President Elect Donald J. Trump

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Re: President Elect Donald J. Trump

Postby Lance » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:14 am

Мастер wrote:A somewhat bigger straw might be the possibility that it won't actually be that bad, as it's only been a few weeks since the election, and he's already backtracked on an awful lot of his positions . . .

Yeah, I've thought about that. What bothers me is that he still has his 3:00am "Twitter Storms" as they're being called. The New York Times and the cast of Hamilton were a couple of his latest. This apparent lack of self control bothers me. What happens when he has the nuclear codes and the Prince of Bumfuckistan pisses him off?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:19 am

Well, Trump was telling us all along that the election was rigged, and there was massive voter fraud.

I stand by my salesman claim. he backpedals now from things said on the campaign, but what happens when the Taliban kills a dozen of our soldiers, or Kim Jong-un threatens us, or he has a disagreement with a Euro-leader. MAybe he alienates the entire middle east - the Israelis and the Arabs. I think the Russians believe they can manipulate him, and if they can't, what then? And so on. The election went his way. How does he consistently react when things do not go his way? petulance in a world leader is scary.

Aha, I see Lance has just made a similar point.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:20 am

Even if he ends up not being destructive, I don't think he'll ever not be scary.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Enzo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:49 am

I think circumstances can make him scary or not. Imagine what W would have had to do to start a war with Iraq if 9/11 had not happened.

One thing that scares me is he seems to be appointing cabinet heads who would destroy the department they head. Sarah "drill, baby, drill" Palin for interior for example. Or a big oil or coal guy for Energy. etc. I think he doesn't much care who he pisses off or alienates, and when his wall to wall republican congress sends him a bill to sign eliminating health care or social security or meat inspection, he has no particular incentive not to sign it.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:47 pm

I mean scary because we'll never know what he may do in a given circumstance. But yeah, I see what you're saying too.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Enzo » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:22 pm

Oh it is all one big scary continuum.

Today's paper had a"5 potential challenges" to Trump administration. In brief: Iran nuclear deal, North Korea missile and nuclear testing, Syrian civil war, trade with China, Ukraine conflict.

LAtest cabinet, Betsy DeVos for Education head. The DeVos's were the family that started Amway, and are solidly "west Michigan". West Michigan is code for religious right. She went to Christian high school and college. She stands for allowing prayer in schools, not having the government set standards, public money for private schools, etc.

Her Brother started Blackwater Security.

And of course, is yet another billionaire.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:52 pm

And that's what I mean by scary.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Enzo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:48 pm

Well, this came by in the news feed today, elector quits rather than vote as pledged for the republican.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... li=BBnb7Kz
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:06 pm

Well, that's a start.

And I guess he finally took Michigan with a 10,704 lead.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Enzo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:41 am

He took it all along, just the certification date finally came, so they did the deed. They may have to do a recount as per the above, but won;t likely change anything.

Saw also today the Trump camps is pissed that they want recounts in three states. Oh the irony after Trump pronouncing he might not accept the election results, if they went against him.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby g-one » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:44 am

And the Trumpets are also claiming that Hillary winning the popular vote is because of illegal voters, or in other words, it was rigged. But recounts are bad, mkay?
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Lance » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:56 am

And now, not to be outdone by Wisconsin, Michigan has its own interesting irregularities.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Enzo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:00 am

Well, it is an editorial. But I believe it. he assumes no one cares about the down ticket, but that is not true. And this election more than any I can recall in 70 years had people saying they HATED both candidates. Many people realize that voting green party or something makes a statement no one hears and won't really do anything. So they leave the top blank. The local congress race got pretty vocal, as many of them did except in the rural zones. We didn't have any issues or proposals this time though. Lots of crap like university regents and trustees, judges, local officials. I have no idea who the University of Michigan regents candidates are, but I always vote against the republican ones just because. Since the overall was so very close, I suspect any 87,000 votes not cast would have gone more or less equally. it would have been exceeedingly difficult to cull 87,000 votes off the top across the state and have them all lean one way.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Heid the Ba » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:50 am

Enzo wrote: Lots of crap like university regents and trustees, judges, local officials.

Posts that no-one should vote for because competent people should be appointed by competent authorities. Elected sheriffs and judges just make my head hurt. This is how you end up with fuckwits like Joe Arpiao (sp?) and that black white supremacist in Milwaukee. These people fuck your country up more consistently and for longer than the president can.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:45 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:
Enzo wrote: Lots of crap like university regents and trustees, judges, local officials.

Posts that no-one should vote for because competent people should be appointed by competent authorities.

I happen to think that applies to all posts.

