Gen. Paul Tibbets

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Gen. Paul Tibbets

Postby Superluminal » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:44 am

The man who A-bombed Hiroshima. Feb. 23, 1915-Nov. 1 2007.

http://www.theenolagay.com
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:39 am

92 years old.

Didn't realize he was a general, I just assumed he left the service after the war.

What a thing to live with all those years. Not whether it was right or wrong, he was always comfortable that it was the right thing to do, but just being the guy who did it. I bet he got sympathy from Neil Armstrong.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:31 am

He seemed kind of bitter about the attention, actually. He said he wanted to not have a tombstone, because he didn't want anyone to bother him anymore.

Too bad, 'cause he did a job that needed to be done and I believe we owe him one. Yes, I know, civillians died, but I think the outcome was far better than what could have and probably would have happened otherwise.

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:50 pm

Enzo wrote:92 years old.

Didn't realize he was a general, I just assumed he left the service after the war.

What a thing to live with all those years. Not whether it was right or wrong, he was always comfortable that it was the right thing to do, but just being the guy who did it. I bet he got sympathy from Neil Armstrong.

Right on, Enzo. He should be considered not a villain, a hero or a martyr … just an airman who did the job he was assigned, his duty. Like Neil, I think that is how he felt. He survived. Many did not. He must have been so weary of those who saw him otherwise

BM65, yes. Tragic as it was (as all war is :cry: ), the alternatives would have been far worse, as I understand.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Current Events and Politics