Taliban: Spring offensive is coming

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Taliban: Spring offensive is coming

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:08 am

Mullah Dadullah, the Taliban's military commander, has told Al Jazeera that he has deployed more than 6,000 of his fighters in preparation for a spring offensive against the Afghan government and its allies.

"The attack is imminent," he told Al Jazeera's Arabic channel in an interview aired on Wednesday.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/ ... 0165DB.htm

"The number of Taliban mujahidin who are ready to launch the spring battle has reached 6000," he told Ahmed Zeidan, the Kabul bureau chief of Al Jazeera's Arabic channel.

Dadullah said that the fighters were concealed in tunnels and elsewhere in preparation for launching their attack.

He said he might even be able to deploy even more volunteers if Nato troop increases continued to prompt more Afghans to take up arms. "It may rise to 10.000," he said.

"The more the number of Jewish and Christian soldiers who fight us increases, the more the Afghan people will be encouraged to join us."

Dadullah, a Pashtun, is believed to be one of the closest advisers to Mullah Omar, the Taliban leader. He is believed to have joined the movement in 1994 soon after it was formed by Omar.

'New anti-aircraft weapons'

Taliban commanders also told Al Jazeera that they had obtained new weapons suitable for use against helicopters.

Although they provided no further details, the Taliban provided footage of the burning wreckage of an aircraft which they said was a US helicopter which they had shot down near Kandahar two months ago.

Eight US soldiers were killed and 14 were wounded when their Chinook helicopter crashed in Kabul province on Sunday.

The US military blamed engine failure for the crash. In recent months, the US has also lost an unusually high number of helicopters in Iraq and Afghanistan to enemy fire, prompting speculation that al-Qaeda and its allies have acquired new anti-aircraft weaponry.

Warning from Pakistan

Dadullah's warnings came as Ali Jan Orkazi, the governor of the North West Frontier province of neighbouring Pakistan, said that the Taliban was growing stronger.

"As time passes, Taliban becomes more powerful," he told Al Jazeera.

"Today, they have reached a stage where many local residents support them. This makes it [the movement] evolve into a kind of a national and resistance movement; a kind of a liberation war against the coalition forces."
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:16 am

I think there are two possible answers to this:

(#1) They are stupid and showing what poor military planners they are by making their enimies brace for an attack.
(#2) They are lying and are desperate for attention.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:54 am

Bill_Thompson wrote:I think there are two possible answers to this:

(#1) They are stupid and showing what poor military planners they are by making their enimies brace for an attack.
(#2) They are lying and are desperate for attention.

I would advance another possibility, which is that they are trying to persuade people not to support the Kabul government and the Americans, by convincing them that they would then be on the losing side.

In any event, I'm ready.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:55 am

Or they might realize that all they have to do is make such a threat, and our military and political leadership will react to it, thus tying up more of our resources.

Imagine if someone pulled the fire alarm at your work place every day. Everyone files out of the building, all productivity stops for a while. Pretty effective way to slow things down somewhere.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:48 pm

Enzo wrote:Imagine if someone pulled the fire alarm at your work place every day. Everyone files out of the building, all productivity stops for a while. Pretty effective way to slow things down somewhere.

Until they stop doing it, and just ignore the alarm. That's when you set the real fire :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Hypothetically, of course.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:14 am

That is the beauty of it. All you have to do is set a trash can on fire in the bathroom once every couple months, and the fear remains alive. You don't need to waste the time and energy to make an actual building fire.

I hereby make public notice that this discussion as far as my own involvement goes is for amusement only and does not represent actions I support.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:32 pm

Enzo wrote:I hereby make public notice that this discussion as far as my own involvement goes is for amusement only and does not represent actions I support.

Well can I have my lighter back then?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:03 am

Hey, I don't need no steenking lighter. If I want to start a fire in the bathroom, I'll just rub two boyscouts together.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:57 pm

We should know when we have been beaten and out classed. The war in Afghanistan is taking too much time. We should just give up and surrender to the Talaban and Al Qaeda. I know it will be an adjustment but it is part of nature. The strong adjust and grow while the weak die off.

Further effort in this war will be a waste of time and money. Winning is loosing and Loosing, in this case, is actually winning.

I know, it could being about more 9-11 style attackes, but I think the United States needs more 9-11 style attacks and even bigger ones. We did not take 9-11 seriously for long enough, maybe several more that are tens of times bigger will finally change all the dumbass liberals.

It only took one 9-11 to chage me from a dumbass liberal and wake me up from dreaming that we can all get along. I think much more and bigger attacks are required for the rest of us.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Мастер » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:03 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:We should know when we have been beaten and out classed.

Why do you assume we're all on the same side?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:23 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:We should know when we have been beaten and out classed.

Why do you assume we're all on the same side?

Sorry. My mistake. Let me say that the Infidels then should know when they have been beaten and out classed. Sorry, I did not realise you were a mujadeen.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Current Events and Politics