horrible tragedy in Iraq

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Postby Heid the Ba » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:04 am

Picture the scene, the morning security briefing in the Oval Office:

Aide: Mr President it was a very quiet day in Iraq yesterday, only 3 Brazilian soldiers killed.
GWB: What do you mean quiet! 3 Brazilians dead, that's terrible.
Aide: It's better than most days.
GWB: Do you have any idea how many millions there are in a brazillion?

I'll get me coat . . .
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Bill_Thompson » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:56 pm

Sounds like a mistake Alex Salmond would make to me.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:01 am

Daily Iraqi sectarian death toll hits rare low
U.S. credits decrease in violence to new tactics; military toll also falling

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21602649/
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:04 pm

But we're still caught between Iraq and a hard place. If we declare "mission accomplished" and pull out completly, the place falls apart. So it seems obvious that we can't pull all the troops out for a long time. A commitment similar to the basing of U.S. troops in South Korea, I think, is the most likely scenario.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:05 am

Superluminal wrote:But we're still caught between Iraq and a hard place. If we declare "mission accomplished" and pull out completly, the place falls apart. So it seems obvious that we can't pull all the troops out for a long time. A commitment similar to the basing of U.S. troops in South Korea, I think, is the most likely scenario.

But people forget that this happens with every war. It would be hell if the Union pulled out after the civil war and there was not a period of reconstruction. It is just that our liberal media is over playing the bad news and hardly playing the good news.

Just today our local news here stated that it has been observed that more and more families are moving back to Iraq because the sectarian violence has decreased. They acted as if they HATED to report this news so they quickly added, "this cannot be independantly confirmed or denied".

Every country goes through a crapola period at the end of a war. Because of the culture, the crapola is different in each country.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:07 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:
Superluminal wrote:But we're still caught between Iraq and a hard place. If we declare "mission accomplished" and pull out completly, the place falls apart. So it seems obvious that we can't pull all the troops out for a long time. A commitment similar to the basing of U.S. troops in South Korea, I think, is the most likely scenario.

But people forget that this happens with every war. It would be hell if the Union pulled out after the civil war and there was not a period of reconstruction. It is just that our liberal media is over playing the bad news and hardly playing the good news.

Just today our local news here stated that it has been observed that more and more families are moving back to Iraq because the sectarian violence has decreased. They acted as if they HATED to report this news so they quickly added, "this cannot be independantly confirmed or denied".

Couldn't agree more, William.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:48 pm

Enzo wrote:There, Scott, if you wondered why we hold Bill in such low regard - the perfect example is provided by same.

And yet DragonStar agrees with me.

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Ummm ... yeah ... I guess you have to be a Hillary fan to think we're in a quagmire over there, eh?

I did not say that and I made no such claim. But I did suggest that it aids the Democratic Party's cause if the war goes bad and/or is preceived to be going badly and any claim contrary to this hurts the prospects of Hillary becoming president.

I work with liberals who seem to view the war in a kind of morbid glee in the sense that as long as it goes badly and more american troops are killed, this makes Bush look bad and thus by contrast makes the Democrats look good.

They actually enjoy the war. They enjoy having something to motivate them to go out and protest at public events. They talk about it and they draw comparisons to "the good old days" of Vietnam.

I find it sickening. Every day more people starve to death because of poverity than the total number of americans killed in Iraq. But it just wouldn't be fun to protest or do anything about that.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:07 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:Every day more people starve to death because of poverty than the total number of Americans killed in Iraq. But it just wouldn't be fun to protest or do anything about that.

It isn't happening to Americans, or in America

The bigger a nation the more provincial its inhabitants tent to be.
If it weren't for television many Chinese would still believe that white people are just characters from ghost stories.
Last edited by Halcyon Dayz, FCD on Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Dragon Star » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:36 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:
Enzo wrote:There, Scott, if you wondered why we hold Bill in such low regard - the perfect example is provided by same.

