Fallen Arches

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Fallen Arches

Postby Enzo » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:54 am

Arches National Park, Utah

Wall Arch

Not so fast...

Wall Arch today

Wall Arch, located along the popular Devils Garden Trail at Arches National Park collapsed sometime during the night of August 4, 2008. Rock has continued to fall from the arms of the remaining portion of the arch necessitating the closure of the Devils Garden Trail just beyond Landscape Arch.

On August 7, 2008, representatives from both the National Park Service Geologic Resources Division and the Utah Geological Survey visited the site and noted obvious stress fractures in the remaining formation. Rock debris has completely blocked this section of the trail. The closure will remain in effect until visitor safety issues can be resolved.

First reported and named by Lewis T. McKinney in 1948, Wall Arch was a free standing arch in the Slickrock member of the Entrada sandstone. The opening beneath the span was 71-feet wide and 33-1/2 feet high. It ranked 12th in size among the over 2,000 known arches in the park.

All arches are but temporary features and all will eventually succumb to the forces of gravity and erosion. While the geologic forces that created the arches are still very much underway, in human terms it’s rare to observe such dramatic changes.

No one has reported observing the arch collapse and there were no visitor injuries.

...National Park Service
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:02 pm

Wow! Glad I was not on it ... or under it at the time :shock: Hope no one was!

ETA: Thanks for posting that, Enzo. You are not without computer skills! :)
Last edited by KLA2 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby troubleagain » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:16 pm

Wow! I would have loved to have observed the collapse from a safe distance!
Resistance ain't no good. Y'all's gonna be assimilated.--The Good Ol' Borg
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:52 am

Cut and paste is now skills... yay!
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:18 pm

Enzo wrote:Cut and paste is now skills... yay!

Well, the best I can do is post links. :oops: I remember some complex instructions about opening a picture account somewhere, then ... anyway.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:38 pm

I learned how to do Photobucket a while back, but this is easier. That is for posting your own photos. Linking to online images is easier, nothing to upload. My computer skills are really minimal, and I can do this.

See a picture online, right click on it. Then properties. SOmewhere in the resulting box will be a lengthy web address, usually ending in .jpeg.

COPY that address.

Now come back here, and past that address between IMG brackets. The same way as doing a quote.

I grabbed those from the National Park Service site. In fact, right click on the photos in this thread, and the properties box will show the addres to them.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:13 am

Arrgh! Shiver me timbers! It works, matey! Thank'ee, and may your parrot always shit downwind!
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby troubleagain » Fri Aug 15, 2008 12:48 am

MY parrot deliberately flies back to ME to take a shit. #-o
-------------------
I'm never so happy as when I'm covered in bird poop, cat hair, dog slobber and garden dirt.
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:13 am

And our parrot ever so politely asks if he might know just what the chicken did...
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby troubleagain » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:06 pm

After promising never to swear again. :lol:
-------------------
troubleagain
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:43 pm

troubleagain wrote:After promising never to swear again. :lol:

Reminds me of a joke :)

A prim and proper little old lady wanders into a pet shop. She notices a magnificent parrot on sale for $50. She asks why it is so inexpensive. The shopkeeper explains that the bird was formerly owned by an old sea captain, from whom it acquired some fairly salty language.

Not to be dissuaded, she insists on buying the parot.

The following warm summer afternoon, her bridge club assembles at her house. No sooner have they sat down and begun sipping their tea, then the parrot starts up.

"Keeerist it's hot.
Keeerist it's hot."

The old lady is mortified. No matter what she tries, the parrot keeps repeating,

"Keeerist it's hot.
Keeerist it's hot."

The next day, she presents the problem to the pet dealer.

He scratches his head, and suggests that whenever the bird says something that displeases her, she should give its cage a spin. This, he explains, will disorient the bird and make it stop.

The following week, the bridge club assembles again. It is another warm afternoon.

Again, the bird starts in.

"Keeerist it's hot.
Keeerist it's hot."

The old lady walks over and gives the cage a spin. Silence.

She returns to her seat with a smug smile.

Then, from the spinning cage, they hear,

"Ahhh. Feel the f...ing breeze."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Current Events and Politics