Tampon ad in bad taste?

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Tampon ad in bad taste?

Postby KLA2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:23 am

In an effort to capture the attention of its viewing audience an Australian tampon company has angered the global transgendered community.
A Libra tampon commercial features two blonds— one a real woman, the other an obvious impersonator — fixing their makeup and adjusting their clothes in the mirror of a nightclub washroom. Though they are equals as they apply mascara and lip gloss, when the real woman plucks a Libra tampon from her purse, the statuesque drag queen becomes infuriated and leaves in a huff. The spot ends with the tagline “Libra gets girls.”

http://www.thestar.com/living/article/1 ... -community

Heck, folks, the basis of all humour is that it is insensitive – whether it is a pratfall, or a joke, somebody gets hurt.

On the other hand, you need to have a sense of humour. Unless jokes are targeted, vicious, malicious and intended to humiliate or harm a target group, (politicians excepted :wink: ), roll with it.

I am aware that transgendered people are discriminated against. But – everyone else gets kidded, why not them? Would it not be even worse discrimination to pretend they do not exist, or cannot take a joke?

I do not know many transgendered people (maybe one, once upon a time, on a bulletin board), but if they are good people, (as this person was) I would be proud to hang out with them.

My only reasonable request is, if you have a dick, let me know up front. :lol: (Not such an issue anymore since I am married. But still.)
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:50 am

It seems like the people they are offending would not be in the market for their product anyway.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:49 pm

Mactep wrote:It seems like the people they are offending would not be in the market for their product anyway.

Well, I guess there are women who transgender as men, and want to wear white pants.

But I do not think that is the crux of this complaint.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:55 am

But until those women can pee their names in the snow, they won't be buying condoms.

There. That ought to offend SOME one.

I think that is funny, I mean KLA2's item, not my retort. Oh well, both, I guess. When a group takes itself too seriously to even find humor in its qualities, then I can;t find myself taking them very seriously.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:15 am

Enzo wrote:But until those women can pee their names in the snow, they won't be buying condoms.

Well, they probably could. But it would take days. In very large letters.

Actually, would make a good Koors Light commercial.

{Deliberately misspelled to save Lance a lawsuit.} :wink:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:43 am

L_I_G_H_T, no, you spelled it correctly.

Y'see, that is how it was supposed to work.

(refer to failed joke in computers section thread.)
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:17 am

^ :lol:

Geeze, took me a minute to get it, Big Guy.
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:45 am

And I completely let this all pass without mentioning my original thought. "In poor taste? You're not supposed to chew on them."
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby KLA2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:53 am

Enzo wrote:And I completely let this all pass without mentioning my original thought. "In poor taste? You're not supposed to chew on them."

Oh, Enzo. I will pass up at least four retorts to that out of common decency, and instead report the contents of the post it note I stick on tampon dispensers in unoccupied women's restrooms:

"Gentlemen, do not smoke these cigars. They taste like cotton."

Hey, hey hey ... Enzo started this. :wink: :lol:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:02 am

Why, he's bloody stringing me along...
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Blue Monster 65 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:47 am

And I won't make the comment, "No - you want tampon ads that taste good."
Is there such a thing?
Blue Monster 65
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby KLA2 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:16 am

Hmmm, I see common decency is not that common.

OK, in the words of Big Flo, when the tampon was first released in 1936 without instructions deemed prurient, "For all the good that damned thing did, I might as well have shoved it up my c***.

Sincere apologies to any remaining ladies who still monitor this board. :oops: Who do not have a sense of humour. :wink:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Enzo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:22 pm

Expecting morals and decency from a tin can?

All I know is, I gotta get me some of them tampons. Apparently when you have them, you can ride horseback, go swimming, play tennis. I don't get to do those things now.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Enzo » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:25 pm

When I was on the radio in college, we were WMCD, 690 on the AM dial. We had little business cards with our station slogan:

WMCD - Radio 69, the station with the better taste.

Oh we were pretty darn clever, we were.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Arneb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm

Oh, you were, you were

A gentlemen manages to invite to his place the last of the available ladies in a bar. She is ugly as hell, but he has provided for that by taking in enough alcohol.

They have of wild sex. They love it.

The next morning, he awakes first, shudders at the ugliness of the woman beside him and makes for the bathroom.

Looking in the mirror, he sees a cord hanging from his mouth. "oh my Gawd, he thinks, please, please, let there be a tea bag at the other end".
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Return to Current Events and Politics