And yet DragonStar agrees with me.

On your latest two points, keep that in mind, because it's rare. :wink:

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Ummm ... yeah ... I guess you have to be a Hillary fan to think we're in a quagmire over there, eh?

I did not say that and I made no such claim. But I did suggest that it aids the Democratic Party's cause if the war goes bad and/or is preceived to be going badly and any claim contrary to this hurts the prospects of Hillary becoming president.

I work with liberals who seem to view the war in a kind of morbid glee in the sense that as long as it goes badly and more american troops are killed, this makes Bush look bad and thus by contrast makes the Democrats look good.

They actually enjoy the war. They enjoy having something to motivate them to go out and protest at public events. They talk about it and they draw comparisons to "the good old days" of Vietnam.

I find it sickening. Every day more people starve to death because of poverity than the total number of americans killed in Iraq. But it just wouldn't be fun to protest or do anything about that.

I hate this, but I'm taking sides with Bill here. It's true.

And before anyone claims that I'm a Republican with return fire, I'm neither. I think both party's are equally retarded, both totally miss the point and just try to catch the eyes of the public for election. It's a failing system.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Superluminal » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:37 am

The Founding Fathers were scared of political parties. They believed that people would be more interested in the welfare of their party than in the well being of the country.

I wish we could have a system, that when a politician is elected and takes the oath of office, he or she is no longer a Republican or Democrat. When they run for re-election they would no longer be beholden to the party that helped get them elected, but would run simply as the incumbent. Maybe if we could get to a system like that, where people looked at their elected officials as the U.S. Senator from so and so, or the President of the U.S., people could put some partisan politics behind and we could all work together and make things better.

But, I guess that is too much to hope for. So, us IRUers will have to continue behind the scenes controlling people's minds. :twisted:
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:35 am

That is an interesting point.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:35 am

If things are indeed slowing down over there (and all the reports I've seen say they are, though we have had more soldiers killed so far this year than all of last), then good. The sooner things slow down, I think the sooner we should get as many out as we can.

Anyone who enjoys this war or any war, regardless of their political affiliation, deserves a good kick in the ass.

That said, the glee both sides show in "proving" their point about the surge is also pretty fucking sickening, understand, Bill? I have friends and family whose asses are on the line. Smug attitudes about what works and what doesn't really helps them over there. Glad you're doing your part, as are your co-workers.

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:48 pm

ImagePositive signs
Nov. 14: When NBC's Tom Aspell went out to report in Baghdad, he found signs of change — and more security.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:47 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:ImagePositive signs
Nov. 14: When NBC's Tom Aspell went out to report in Baghdad, he found signs of change — and more security.

I do not know why there has been this sudden shift in the news reporting from Iraq, but I am sure all progressives can agree with me that this is a tragic change. Our great leader, Hillary Clinton, has been focusing her campaigning on the idea that if she is elected, it will mean getting out of Iraq.

Our friends in the News Media have joined us until recently in reporting the bad news in Iraq as part of our agenda of making the American people disgusted with Iraq.

But now, for some reason, they have changed and decided to report the truth.

This is ruining our chances to make Hillary our next president.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:24 pm

Actually, that is terrific news for our Armed Forces. Soon they will not be needed and they can come home.

Why do you gloat that we have our people there, Bill? Is it just because you hate Hillary? Are you a Bushie? Or do you have a sincere wish to see harm come to our people?

Anyway around it, your attitude just seems ... well ... take your meds, son.

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:55 pm

Blue Monster 65 wrote:Actually, that is terrific news for our Armed Forces. Soon they will not be needed and they can come home.

Why do you gloat that we have our people there, Bill? Is it just because you hate Hillary? Are you a Bushie? Or do you have a sincere wish to see harm come to our people?

Anyway around it, your attitude just seems ... well ... take your meds, son.

