Brexit Delay

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Re: Brexit Delay

Postby Arneb » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:38 pm

He would merit a place on the Nominative Determinism thread, undoubtedly.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:48 pm

So the House overwhelmingly wrestles the initiative on alternative outcomes from the government, to shrill shrieks of disdain from the hard Brexiteer crowd and said government. And then they vote down each and every of 8 proposals sieved beforehand by the Speaker, can you believe it? Can? You? Believe? It?

So. Her deal or no deal, right?

This has to end.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lianachan » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:45 pm

After a night of voting, Parliament has now rejected every single type of Brexit, and no Brexit. I have always said that no deal would be the inevitable, and always intended, kind of Brexit that was forced on us. We didn’t even vote to leave the EU! Give us our fucking country back and let us escape this right-wing coups and rejoin the civilised world.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Arneb » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:13 pm

Lianachan wrote:I have always said that no deal would be the inevitable, and always intended, kind of Brexit that was forced on us.

The Speaker has now allowed IM Mai to resubmit re Brexit deal to Parliament, because it is now somehow "substantially different" than before. I even tend to agree, because sometimes, context is everything. Anyway, even the super-Brexiteers now say they will vote for it, because Parliament is riddled with traitorous Remainers hell-bent on disregarding the will of the people an always trying to drag Britain back from the heavens that only a no-deal Brexit could put the country in. So they will, with a heavy heart, vote for the deal in order not to have Brexit destroyed.

Isn't that a final irony? The people most ardent to plunge Britain into chaos may yet prove you wrong and allow a deal to pass (although they will have to find a few MPs jumping in for the 10 DUPers still bent on No).

I'm on sick leave at the moment, and I am pretty sure I'll be watching the train wreck unfold tomorrow. Ordeeeer!
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby tubeswell » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:33 am

So is She resigning or not?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:06 am

Arneb wrote:IM Mai

I am afraid the answer is supposed to be obvious, and I’m going to feel like a fool for asking, but - where does this particular name/title come from?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:30 am

Мастер wrote:
Arneb wrote:IM Mai

I am afraid the answer is supposed to be obvious, and I’m going to feel like a fool for asking, but - where does this particular name/title come from?

The answer must be somewhere in the guts of this thread, or maybe not. It is not at all obvious.

You may be aware that the Tory government which replaced the Labour government in 2010, from the beginning, worked hard to poison the atmosphere of openness and cosmopolitanism that had developed in Britain (at least in some parts) during the 80s and 90s. The atmosphere that created the Brexit vote of 2016 was well-prepared and long in the making - a relentless barrage of fake news, resentment and petulance towards foreigners, the EU, you name it, from the government and the Yellow Press that cheered it on.

One of the measures that Theresa May took was trying to oblige students and staff to report unwelcome, "radical" opinions at British universities. I didn't know that until Richard_A told me how he had related this story to our shared friends who grew up in the GDR. They had been particularly repelled at this because it reminded them of the net of inside men that the Stasi had kept. These people, numbering about 175,000 people in the 60s, were called Inoffizielle Mitarbeiter (Inofficial members of staff), abbreviated IM. Every IM had a self-styled code name. So I invented "IM Mai" (in the German spelling) and have referred to Theresa May in that way ever since. She is, in my view, quite a despicable person, and for me she is Exhibit A how the Tories have betrayed Britain under the guise of saving it from the EU. "Stop the rot from Brussels", as Michael Portillo, another repulsive Tory minister in the 90s, once put it).

tubeswell wrote:So is She resigning or not?

As a Tory MP said on Wednesday, the only thing we know about 29 March is that it will be a Friday. IM Mai has offered her resignation after May 22 in exchange for her Brexit deal to be accepted today. If Parliament does not accept the deal, everything is up in the air again, the clock ticking down towards a No Dea. Brexit on 12 April. As I understand it, she intends to stay in office if that happens.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:09 pm

Arneb wrote:were called Inoffizielle Mitarbeiter (Inofficial members of staff), abbreviated IM.

Ah, I see. So would Ulrich Mühe in Das Leben Der Anderen have been an OM? :)

So, If I understand correctly, a vote in 20 minutes?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:30 pm

Мастер wrote:
Arneb wrote:were called Inoffizielle Mitarbeiter (Inofficial members of staff), abbreviated IM.

Ah, I see. So would Ulrich Mühe in Das Leben Der Anderen have been an OM? :)

So, If I understand correctly, a vote in 20 minutes?

He would have been, nut they didn't use that term - he was probably an Offizier or just Mitarbeiter.

Jeremy Corbin and Theresa May both making a passionate appeal against and for the deal. Divsioooooon, clear the lobby.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:36 pm

So, they are voting now.

So, it is 2:30 in the afternoon on 29 March, and we're not sure what's going to happen.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:36 pm

If I may, I would like to ask our friends from Scotland what they think of Nicola Sturgeon.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:38 pm

Мастер wrote:If I may, I would like to ask our friends from Scotland what they think of Nicola Sturgeon.

But, I would also be interested if any of our other friends have any opinion one way or the other on her.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:43 pm

The nos have it. So no deal.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Lance wrote:The nos have it. So no deal.

