N. Korea threatens war...

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Postby Superluminal » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:01 pm

Air samples collected after the blast by an AF EC-135 were found to have radiation consistent with a nuclear test using plutonium. There is still debate as to whether there was an actual nuclear explosion or if it was a dud. But I like your idea of turning them into a laughing stock.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby The Beer Slayer » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:04 pm

If the yield was less than a kiloton then it had to have been a dud.
I plead the Fifth, but if you want to get pushy I'll plead the Second.
The Beer Slayer
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lance » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:11 pm

Superluminal wrote:Air samples collected after the blast by an AF EC-135 were found to have radiation consistent with a nuclear test using plutonium. There is still debate as to whether there was an actual nuclear explosion or if it was a dud.

Oh, yeah, I know. I should have made it clear that I didn't care if the statement was true or intentional disinformation. It doesn't matter...
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:42 am

Lance wrote:I think we should have released a statement a few days after their nuke test stating unequivocally that it was not a nuke, just a great deal of conventional explosives, and made them a laughing stock. That would have either shut them up (unlikely) or forced their hand to do something even more stupid and let China off the hook as their only ally. Then the entire world could take a firmer stand against them and do what ever is necessary to remove Kim Jong NutSack from power.

Who else votes Lance for president?
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby pmcolt » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:12 am

What, does he need ulcers?

At this point, I'm in favor of just stating whatever we determine to be the truth. Our reputation is bad enough without some "US wrong about NK nuke test" scandal months from now.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:18 am

Another series of lies, all in the name of politics? Pass.

Dishonesty isn't pretty, no matter how much you like the dishonest statement.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:46 pm

Lonewulf wrote:Another series of lies, all in the name of politics? Pass.

Oh come on...

Anyone remember Operation Imminent Thunder? That sure worked pretty well.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:00 pm

Lance wrote:
Lonewulf wrote:Another series of lies, all in the name of politics? Pass.

Oh come on...

Anyone remember Operation Imminent Thunder? That sure worked pretty well.

Haven't heard of it.

I oppose lies and dishonest in general, only accepting them if they are utterly, and without any question, necessary. I have yet to truly see a necessary lie.

Unfortunately, it seems that all of politics are based on lies and half-truths. Which is somewhat a cause of present day's state of affairs.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:12 pm

Operation Imminent Thunder was military disinformation used during Gulf War 1. It was a series of Marine exercises in the Persian Gulf that convinced the Iraqi forces a large amphibious assault was imminent. The Iraqis did the only thing they could do, prepare to defend the shore.

In the mean time, we snuck up behind them, surrounded them and took them easily.

In that case, dishonesty was good. It undoubtedly saved many lives, probably on both sides.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:52 pm

Lance wrote:Operation Imminent Thunder was military disinformation used during Gulf War 1. It was a series of Marine exercises in the Persian Gulf that convinced the Iraqi forces a large amphibious assault was imminent. The Iraqis did the only thing they could do, prepare to defend the shore.

In the mean time, we snuck up behind them, surrounded them and took them easily.

In that case, dishonesty was good. It undoubtedly saved many lives, probably on both sides.

That was a case of warfare, for one. In warfare, we justify all sorts of things, including murder. That's not comparable to politics.

I mean, just because we used a nuclear bomb against Japan, doesn't justify using it in another situation that doesn't quite apply. So really, to compare, you'd have to show that it's utterly necessary that we lie, and that it is as necessary.
Last edited by Lonewulf on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:18 am

Lonewulf wrote:That was a case of warfare, for one. In warfare, we justify all sorts of things, including murder. That's not comparable to politics.

Okay, that that's where we disagree. In this case, it's dealing with an enemy. I'd like to get the problem resolved before the bullets start flying.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Superluminal » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:28 am

[/b]DS babbled:
Who else votes Lance for president?

He already is president, just wait till he and Cyndi get back from their Bigfoot expedition to Starving Rock and he will deal with Kim mentally Il in very short IRU order.
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:36 am

Superluminal wrote:DS babbled:

Thats more like it! I was starting to get worried that everyone was getting soft on me! :wink:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lonewulf » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:36 am

Lance wrote:Okay, that that's where we disagree. In this case, it's dealing with an enemy. I'd like to get the problem resolved before the bullets start flying.

