'Star Wars' creator attacks clones

Discussions of things currently in the news.

'Star Wars' creator attacks clones

Postby KLA2 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:01 pm

Send in the [strike]clowns [/strike]clones ...

Lucasfilm Ltd. and a British prop designer both claimed victory Thursday in a legal battle over the iconic Stormtrooper uniforms from the "Star Wars" films.

Andrew Ainsworth can sell his Stormtrooper uniforms everywhere except the U.S., his lawyer says.

George Lucas's film company had sued Andrew Ainsworth, who sculpted the Stormtrooper helmets for the first "Star Wars" movie in 1977.

High Court judge Anthony Mann ruled that Ainsworth violated Lucasfilm's U.S. copyright by selling replica Stormtrooper uniforms through his Web site to customers in the United States.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html

This seems somewhat petty and mean on the part of Lucas, but I suspect it is out of his hands.

"Lucasfilm Ltd." is not George Lucas. It is a heartless, soulless corporation, answerable to directors answerable to shareholders (and their lawyers) that protects its rights and properties with the judgement and compassion of a robotic sentry machine gun.

So I suspect. Perhaps legal minds here could clarify, Haid. :wink:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Re: 'Star Wars' creator attacks clones

Postby Мастер » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:02 pm

KLA2 wrote:"Lucasfilm Ltd." is not George Lucas. It is a heartless, soulless corporation, answerable to directors answerable to shareholders (and their lawyers) that protects its rights and properties with the judgement and compassion of a robotic sentry machine gun.

Well, I suspect George Lucas isn't really running his various operations as a charity board. But, I guess it comes down to what agreement was made between the parties when the work was done back in the 1970s. If it wasn't specified who had the rights to the design (perhaps because they didn't anticipate what a phenomenal success the film would be?), then I guess it is for the court to decide what the intentions of the parties were...

But this is Heid's territory, not mine. The above is just uninformed speculation :P
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:18 pm

I'm afraid I know nothing of intellectual property rights so can't add anything. Hey, this is worth exactly what you paid for it. :D
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Return to Current Events and Politics