CNN updated their website faster than the BBC.

So this means April 12, no deal?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:46 pm

Also, the "breaking news" banner at the CNN website says "Stand by for more political turmoil in the UK" :)
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:53 pm

The Ayes to the right, 286. The Noes to the left, 344. So the noes have it.

So. April 12 is The Day. Until then, it's either a long hiatus, cum European elections, and maybe cum referendo, or the no deal Brexit most, but quite apparently not all, fear the most.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Well, IM Mai came within 100 votes this time.

"HGW XX/7" would be a good username, would it not?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:11 pm

Aaaand The Other Donald convenes anothernothenother emergency summit of the European Council for April 10, for last last last last last-deliberations about what can be done about Brexit.

My guess: They will find a way to drag this out even longer.

Meanwhile, scantily clad ladies dance on the tables of the Kremlin to loud cheers from more than slightly tipsy men who celebrate how their second enemy in a row is taking itself apart, with nothing more than a little help from Russia, with love. Kpimckoe and Bodka all round.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Arneb » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:14 pm

Мастер wrote:Well, IM Mai came within 100 votes this time.

"HGW XX/7" would be a good username, would it not?

Not too many would get it, so yes.

It has to be said that only Inoffizielle Mitarbeiter signed their reports with their undercover names. So Hauptmann Wiesler (correctly identified as an officer) would have signed with his real name. But it did add a nice poetic touch.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:20 pm

OK, I'm confused.

BBC website is reporting that a deal (and a longer extension) could still be arranged by April 12. I thought the deadline was today.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:21 am

No. 12 April is the date on which Britain will leave the EU without a deal if nothing else happens. They could still revoke art. 50; they could still ask for a long extension and hold a European election if Parliament found a majority for something, anything, on Monday; or IM Mai could submit her deal a fourth time and get it passed; that would probably give the Eúropean Council a reason to extend to May 22 after all.

As Lianachan said, the different factions and interest groups hold each other down in a way that will probably - to the joy of some - send the UK down the no deal cliff on April 12 - an unadulterated triumph for the extreme right in the Tory party, managing to get what they always wanted with a Parliamentary minority of about 25 % and about as much support in the population.

As Lianachan (and the SNP leader, too - yesterday, in Parlaiment) also said, this will probably spell the end for the Union of Parliaments, too.

Just read this amusing side note: There is a dessert dish that was, legend has it, cobbled together by a distressed patissier at Eton college after he had dropped a cake platter shortly before serving it: Eton Mess, made of strawberries, crumbled meringue, whipped cream and bits of flan base. The Brexit shambles is often called Eton mess because many of the hard Brexiteers come from the highbrow Eton elite. Now in a classic display of British humour, the MP canteen in Westminster offered Eton Mess as its dessert yesterday, priced at 1.08 pound - one penny for every time Theresa May had said in Parliament that Britain would leave the EU on March 29.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby tubeswell » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Arneb wrote:...Now in a classic display of British humour, the MP canteen in Westminster offered Eton Mess as its dessert yesterday, priced at 1.08 pound - one penny for every time Theresa May had said in Parliament that Britain would leave the EU on March 29.

Wonder how many times she'll threaten to resign before the exit?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Arneb » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:49 am

So, the Noes have it again.
NO to a customs union
NO to a second referendum
NO to staying in the common market
NO to Parliament having the last word in the moment before the car goes over the cliff.

The ones rejoicing are the Rees-Moggs and the DUPers. While their extremist only-no-deal-is-a-happy deal politics do not command a majority, neither in Parliament, nor in the population, everything, but everything, goes their way because everyone else would rather die rather than budge, or, on the other hand, is too cowardly to vote with the other side of the house. If this weren't a tragedy, one could give the ultra-Brexiteers a round of applause and admire the sheer mastery of their machinations.

Lianachan may get your living-in-caves-scenario earlier than he thought he would.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Richard A » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:14 am

Yes, it is particularly frustrating. Finally, finally, Jeremy Corbyn formally instructed Labour MPs to support a customs union (actually, that one was always Labour policy), EEA membership and even a 2nd referendum. All the signs were there on Friday that a customs union could make it through. But then Reform UK (rebranded from The Independent Group) vote against it. Anna Soubry was on the radio this morning to explain why - because it wouldn't include regulatory alignment. In other words, it didn't maintain a close enough relationship with the EU. I agree, it didn't. But it would absolutely have consigned no-deal - a far worse proposition - to the dustbin. And MPs were free to vote in favour of more than one option. In other words, the Reform group could have voted for EEA membership and/or a 2nd referendum and still voted for the customs union as an insurance policy. I also see with displeasure that my own MP abstained from voting on the customs union and against the EEA option - because he held out for the 2nd referendum. That pro-Remain MPs handed potential, even likely, victory to the no-deal brigade by refusing to vote for a compromise is maddening! They're talking about another attempt on Wednesday - if the Speaker allows it, I hope some will show more sense.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Arneb » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:25 am

Anna Soubry? Really? Good God, I respected her a lot until yesterday. Wasn't it her who said in the debate MPs should vote for second choices, too, as opposed to voting only for what they felt was best? This is atrocious.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events and Politics