Mitt Romney Drops Out

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Mitt Romney Drops Out

Postby Bill_Thompson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:26 am

2/7/2008 should be remembered as the day something good actually happened.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:33 am

Less competition for Hillary?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:09 pm

Lance wrote:Less competition for Hillary?

Hurah!!! :lol:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:23 pm

Regarding the fact that everybody seems to be on first names terms with Sen. Clinton, I invite everyone here to read this guest poston someone's blog I occasionally read. I think it hits the nail squarely on the head.

Mitt Romney has shown a lot more intelligence and character then the other losing Republican candidate (The one BT announced as your next President) saying that he knows when a race is lost and that he will step aside for the good of the party. Huckabee (or should I say: "Mike") probably still thinks God will retrieve him from the pit and hand him the candidacy when every McCain (sorry: John) delegate on the party coinvention will start to speak in tongues, receive an Invocation from the Holy Spirit and cast his vote for Mike the Baptist.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby troubleagain » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:26 pm

Arneb wrote:Regarding the fact that everybody seems to be on first names terms with Sen. Clinton, I invite everyone here to read this guest poston someone's blog I occasionally read. I think it hits the nail squarely on the head.

Lovely essay, but in my case, I don't think it's because "she's a woman" as much as it is that we all got in the habit of calling her "Hillary" when she was the First Lady. I don't know why we did, we certainly don't go around calling Laura Bush by just her first name, but we did (maybe because "Hillary" is a less common name than "Laura"?) And I think she's stuck with it. Just like George Bush is stuck with "Dubya."
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:45 pm

I entirely believe you. On the other hand, I am quite sure most commentators and at least one poster on this board use the first name deliberately in a demeaning fashion.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:33 pm

troubleagain wrote:maybe because "Hillary" is a less common name than "Laura"?

I suspect that's a lot of it. In one Irish presidential election, talking about "Mary" would have been completely non-informative.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby troubleagain » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am

Arneb wrote:I entirely believe you. On the other hand, I am quite sure most commentators and at least one poster on this board use the first name deliberately in a demeaning fashion.

I'm not discounting that. I just don't think it's everyone who calls her "Hillary".
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:47 am

Outside of Limbaugh/Hannity and Fox News, who I have no doubt consciously try to be disrespectful, I tend to think the Hillary thing is about the fact there is another CLinton still on the scene. Just as we say Dubya or W to indicate the younger Bush, we sometimes want to be clear who we are referring to. After a couple times doing that, the name sticks. The first George Bush was always just that, but now he is almost always referred to as the elder Bush.

Not saying 100%, but I think that is where it comes from, not because she is a woman.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:20 am

A few years ago, Hillary Clinton did try taking the because-I'm-a-woman-I-should-be-exempt-from-all-criticism approach, although if she really thinks no one ever criticizes male politicians, she needs to talk to her husband more often. She seems to have grown out of that though...
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:21 am

Enzo wrote:Outside of Limbaugh/Hannity and Fox News, who I have no doubt consciously try to be disrespectful,

Now that it seems McCain is a shoo-in for his party's nomination, these guys are equal opportunity :)
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:30 am

Yes, they take the same behavior and add one from their side to the hit list, so they disrespect their own now too.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:35 am

Kids, it has less to do with politics than entertainment.

Woof! - Scott
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:52 am

Lance wrote:Less competition for Hillary?

That is right, Lance. Hillary might make it if everyone else either drops out or drops dead, including Obama.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Current Events and Politics