag who feels one thing but it is witnessed by someone who feels another. Heck, the flag burner may (for example) support the troops just as much as the now-pissed-off wittiness, but was protesting some specific act by the administration.

To a lot of people, the flag represents The Constitution, The Bill of Rights and Freedom of Speech. I think if freedom of speech is so terribly trampled by passing a Constitutional Amendment against flag desecration, the flag will burn itself. If the government can do something like that, than I would start burning the flag too, and I think a lot more anti-flag-burning people would too, because they would see the flag as under attack, and already being desecrated by the government. Burning it would be freeing it from that.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:32 am

Lance wrote:The flag means different things to different people.

To some, the flag represents all those who have fought for this country now and in the past.

To other, it represents all the loved-ones who never came home.

To others, it reminds them of our founding fathers, and the sacrifices made by so many to create a great nation.

To others, it means the killing of their families, destruction of their homes, stealing of their lands and displacement of their people.

To others, it represents the marble buildings on the hill in the Capitol.

And to still others, it represents the president, the congress and government as a whole.

And all those people are right. We get to pick what the flag signifies to us. I don't get to pick for you and you don't get to pick for me.

The problem arises when a person burns the flag who feels one thing but it is witnessed by someone who feels another. Heck, the flag burner may (for example) support the troops just as much as the now-pissed-off wittiness, but was protesting some specific act by the administration.

To a lot of people, the flag represents The Constitution, The Bill of Rights and Freedom of Speech. I think if freedom of speech is so terribly trampled by passing a Constitutional Amendment against flag desecration, the flag will burn itself. If the government can do something like that, than I would start burning the flag too, and I think a lot more anti-flag-burning people would too, because they would see the flag as under attack, and already being desecrated by the government. Burning it would be freeing it from that.

:=D: :glp-worship:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lonewulf » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:10 am

Congrats, Lance. I'll give you the Wulf Medal for phrasing my thoughts so well, and adding more to it.

However, I would also like to reiterate my point that a flag bought and paid for should still be considered private property. This is an important thing to consider as it's what allows me to destroy a book I own; I could piss on this book I own, I could disrespect the author, even though the author was the one that made it, and might feel that the action is very unjust.

As some have stated, possession is 9/10ths of the law :)
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bandit » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:38 pm

Excellent post Lance. If you had a 'best IRU post' thread your last one here would be at the top of the list. :=D:
Bandit
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:45 pm

Hey, excellent idea, how about a "IRU Hall of Fame" for excellent posts such as this?
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:47 pm

If you guys really want to create a "Hall of Fame" in Here There be Llamas, I'll sticky it I suppose.

I'm somewhat humbled by your responses.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:55 pm

EDIT:Double post.
Last edited by Dragon Star on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:59 pm

Done

Should we just quote the response and link it's origin?

I think thats what I will do, otherwise you would have to move the post and thats dumb.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:00 pm

Sure, yeah. We can tweak it if we have to, to figure out what works best.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Current Events and Politics