Why the Titanic hit the iceberg?

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Why the Titanic hit the iceberg?

Postby KLA2 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:47 pm

... Turned right when it should have turned left ... :shock:

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/artic ... ic-sinking

No way to prove this, of course, but plausable ...

This tragedy was, as most are, the result and culmination of a long list of mistakes and cynical omissions. If any one had not occurred, the ship would not have gone to the bottom in 2 3/4 hours, or at least all the passengers would all have gotten off in boats. :cry:
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:18 am

Well at least it didn't invoke space aliens or claim some government did it on purpose rationale.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:33 pm

Enzo wrote:Well at least it didn't invoke space aliens or claim some government did it on purpose rationale.

:roll: Duh. What do you think clouded their minds, causing them to make such a such a wrong turn? Jeeze! I should spend more time on GLP where people think these things through. :P

{I see all hope of a serious discussion slipping away :lol: }
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:37 pm

It's subjective (sometimes Enzo forgets to put on his "I R Serious face"), of course, but I'd say you're the one who's steered us away from serious discussion in this thread...
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Superluminal » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Also, there's the theory that there was a fire in the coal storage bins. Capt. Smith was rushing to get to NY before it could spread. That's why he didn't slow down or go around the iceberg field.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Heard that one. Actually, there was more to it.

The theory is that they knew about the smouldering coal fire before leaving Southhampton, but for the sake of prestige, leaving on time AND setting a speed record crossing the Atlantic was paramount.

They gambled that the fire could be extinquished once at sea. They were wrong.

The smouldering coal produced fumes and deadly carbon monoxide which would spread around the ship. Ventilation on board the Titanic was not mechanically fan forced, but rather by giant air scoops on deck. The faster the forward motion, the greater the forced ventilation.

"Knowing" the ship was unsinkable, the captain reasoned that it was safer to risk a head on collision with an iceberg than have the passengers and crew asphyxiate.

I think this theory (not fact) has been discredited, but not disproved. Part of the long list ...
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:34 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:It's subjective (sometimes Enzo forgets to put on his "I R Serious face"), of course, but I'd say you're the one who's steered us away from serious discussion in this thread...

:o :cry: :cry:

I was set up. Framed, I tell ya ... :P

ETA: Oh, almost missed it. :glp-1doh1: Steered ... :glp-1rof1:
Last edited by KLA2 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:41 pm

Another in the long list of mistakes: Captain Smith was advised to maintain moving forward at dead slow for some ten(?) minutes after the collision. Bad advice. This served only to force water into the massive tear under pressure, causing it to rapidly overflow bulkheads.

Had the ship remained stationary, or even remained lodged on the iceberg, it is speculated it would have remained afloat hours longer, with rescue ships on the way.

Of course this is 20/20 hindsight ...
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:20 pm

Sure, but didn't we all learn at the First Aid course that when you get to someone who has a knive sticking out his chist, it's not a good idea to pull the knive out?
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby tubeswell » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Arneb wrote:Sure, but didn't we all learn at the First Aid course that when you get to someone who has a knive sticking out his chist, it's not a good idea to pull the knive out?

Depends whether you hate the guy or not :twisted:
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby KLA2 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:12 pm

Arneb wrote:Sure, but didn't we all learn at the First Aid course that when you get to someone who has a knive sticking out his chist, it's not a good idea to pull the knive out?

I learned that from Cyrano de Bergerac.

{The novel, not the real guy.} :lol:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Return to Current Events and Politics