Woof! - Scott

Dude, what are you saying or asking?
What makes you think I am gloating?
What makes you think I hate Hillary?
What is a Bushie and why do you like to compartmentalize people?
What difference does it matter if I am on meds or not. At least I am getting help. You should not belittle people who have help. At least there is a cure for me. There is no fixing stupidity.
Why do you misuse the term "Ad Hominim" when you use it?
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:53 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:Why do you misuse the term "Ad Hominim" when you use it?

Just for the sake of clarity, it's "Ad Hominem".
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:31 am

Funny, but I don't ever recall using the term "Ad Hominem" at all.

I think you hate Hillary because of your first post in this thread and your continuing condescending attitude towards her (though I understand this completely).

You seem to be gloating from the fact that having more troops in Iraq may hurt the Democrats chances in upcoming elections. (They can screw that up without that help.) You come across as though you enjoy seeing our troops in harm's way just for that reason.

Compartmentalizing you is way too easy. It is amusing that you attempt to play the others here, though. I wonder why ...

A Bushie is the opposite of a Clintonite.

All kinds of people get good help from meds. Stupidity meds would be a wonderful thing. It would end a whole lot of internet discussions.

Dude? Heh heh heh ... that was slang back in my day, too. Never liked the word, but it's interesting to see it's making a comeback. Reminds me of the old west.

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:45 pm

Lance wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:Why do you misuse the term "Ad Hominim" when you use it?

Just for the sake of clarity, it's "Ad Hominem".

Ah, but if you misspell it, the people who don't know can't google it. At least that is the hope. :P

Good post, "Blue Monster 65". I consider myself to be someone who was once an extreme liberal, Clinton supporter who woke up on 9-11-2001 when I saw that the world and humanity was as rotten as the neocons actually insisted it was. Too bad so many of us are still sleep-walking.

I notice there is silence in our media these days that the Dems and the Libs were wrong and the Neocons and the Republicans seem to have been right about Iraq. It reminds me of the argument I had with my brother about when the new millennium started. He was loud in his insistence and protest. When it turned out I was right, there was no apology coming from his shouting and protests I had to endure.

Personally, I think the Dems should be punished in the voting booth and the Republican should be rewarded come next election.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:23 am

I don't recall you ever apologizing for any of your ranting and raving.

And for the record, Google has a nice feature for when spelling is wrong, it does this:

Did you mean: ad hominem

Nice try...
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Dragon Star » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:45 am

Like he would know? When is the last time Bill had to do research on a topic? :lol:

(just kidding Bill, but not really...)
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Bill_Thompson » Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:41 pm

Enzo wrote:I don't recall you ever apologizing for any of your ranting and raving.

There are lots of post that do not say who the posts are directed to. I get the feeling people here think this is a chat room instead of a web forum
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:25 pm

Posting comments just because you do not like what I say and using incomplete sentences and generalities and not even explaining what you mean, does not support your cause or argument well.

Well, Mertha even says that the troop surge has worked.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,314203,00.html

This can only mean that the dems and libs and wack-job peaceniks were wrong. The real enemy is the left. They will lead us down a road to ruin if we let them.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:55 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:I get the feeling people here think this is a chat room instead of a web forum

Considering all the double-talk that can occasionally be found here, perhaps it is both.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:00 am

Bill_Thompson wrote:
Enzo wrote:I don't recall you ever apologizing for any of your ranting and raving.

There are lots of post that do not say who the posts are directed to. I get the feeling people here think this is a chat room instead of a web forum

So...leave? :roll:

It's sickening to hear you cry and bitch about how you're treated when you ASK FOR IT! Seriously Bill, Gawd.

You are constantly praised for good behavior and shunned for bad, yet, unlike a baby, you never fucking grow up. You are the OJ Simpson of the internet, you do it, you get away with it, and everyone hates you. Everyone. What do you expect Bill, honestly?

Now, back on topic...

Were people wrong? Yes, the Dems were wrong, but so were a shit-ton of Repubs, and everything in between.

Stop being a troll.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events and Politics