Death by vanity.

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Postby troubleagain » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:31 pm

They had some great songs, and yes, it's cool to hear them covered by more recent artists--"I'm a Believer" comes to mind. I've now heard three versions. Theirs, Neil Diamond's (he wrote it, of course) and whoever that modern one is.
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:43 pm

Smashmouth.

Hmm, I have to wonder then if the Monkees song was an inspiration to Billy Joel.
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Enzo » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:48 am

The Monkees were swell and all. A lot if not most of their material was written by Boyce and Hart. In fact they themselves brought out an album covering the same songs. I assume trying to cash in on some of the momentum.

COmparing the Monkess to the Beatles is a sin. The Beatles were all musicians, earning a living by it long before fame hit them. John and Paul wrote most of the material themselves. To say they didn't play all the instruments in their recording is silly. They hired side men sure, but those played in addition to the Beatles, not in place of them. Frank Sinatra didn't play all the instruments on his records either. If he wanted violins or french horns, he hired folks to play them, just as the Beatles did.

The Monkees on the other hand were a totally made up group. The only reason they learned to play instruments was so they could go out and perform live. They learned to play AFTER fame. They were cast for the TV show. CAst to LOOK like a rock band. When that show came on the air, the Monkees were not playing the music themselves.

I take nothing from them for that, any more than I fault the cast of Friends for not REALLY being room mates. They produced good entertainment. And if after a while they got to the point of writing their own stuff and trying to make a statement or at least self -expresion, good for them. I like them too.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby troubleagain » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:50 pm

Oh, I agree there's no comparison. But I grew up watching the Monkees shows in the afternoons after school. So they'll always mean more to me than the Beatles. I never really got into the Beatles until I was an adult.
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:36 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:There's nothing worn under the kilt, it's all in perfect working order. :D

Do you know why Scottish wear Kilts?

The zipper scares the sheep...
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby troubleagain » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:24 pm

:lol: Tha'ts sooooo bad.
-------------------
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:32 pm

:P
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:09 pm

In keeping with that theme ...

What's the difference between a Scotsman and Mick Jagger?

Mick Jagger sings, "Hey - you - get offa my cloud"

A Scotsman sings, "Hey - McCloud - get offa my ewe!"

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:45 pm

Donald McPherson, a very tight man, was looking for a nice girl to marry. McLeod, Donald's best friend got a phone call from Donald. "McLeod!" Donald said, "I finally found the girl I want to marry! Sandy who runs the pub down the street". "Great" said McLeod, "But why her?" "Well, I went for a drink, we got to talking and she told me her birthday was February 29th!" "What the hell does that matter, Donald?" asked McLeod. "Simple" said Donald, "I only have to buy her a birthday present every four years!"
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Squee » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:14 am

Bahaha.
I am sooo glad I am not one of those people.
I'd only be.... 4.5 years old.
"Damn, hell makes a good bagel."
-JTHM

"Despite your pseudo-bohemian appearance and vaguely leftist doctrine of beliefs you know nothing about art or sex that you couldn’t read in any trendy New York underground fashion magazine. "
Squee
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Enzo » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:56 am

Yeah, but you could retire on your 16th birthday.

Of course you couldn't buy a drink.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:29 pm

Enzo wrote:COmparing the Monkess to the Beatles is a sin. The Beatles were all musicians, earning a living by it long before fame hit them. John and Paul wrote most of the material themselves. To say they didn't play all the instruments in their recording is silly.

Easy, Big Fella. Anyone can be compared to anyone ... but not necessarily called equal! :wink:

With the Beatles, I was thinking particularly of the orchestral additions Phil Spector made to their later albums. I am sure you have heard the "unplugged" version. In my opinion, much superior. The Beatles were amazing musicians, writers and composers. Less enjoyable when others messed with their composition.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:24 am

OK, but wanting to maintain the difference between musicians and poseurs.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:46 am

Agreed. To clarify my position:

-The Monkees were entertainers, and pretty good ones. Plus four swell guys who tried to do their best in an awkward situation, not really of their making.
-The Beatles were musicians, writers, composers AND entertainers of outstanding ability.
-Talented musicians and song writers contributed to the Monkees success. Their contributions should not be overshadowed by the Monkees fall from grace.

:)

{Edited to Agree.}
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:43 am

Will both of you now please sign this accord in triplicate and deposit one copy with the site administrator. :wink:
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:41 pm

I can notarise it if required. :D
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Previous