Evel Knievel: 1938 - 2007.

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Evel Knievel: 1938 - 2007.

Postby MM_Dandy » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:46 pm

SI reports that Knievel died earlier today at the age of 69.

The old daredevil has made the jump into the final frontier. I hope he lands safely this time. ;)
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Re: Evel Knievel: 1938 - 2007.

Postby Bill_Thompson » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:48 am

MM_Dandy wrote:SI reports that Knievel died earlier today at the age of 69.

The old daredevil has made the jump into the final frontier. I hope he lands safely this time. ;)

He was an icon.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:36 am

Hope his final jump is better than his Snake River jump. When was his last public jump?
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby MM_Dandy » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:27 pm

Superluminal wrote:Hope his final jump is better than his Snake River jump. When was his last public jump?

Considering that he's dead to begin with, I don't think it could go much worse.

Wikipedia says that his last jump was in March, 1981.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby KLA2 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:27 pm

His last jump before the Snake River was in Toronto at the CNE. He attempted to jump 13 Mack trucks.

A Toronto alderman attempted to prevent the stunt on the grounds it was a suicide mission. He failed. Evel suceeded. 8)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:36 pm

Superluminal wrote:Hope his final jump is better than his Snake River jump. When was his last public jump?

When will it be ethical to make comments like that was all staged and he was planning on bailing out all along?
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:18 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:

When will it be ethical to make comments like that was all staged and he was planning on bailing out all along?

The launch at Snake River Canyon was at 3:36 p.m. local time. The steam that powered the engine had to get up to a temperature of 700 °F (370 °C). Upon take-off, the drogue parachute accidentally deployed when the three 1/4 inch bolts holding the cover for the chute sheared off with the force of the blast. The deployed chute caused enough drag that even though the skycycle made it all the way across the canyon the wind began to cause it to drift back as the skycycle turned on its side and started to descend into the canyon. By the time it hit the bottom of the canyon, the wind had pushed it across the river enough so that it landed half in and half out of the water. Just a couple feet more in the water, and Knievel would have drowned.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evel_Kniev ... ver_Canyon

Bill, at least bother to Google before you slander. I don't endorse what Evel did for a living, but he did have guts and integrity in it. :evil:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Current Events and Politics