Mitt Romney... what?! Are you Kidding Me?!?!?!

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Mitt Romney... what?! Are you Kidding Me?!?!?!

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:37 am

Why don't we just go ahead and elect a Scientologist?

I just posted at Mitt Romney's web site:

Sir,
I am a little shocked and troubled by the Mormon Theology. Our country was founded during the age of enlightenment when men choose reason and logic over scripture and dogma. And yet, many people consider the Mormon church to be created by an opportunist who road the backlash to the Industrial Revolution. Multiple Gods, the idea of living a good live to become a God, believing that the creater of life on Earth is basically a space being who lives on another star system are all ideas that the rest of the industralised world will laugh at us if you become president. I think the media attention given to you lately is because the media is mostly liberal and you are the most beatable candidate if Hillary wins the Democratic nomination. Have you considered dropping out of the race for the good of the country?
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:17 pm

He has an interesting world view, according to the Boston Globe:

"The European Union wants to "drag America down to Europe's standards,"
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Re: Mitt Romney... what?! Are you Kidding Me?!?!?!

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:10 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:Why don't we just go ahead and elect a Scientologist?

Wonderful idea! I vote for Tom. Perhaps he can turn the world into one of those Mission Impossible movies where all kinds of ridiculous things happen in specific sequence for a totally predictable yet enlightening ending to occur.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby pmcolt » Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:29 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:Sir,
I am a little shocked and troubled by the Mormon Theology. Our country was founded during the age of enlightenment when men choose reason and logic over scripture and dogma. And yet, many people consider the Mormon church to be created by an opportunist who road the backlash to the Industrial Revolution. Multiple Gods, the idea of living a good live to become a God, believing that the creater of life on Earth is basically a space being who lives on another star system are all ideas that the rest of the industralised world will laugh at us if you become president. I think the media attention given to you lately is because the media is mostly liberal and you are the most beatable candidate if Hillary wins the Democratic nomination. Have you considered dropping out of the race for the good of the country?

I have no issue with electing a man of faith, whether that faith be Protestant, Catholicism, Mormonism, or Robotology. After all, is the belief in the apotheosis of humankind any crazier than the belief that my lottery ticket is going to be the powerball winner?

I do, however, have an issue with electing Mitt Romney. Not because he's a Mormon, but because he's a lying, flip-flopping New England Republican who seems content to pay lip service to some generic "faith" in an effort to appease the Republican Party's evangelical wing, and I just don't trust him on the issues that matter most to me.

Of course, that's true of nearly every Presidential candidate I've seen so far. Who to vote for? Decisions, decisions.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:11 am

If Lincoln had known that a hundred plus years after he clamped down on the multiple marrages, a follower of Joesph Smith would be running for president, he would have saved Booth the trouble.

I call dibs on any bumber sticker with any variant of this idea:

"If Lincoln could forsee Mitt, Booth would be saved the bother"

"Booth wouldn't have to bother,
If Lincoln could forsee Mitt"

The last one sounds catchy. Once again, I call dibs. No stealing.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:27 am

http://www.ifilm.com/video/2757097

pmcolt wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:Sir,

I have no issue with electing a man of faith, whether that faith be Protestant, Catholicism, Mormonism, or Robotology. After all, is the belief in the apotheosis of humankind any crazier than the belief that my lottery ticket is going to be the powerball winner?

Let's see. How about not only "yeah" but "hell, yeah". Where do you draw the line? Would you elect a suicide death cult member? Would you believe in someone who believed in Voo Doo? Would you believe in someone who believed in multiple Gods? Would you vote for someone whose goal is to become a God? Or that the planet Venis is populated by vixens waiting for men to mate with them in the after-life. We are talking about a wacked-out space alien cult, not some Protestant, Catholicism, Mormonism, or Robotology. Scientology and Mormonism fall into the catagory of being a bonafide cult.

How can someone be a man of faith when the man does not have faith in a supreme being?

You see, this is how Hillary is going to win. The media is going to give lots of positive spin on Romney so he gets the Republican tap. Then the media will turn on him so that their candidate wins.

This is pretty much how the theology is:

http://forums.randi.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=9
http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=70493

This is pretty much how it goes.

We produced a piece of animation to show you what Mormon Theology is really all about.