I just don't see how lying about what Kim Jong Il accomplished would help the situation. Other nations would see through it as they detect the nuclear weapon via other measures, making the U.S. seem the fool. Do you think that the rest of the world REALLY bases all of their knowledge on what the U.S. claims and doesn't claim? North Korea wouldn't really have to step up measures anyways; it's not quite only the U.S. he's after, and South Korea is what he's really trying to bully.

Overall, it seems like an unnecessary, overly dangerous, and downright ludicrous lie. We might as well have tried to make the Russian moon landings out to be a hoax.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:36 am

Lonewulf wrote:North Korea wouldn't really have to step up measures anyways; it's not quite only the U.S. he's after, and South Korea is what he's really trying to bully.

Actually, according to him, it is the U.S. he's trying to bully. South Korea is just a means to an end.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Мастер » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:02 pm

Lance wrote:Actually, according to him, it is the U.S. he's trying to bully. South Korea is just a means to an end.

I get the impression Kim Jong Il is willing to bully anyone who will pay him to stop bullying them. . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:18 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
Lance wrote:Actually, according to him, it is the U.S. he's trying to bully. South Korea is just a means to an end.

I get the impression Kim Jong Il is willing to bully anyone who will pay him to stop bullying them. . .

So it isn't co-incidence he is threatening the US and the two strong economies in the region?

They need another couple of stages on the Taepodong before we have to worry about him threatening us.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:21 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:They need another couple of stages on the Taepodong before we have to worry about him threatening us.

How does it work these days? Does the Scottish parliament have the power to declare war? :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Dragon Star » Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:18 am

Here is an interesting problem I see if we go to war with N. Korea...

China, for very obvious reasons doesn't want to cross the line with N. Korea as they do not want to deal with the aftershocks., But, if N. Korea falls due to war from the U.S., and hundreds of thousands/millions of refugees escape to China, what would be the result? Would China hold the U.S. responsible and spark more feud?
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Superluminal » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:03 am

I think what would be best, since China holds the reins of Kim. They can probalbly take him out without starting a war. They put someone in they can trust and who will feed the people. China gets to keep a stable communist country next door. We can quit worrying about crazy old Kim. We keep our troops on the 38th parrelell, were they can stare at each other for the next 40+ years or until the next crisis breaks out, which most likely won't be too long.
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:31 am

Well, China already provides N. Korea with 70% of their fuel and 60% of their food...and frankly China wants to keep it that way, but depending on China which is neither a friend or an ally is a wishy-washy expectation because their intentions and interest are very different from ours. They do what is best for themselves.

I fear that even if they did try to take down the Kim, the rest of the Gov't would fall, leaving us with the escaping refugees again.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:31 am

Dragon Star wrote:Well, China already provides N. Korea with 70% of their fuel and 60% of their food...and frankly China wants to keep it that way, but depending on China which is neither a friend or an ally is a wishy-washy expectation because their intentions and interest are very different from ours. They do what is best for themselves.

Well, my opinion is, Mr. Kim is not the favorite person around Zhongnanhai these days, but they're just at a loss as to how to deal with him, and therefore pursue a timid, cautious policy, hoping that somehow, in some manner they can't quite forsee, the situation will resolve itself. . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:25 am

Whatever values and goals the Chinese have that differ from ours, I gotta think that it would be in their self-interest NOT to have NK lobbing nuclear warheads hither and yon. And they definitely do not want hundreds of thousands of refugees either.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:31 am

Enzo wrote:Whatever values and goals the Chinese have that differ from ours, I gotta think that it would be in their self-interest NOT to have NK lobbing nuclear warheads hither and yon. And they definitely do not want hundreds of thousands of refugees either.

I've got to think the two nightmare scenarios for China, other than huge numbers of refugees, are:

a) A nuclear NK prompts SK, Japan, and possibly even Taiwan to go nuclear

b) A nuclear NK eventually reunites with SK, and SK is the dominant partner in the new union, leading to a nuclear-armed, pro-western state right on China's border

I really suspect the Chinese government would love to be rid of Mr. Kim, but just doesn't know how to do it without generating the large numbers of refugees or other bad (from their perspective) side-effects. . .
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Dragon Star » Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:10 pm

HA! I was watching CNN and it appears that China was thinking the same thing I was...they have started construction on a barbed fence that surrounds the border. :lol:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events and Politics