Play a CD!

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Play a CD!

Postby Мастер » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:22 pm

It may already be too late for Arneb, and maybe even Heid, but this Aug 17, be sure to play a CD, to celebrate 25 years since its first mass production in Hanover.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:54 am

I got thee minutes yet.

I hope it counts, I got sick of talk radio, and popped a CD into the car stereo on the way to dinner a couple hours ago. Dixie CHicks.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:05 am

Enzo wrote:I got thee minutes yet.

I hope it counts, I got sick of talk radio, and popped a CD into the car stereo on the way to dinner a couple hours ago. Dixie CHicks.

Well, if you listen to talk radio, that would explain why you're always wound up about righties :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:02 am

Actually I can't listen to those clowns. I usually listen to WBZ in Boston, 1030AM radio, for reasonable non-partisan discussion. But they were not coming in so good tonight, and all that was left was Lars Larson or someone like him. Ewg.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:06 pm

Enzo wrote:Actually I can't listen to those clowns.

When I did a stint in North Carolina, there wasn't much else on...

Enzo wrote:I usually listen to WBZ in Boston, 1030AM radio, for reasonable non-partisan discussion. But they were not coming in so good tonight, and all that was left was Lars Larson or someone like him. Ewg.

So you can listen to a Boston station in Michigan? Do you have a high quality antenna, or the night reception just that good?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:52 pm

Plain old car radio. After sundown, AM radio goes a long way. Boston is no trouble - 50,000 watts too. A 1000 watt station from South Carolina might be tough. I routinely listen to New Orleans on 870 (our local NPR station is on that channel during the day) KNOX in St.Louis is any night. KDKA 1120 Pittsburg any time. WRVA 1140 Richmond VA comes in most nights. 1210 in Phila, etc.

In the car some night, just step down the AM dial and you will hear many distant stations coming in like locals.

In fact, sometimes when conditions are "right" I get interference on 1030 Boston from a station on the same frequency from Cuba.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:33 pm

Enzo wrote:Plain old car radio. After sundown, AM radio goes a long way. Boston is no trouble - 50,000 watts too. A 1000 watt station from South Carolina might be tough. I routinely listen to New Orleans on 870 (our local NPR station is on that channel during the day) KNOX in St.Louis is any night. KDKA 1120 Pittsburg any time. WRVA 1140 Richmond VA comes in most nights. 1210 in Phila, etc.

In the car some night, just step down the AM dial and you will hear many distant stations coming in like locals.

In fact, sometimes when conditions are "right" I get interference on 1030 Boston from a station on the same frequency from Cuba.

I'm just thinking of central New Jersey, when during the day, I'd be lucky to get either 1010 WINS (New York) or 1060 KYW (Philadelphia), both news radio. But then again, I do remember driving to Nebraska once and being able to get WBBM from Chicago (can't remember the frequency) there...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby umop ap!sdn » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:24 pm

Hot damn. Didn't see this thread until just now, but when it was posted, I was just returning home from being out running most of the afternoon. Guess what I brought with me to play in the truck stereo? :lol:
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:03 pm

Dixie CHicks?

A tuba?

Pickup sticks?

Distant AM radio happens at night. In daylight it is line of sight. In fact you can be too close and lose the skip. yet too far for line of sight.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:35 am

umop ap!sdn wrote:Hot damn. Didn't see this thread until just now, but when it was posted, I was just returning home from being out running most of the afternoon. Guess what I brought with me to play in the truck stereo? :lol:

Something that was invented when you were, what, one? :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby umop ap!sdn » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:46 am

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:Something that was invented when you were, what, one? :P

I don't remember if I'd had my birthday yet, but if so then yeah. :lol:

(I was 12 or 13 when we got our first player though.)

Enzo wrote:Dixie CHicks?

Franz Ferdinand.
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Re: Play a CD!

Postby Arneb » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:07 pm

Khrushchev's Other Shoe wrote:It may already be too late for Arneb, and maybe even Heid, but this Aug 17, be sure to play a CD, to celebrate 25 years since its first mass production in Hanover.

I celebrated in thought, not in action - the stereo isn't out of the box yet after the relocation to Aachen (does that remind anyone of a running gag in House of God :? ?).

My god-aunt gave me my first CD-player for my Abitur in '88. My first CDs: Bach's The Art of the Fugue and Johannespassion. Ah, when we were young...
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Re: Play a CD!

Postby Мастер » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Arneb wrote:I celebrated in thought, not in action - the stereo isn't out of the box yet after the relocation to Aachen (does that remind anyone of a running gag in House of God :? ?).

Don't even know House of God - but Aachen, this is the city that gives the Charlemagne prize, isn't it?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby troubleagain » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:09 am

I hardly ever play cd's. I have an mp3 player, so I usually rip 'em to mp3 and put them on the player. I can play it on my car stero via the Belkin transmitter, or at my desk via external speakers I plug it into.
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:12 am

troubleagain wrote:I hardly ever play cd's. I have an mp3 player, so I usually rip 'em to mp3 and put them on the player. I can play it on my car stero via the Belkin transmitter, or at my desk via external speakers I plug it into.

I thought my new car would allow me to plug in an MP3 player to the sound system. But apparently all it does is play MP3s on CD that I stick into the long narrow slot on the dash. I'm glad I figured this out before I went out and bought an MP3 player...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby troubleagain » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:18 am

Heh. Prolly just as well. But then again, an mp3 player is a cool thing to have anyway....I have pretty much my entire music collection with me all the time.
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:20 am

troubleagain wrote:Heh. Prolly just as well. But then again, an mp3 player is a cool thing to have anyway....I have pretty much my entire music collection with me all the time.

I guess I could do that, as soon as my entire music collections comes out of storage, where it now is with everything else I own...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby troubleagain » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:23 am

Yeah...I've got a 30Gb drive on mine. It's only a fraction filled up. I bet a lot of people could fill that plus.
-------------------
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:53 am

Erm ... I just bought another 7" single by The Forbidden Dimension ... guess I'm a bit behind the times, but they're just sooo damn cool!

Even for a middle-aged white guy like me.

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Heid the Ba » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:54 am

Aachen, that puts you 300km nearer Scotland! :D

KOS, try an i-trip or similar.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lance » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:40 am

troubleagain wrote:I bet a lot of people could fill that plus.

Music
Type: File Folder
Size: 107 GB
Contains: 28,781 Files, 2,247 Folders
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Return to Current Events and Politics