Mormonism teaches that trillions of planets scattered throughout the cosmos are ruled by countless gods who once were human like us. They say that long ago on one of these planets, to an unidentified god and one of his goddess wives, a spirit child named Elohim was conceived. This spirit child was later born to human parents who gave him a physical body. Through obedience to Mormon teaching in death and resurrection, he proved himself worthy and was elevated to godhood as his father before him.
    Mormons believe that Elohim is their heavenly father and he lives with his many goddess wives on a planet near a mysterious star called Kora. Here the god of Mormonism and his wives through endless celestial sex produce billions of spirit children. To decide their destiny, the head of the Mormon gods called a great heavenly consul meeting. Both of Elohim's eldest sons were there, Lucifer and his brother Jesus. A plan was presented to build planet earth where the spirit children would be sent to take on mortal bodies and learn good from evil

Lucifer stood and made his bid for becoming savior of this new world. Wanting the glory for himself. He planned to force every one to become Gods
    Opposing the idea, the Mormon Jesus suggested giving man his freedom of choice as on other planets

The vote that followed approved the proposal of the Mormon Jesus who had become savior of the planet earth

Enraged, Lucifer cunningly convinced one third of the spirits destined for earth to fight with him and revolt. Thus Lucifer became the devil and his followers the demons. Sent to this world they would forever be denied bodies with flesh and bone. Those who remained neutral in the battle were cursed to be borne with black skin. This is the Mormon explanation for the Negro race.

The spirits who fought most valiantly against Lucifer would be born into Mormon families on planet earth.

These will be the lighter skinned people or white and delight-some as the book of Mormon describes him.

Early Mormon profits taught that Elohim and one of his goddess wives came to earth as Adam and eve to start the human race.

Thousands of years later, Elohim in human form once again journeyed to earth from the star base Kora. This time to have sex with the Virgin Mary in order to provide Jesus with a physical body. After Jesus Christ grew to manhood, he took at least three wives, Mary, Martha, And Mary Magdalene. Through these wives, the Mormon Jesus, for whom Joseph Smith claims direct decent, supposedly fathered a number of children before he was crucified.

According to the book of Mormon, after his resurrection. Jesus came to the Americas to preach to the Indians whom the Mormons believe are really Israelites.

Thus the Jesus of Mormonism established his church in the Americas as he had in Palestine.

By the year 1421AD, the dark skinned Indian Israelites known as Laymanites had destroyed all of the white Nephites in a number of great battles.
    The Nephites records were supposedly written on Golden Plates and buried by Moroni the last living Nephite in the hill, Kamora.

1400 years later, a young treasure seeker named Joseph Smith who was known for his tall tales claimed to have uncovered these same gold plates near his home in upstate New York

He is now honored by Mormons as a profit because he claimed to have had visions from the spirit world in which he was commanded to organize the Mormon Church because all Christian creeds were an abomination.

It was Joseph Smith who originated most of these peculiar doctrines which millions today believe to be true

By maintaining a rigid code of financial and moral requirements and through performing sacred temple rituals for themselves and the dead, the later day saints hope to prove their worthiness and thus become gods.

The Mormons teach that everyone must stand at the final judgment before Joseph Smith, the Mormon Jesus and Elohim.

Those Mormons who are sealed in the eternal marriage ceremony expect to become polygamist gods in the celestial kingdom, rule over other planets and spawn new families throughout eternity

Those Mormons thank god for Joseph Smith who claimed he done more for us than any other man including Jesus Christ.

The Mormons believe that he died as a martyr, shed his blood for us so that we too may become gods
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:41 am

Mitt Romney Campaign Video

"A Vote For Mitt is a Vote for Shit"
-- I call dibs on that one too.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:55 am

Hi Bill,

Crystal (Cyndi's daughter) happens to be here at the moment. As you may know, she's a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Lattter Day Saints. I read her that (above) and she said "whoa, way to confuse the issus". She also mentioned "that's kind whacked".
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby pmcolt » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:10 am

Bill_Thompson wrote:Where do you draw the line?

Why should I draw a line? The primary duty of the President is to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. If I think he can do the job, I'll vote for him. If I don't, then I won't. As far as his personal beliefs, my only expectation is that they don't interfere with his official duties.

Would you elect a suicide death cult member?

Certainly not. Too much of a risk that he won't serve out his full term. It'd be like voting for an 80-something-year old Senator or something.

Would you believe in someone who believed in Voo Doo?

Where does he stand on the issues?

Would you believe in someone who believed in multiple Gods?

Where does he stand on the issues?

Would you vote for someone whose goal is to become a God?

As someone who has transhumanist leanings, I'd certainly give him a second look. Where does he stand on the issues?

Or that the planet Venis is populated by vixens waiting for men to mate with them in the after-life.

Reminds me of an old limerick. There once was a woman from Venus... Oh, but that's beside the point. Where does he stand on the issues?

We are talking about a wacked-out space alien cult, not some Protestant, Catholicism, Mormonism, or Robotology.

I thought Mormonism was what we were talking about?

