Man with gun caught

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Man with gun caught

Postby KLA2 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:57 am

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Capitol Police arrested a man Friday after an officer spotted a rifle in his car when he stopped the officer to ask for directions two blocks from the Capitol building.

Christopher Shelton Timmons, 27, has been charged with carrying a deadly weapon, having an unregistered firearm and having unregistered ammunition, Capitol Police spokeswoman Sgt. Kimberly Schneider said.

In addition to the rifle -- an AK-47 -- police found a grenade, a pistol, ammunition, loaded magazines "and several other items of concern to the police" in the Jeep Cherokee he was driving.

Authorities said Timmons was convicted of carrying a concealed weapon in March in Albemarle County, Virginia, and served a month in jail. In that incident, Timmons had two grenades in his car, said Albemarle Police Chief John Miller.

The pins had been removed and the grenades were filled with powder, authorities said. They had an adhesive on top to close them and a firecracker for a fuse.

Law enforcement sources said the grenades were similar to an item found in Timmons vehicle Friday. That device has been taken to the FBI facility in Quantico, Virginia.

Members of the joint terrorism task force are involved in the investigation, sources said, but so far no one is suggesting Timmons was planning an attack of some kind. #-o :glp-abduct:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/09/05/cap ... index.html

And American politicians and news reporters talk of sealing the border so crazies and terrorists cannot sneak in from Canada … :roll:

Oh, oh, and "stopped to ask the officer for directions" ... :glp-chris18:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:00 am

What? Doesn't everyone carry automatic rifles and keep modified grenades with them for self-protection?

You know, in case those crazy Canadians decided to invade. :)
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby pmcolt » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:36 am

I'd be willing to bet that the "AK-47" is just one of Walmart's cheap semiauto knockoffs, and the grenades are inert novelties. Anyone dumb enough to get convicted of a concealed weapon charge in Virginia, a gun-friendly state, only to proceed a few months later to drive into Washington, the most gun-hostile place in the US, with a rifle in plain view, and then stop and ask a police officer for directions... Probably would've earned a Darwin award by now, had he actually ever had any sort of explosive device in his possession.

(I should mention that where I come from, just seeing a rifle in a car probably wouldn't give an officer probable cause to search. I recall an encounter with an officer who, after being informed that I was carrying a concealed handgun, didn't even care to see my weapon or my permit.. On the other hand, I hear that the slightest sniff of that evil wacky weed will earn you a complimentary trip downtown...)
Best before June 2000
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby The Beer Slayer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:38 pm

Somewhere a terrorist cell leader is closing his eyes and slapping himself in the forehead.
I plead the Fifth, but if you want to get pushy I'll plead the Second.
The Beer Slayer
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Enzo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:58 pm

Well, the report DID say this:

The pins had been removed and the grenades were filled with powder, authorities said. They had an adhesive on top to close them and a firecracker for a fuse.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Superluminal » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:10 am

OK, the pin holds the handle in place. When the handle is released, a small firing pin pops over and ignites a 5 second fuse. So was the tape holding the firing pin down? Sounds like it was a novelty grenade he filled with powder and rigged with a firecracker. I think a graduate from an Al-qaeda training camp would do a better job than that.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby The Beer Slayer » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:17 am

Maybe the tape was just holding the firecracker fuse in place.
I plead the Fifth, but if you want to get pushy I'll plead the Second.
The Beer Slayer
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Superluminal » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:22 am

Was it just the fuse or was he using a firecracker as a blasting cap?
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Current Events and Politics