In the Netherlands we don't have any elected government executives at all, and I hope it stays that way.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Lance » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:55 pm

We didn't used to here either. Then tea got too expensive so we decided so we Trump would make it all better.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Мастер » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:20 pm

Enzo wrote:Well, this came by in the news feed today, elector quits rather than vote as pledged for the republican.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ ... li=BBnb7Kz

I don't know whether you read his reasons for not wanting to support Trump, but I guess you folks will take what you can get at this point . . .

So I think I can infer from this that the electors are chosen before the party nominee is known (or likely to be known). The article also refers to some not-very-well-specified process for producing a replacement elector. Although that comes from the elector himself, who I suppose may or may not be well-versed in the relevant laws and procedures.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:15 am

Oh I have no delusions that any of this will change the election result.

The big noise now is here in Michigan, as well as Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, the green party has asked for a recount. It won't matter for the election, the Trump margin in each was larger than the typical recount adjustment. But for the greens it can make a big difference in meeting minimum qualifications for matching funds etc in the NEXT election. Not to mention getting an automatic place on the ballot.

Of course the Trump lawyers - from the team that famously was not going to accept the election results - are fighting tooth and nail to prevent it. The voices are all crying that there is no possible way the green woman can win, so why the recount, ignoring the obvious reasons. They further cry that it won't gave Hillary the win. True but irrelevant.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lance » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:10 am

Well, Wisconsin found three precincts that reported more Trump votes than were cast, and Michigan already found ~2,000 erroneous Trump votes, reducing their total accordingly. It's highly unlikely, but if there really was some shady business going on, who knows? This is the kind of stuff recounts find.

And I certainly agree that Trump's margins were greater that a recount would normally overturn, but nothing about this election has been normal so far.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Мастер » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:39 am

Halcyon Dayz, FCD wrote:I happen to think that applies to all posts.

In the Netherlands we don't have any elected government executives at all, and I hope it stays that way.

You could go with something like the Iranian system :)
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:44 am

Heid the Ba' wrote:and that black white supremacist in Milwaukee

:shock:

Heid the Ba' wrote:Posts that no-one should vote for because competent people should be appointed by competent authorities. Elected sheriffs and judges just make my head hurt. This is how you end up with fuckwits like Joe Arpiao (sp?) and that black white supremacist in Milwaukee. These people fuck your country up more consistently and for longer than the president can.

From my time in North America, I do remember that the election ballots were, well, quite long. Most people would go to vote because they're think about the presidency, the congress, the senate, often the governor of the state, maybe the state legislators. Then there is this long list of candidates for the membership of the local school board, the local town committee, the chief of the fire district, the board of directors of the water reclamation authority, judges for multiple courts at multiple levels in multiple jurisdictions, and so on. Most of these latter people have names that hardly anyone will recognise, unless they are really keen followers of local politics. I suspect must people vote for these lesser offices on the basis of whether there is a "D" or an "R" after the name (or possibly some other designation).
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Dragon Star » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:07 pm

Мастер wrote:
Heid the Ba' wrote:and that black white supremacist in Milwaukee

:shock:

Heid the Ba' wrote:Posts that no-one should vote for because competent people should be appointed by competent authorities. Elected sheriffs and judges just make my head hurt. This is how you end up with fuckwits like Joe Arpiao (sp?) and that black white supremacist in Milwaukee. These people fuck your country up more consistently and for longer than the president can.

From my time in North America, I do remember that the election ballots were, well, quite long. Most people would go to vote because they're think about the presidency, the congress, the senate, often the governor of the state, maybe the state legislators. Then there is this long list of candidates for the membership of the local school board, the local town committee, the chief of the fire district, the board of directors of the water reclamation authority, judges for multiple courts at multiple levels in multiple jurisdictions, and so on. Most of these latter people have names that hardly anyone will recognise, unless they are really keen followers of local politics. I suspect must people vote for these lesser offices on the basis of whether there is a "D" or an "R" after the name (or possibly some other designation).

This is why I disqualify myself from voting at all for president. I'm not knowledgeable enough nor do I have the time to be to put down my votes for this or that when 99% of people making the same choice known as little or less than I do about the same choices. Due to my lack of affiliation with any party, that makes it virtually impossible.

If the vote was split between the different levels of government, presidential voter turnout would increase I imagine a LOT, and everything else would plummet as you get to lower and lower levels. Only thing people around here talked about at all were 1) POTUS, 2) GMO Mosquito's, 3) Sheriff (and only a few mentioned this much at all.)
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby tubeswell » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:45 am

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Lance » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:51 am

You guys have heard me go on and on about Breaking Bad.

Now, this has happened:

Watch on youtube.com

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby g-one » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:01 am

A video got removed from youtube?
:mrgreen:
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events and Politics