How can someone be a man of faith when the man does not have faith in a supreme being?

So those devout Buddhist monks are just faking it? There aren't any faithful Confucians? Shinto isn't a faith?

You see, this is how Hillary is going to win. The media is going to give lots of positive spin on Romney so he gets the Republican tap. Then the media will turn on him so that their candidate wins.

Hillary will not win. I'll go out on a limb and say it now (and yes, God help us all if I'm wrong). She carries far too much baggage from her past. She announced her candidacy too early. She's lagging behind Obama in fundraising, and played the Bill Clinton card long before the Iowa caucus. If Hillary gets the nomination, the GOP gets to run on the "anyone but Hillary" platform. It is my belief (and sincere hope) that she's going to go the way of John Edwards: out of the Senate, out of the White House, and largely an irrelevant noisemaker.

We produced a piece of animation to show you what Mormon Theology is really all about.

Wow, just wow. I'm going to print that out, put it in pamphlet form, and show it to the next Mormons to come to my door. I'm sure they'll be shocked and amazed to learn that this is what they believe.

Ooh, better yet! I'm going to hang on to the pamphlets that the LDS folks give me, and give them to the Jehovah's Witnesses next time they come by! Assuming they ever come by again. I think I freaked them out pretty bad last time.
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:58 am

AS an aside, outfundraising is not the whole deal. Here in Michigan, in the last gubernatorial election, the challenger outspent the incumbent almost 4 to 1 and still lost big. SOmething like $57million to 17million. Hmm, well over 3 to 1.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:00 am

Enzo wrote:AS an aside, outfundraising is not the whole deal. Here in Michigan, in the last gubernatorial election, the challenger outspent the incumbent almost 4 to 1 and still lost big. SOmething like $57million to 17million. Hmm, well over 3 to 1.

People (I do not refer to pmcolt, who did not say this) like to say that money is all that matters in American politics. But I don't remember much about the presidencies of Ross Perot and Steve Forbes...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:12 pm

Lance wrote:Crystal (Cyndi's daughter)

*falls off chair*

Dragons like Crystals, you know... :mrgreen:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:18 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:People (I do not refer to pmcolt, who did not say this) like to say that money is all that matters in American politics.

Looking at what I wrote, I wish to clarify the meaning, which is that pmcolt is not a person who said the later statement. Not that pmcolt is not a person.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:55 pm

Dragon Star wrote:Dragons like Crystals, you know... :mrgreen:

Heh, Crystal is old enough to be your, well, "hot older girlfriend" I guess. Her oldest daughter is 10 though.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:58 pm

Lance wrote:Heh, Crystal is old enough to be your, well, "hot older girlfriend".

Did you just admit that Crystal is hot? :lol:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:41 am

Not that pmcolt is not a person.

Notwithstanding your disclaimer, has it been established that pmcolt IS a person?
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:32 pm

Dragon Star wrote:Did you just admit that Crystal is hot? :lol:

Um, sure, but I didn't need to be tortured or anything...

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bill_Thompson » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:32 am

pmcolt wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:Where do you draw the line?

Why should I draw a line? The primary duty of the President is to preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States. If I think he can do the job, I'll vote for him. If I don't, then I won't. As far as his personal beliefs, my only expectation is that they don't interfere with his official duties.

Isn't it true that such a duty is sworn by others? If not, it is a similar duty sworn by Admirals, All Enlisted persons in the armed forces, All other officers in the armed forces, members of Congress, members of the Senate, members of local governments, members of state governments, and many others.

But there is a difference in a head of state. One supporter of Romney says that he supports Romney because of what he did as a governor. But there is a difference between a governor and a president. As president, just as the case is with any head of state or any figure head, he puts a face on the United States. He IS the personification of the United States and the image the rest of the world sees. They do not see a reasonable, level-headed governor or someone who "preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States". He is the United States itself. A president speaks for the people of The United States just as much as Churchill spook for the people of the United Kingdom during World War II, just as much as FDR spook for the people of the United States during World War II etc.

I do not want someone brainwashed in an intellectually dishonest and imprisoning theology which demeans women, blacks, native Americans, children, and homosexuals to be the voice and the face of the United States.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby troubleagain » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:23 pm

This is the presidential oath of office sworn at the inauguration:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

But yes, it's very similar to the other oaths of office.
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:15 pm

IIRC, the Oath of Office for POTUS is the shortest OoO there is.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Bill_Thompson » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:07 am

Presidents are still different. There are books written about the L Factor. If you do not like the person for any reason, you do not want him as the head of your government and the leader of the free world.

I just saw this very good thing on You Tube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hY-Gcfzlvko
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Current Events and Politics