President Donald J. Trump

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Re: President Donald J. Trump

Postby Lianachan » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:49 pm

Arneb wrote:Image

Superb!
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Lance » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Arneb wrote:... trust America to not make the same mistake twice.

Bush Wins Second Term
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Arneb » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:44 pm

There is that, yes.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:18 pm

He wants to ramp up military spending, but also wants all the other countries to make their own armies and defense. I wonder if he has considered those countries then might have no use for our military bases. How might we wield our military might if we don't have forward positions like bases in Germany and Japan? We are slowly alienating - or maybe not so slowly - places like Turkey. next time we want to bomb a towel head village, we'll have to fly in from Delaware. I doubt he has that depth of thought.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:32 pm

Enzo wrote:I wonder if he has considered those countries then might have no use for our military bases.

I have often thought that if the Great Orange One gets his way on this particular issue, he might not like the result . . . not so much in terms of military bases, but because European countries may display an unwelcome level of "independence" in foreign policy if they have the ability to defend themselves.

When the Soviet Union invaded Afghanistan, they had trouble believing that any Afghan would not welcome the wonderful new government the Soviets were giving them. Any more recent cases of that phenomenon? This sort of arrogance seems to be commonplace. Of course all the European countries will continue to support the US on everything, because the US is the best and always right about everything - is it not?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Enzo wrote:next time we want to bomb a towel head village, we'll have to fly in from Delaware.

Nah, just Diego Garcia.

Мастер wrote:because the US is the best and always right about everything - is it not?

Yer GAWD DAMM RIGHT we are! 'Merka 'Merka 'Merka

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Arneb » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:12 am

Here's one I'd like to call your attention to: An alternate Nate Silver gives an account from an alternate history where Hillary Clinton won the Presidency narrowly, and reading it I am far less sure Earth 2 is a better place than our Earth than I should be, being a weasly European tree hugger librul. It sounds a lot like the alternative between plague and cholera Mactep insisted this election was.

Maybe the only thing able to pull the Repblicans out of their quagmire od resentment-led policies, reality denial and white male chauvinism is one of them really, really, really botching it. Like now.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:36 pm

Ha! Scaramucci gets this year's Conan O'Brien award for shortest tenure as host of a shit show. Thanks for the memories, Mooch!
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Arneb » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:01 pm

From a satire and comedy standpoint, these are golden days indeed.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby wring » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:10 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:Ha! Scaramucci gets this year's Conan O'Brien award for shortest tenure as host of a shit show. Thanks for the memories, Mooch!

I've been pointing out that fast food restaurants have a better employee retention rate.
wring
Illuminatus
Illuminatus
Quackers
Mother Ducker

Postby Мастер » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:29 pm

What kind of failure rate are we having on Trump appointees? Are they concentrated in specific areas?

The question that occurs to me is, if you take a job in the Trump administration, and it ends up being rocky, with your dismissal a short time later, is this damaging to your future career? (Going back to the Nixon days, was Archibald Cox damaged by his dismissal? It certainly seems Nixon was.)

If taking a job in the Trump administration carries a high risk of a career-damaging dismissal, then I would think the high-profile players would avoid it, and he would have go with relative lightweights, for whom the job is such a step up that they find it worth the risk. On the other hand, if the dismissal is not particularly career-damaging, then he could probably still get some heavyweights to fill the positions. (Whether he actually does so or not is a separate question.)
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Enzo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:36 am

Many do avoid it. There have been several high level appointments where several potential candidates have turned down the job offer.

Example: the rotating door for FBI director. I think they have been largely competent people, and they get fired for not fouling the nest, so to speak. On the other hand, more visible players have risen to the level where they demonstrate they are assholes, and for them, the only career I see is with Fox News. Kelly Ann Conway, for example, showed she was less good at lying than even Sarah PAlin. Sean SPicer was an instant parody target. And the Mooch came up and as soon as he opened his mouth - ASSHOLE alerts went up.

Considering the very visible incompetence of the president, I don't think any of the qualified individuals will suffer. It is the people who expected to ride the presidents coat tails to success who will get mud on their faces.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Мастер » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:03 am

Enzo wrote:Considering the very visible incompetence of the president, I don't think any of the qualified individuals will suffer.

I would have guessed that, if you get fired on some matter of principle, it might actually be a career booster.

I'd say this did not happen in the case of Archibald Cox though; he didn't really suffer as a result of his dismissal, but it doesn't seem like he benefitted either. His career progressed in a way that was probably similar to how it would have gone had he never taken the job in the first place.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:36 am

I think any of them could play the "I thought I could help protect America from Trump" card and probably do okay.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:05 am

Мастер wrote:What kind of failure rate are we having on Trump appointees? Are they concentrated in specific areas?

His lawyers are all second division people without the experience they need. The good firms won't touch Trump partly for reputational reasons and partly because he has burned so many people by not paying them that they simply aren't interested.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:52 am

What I find deeply irritating is that an (apparently competent) secretary for homeland security, the holder of THE top national security job, is being moved in order to keep the White House from self-made chaos.

It's a bit like the captain of an aircraft carrier in full combat mode being called down into the officers' mess to clean up the dirty tables.
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Enzo » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:54 am

Of course that captain started the food fight.
E Pluribus Condom
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Arneb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:36 pm

Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lianachan » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:23 pm

David Schneider on Twitter wrote:
Help! I'm down to be Trump's communication director between 3-4pm on November 9th but I'm not free. Can anyone swap shifts with me?
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lianachan » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:08 pm

Alex Salmond, discussing Trump today wrote:The Grand Canyon is a minor crevice compared to the vast chasm of ignorance of that man. The President of the United States is a complete and utter nincompoop.

Can't argue with that, really.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:54 pm

What he also is....

Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lance » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:52 pm

With all that he has going against him, arrogance, stubbornness, not too bright, questionable morals, and very little ethics, how did he become so successful? He embodies everything that is wrong with America yet he shits on gold toilets. I don't get it.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Arneb » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:54 pm

Well, as Winston Chruchill is reputed to have sahttp://www.illuminati-r-us.com/forums ... gosearchid, it's because democracy is a lousy form of government. Only there is none better.

You see, peoples can make mistakes. Germans voted Hitler into office (his max. share of the vote was 45 %, IIRC, so he made sure there would be no more free and fair elections afterwards). The people of the Gaza strip voted Hamas into office. Ahmadinejad (remember the madman with the craggy beard?) was elected in elections that weren't fair, but largely free and equal. Brits chose Brexit. Italians are liable to chose aTrumpesque TV figure with no plan whatsoever. These thy Ronald Reagan ings happen, and the consquences are sometimes dire. There is a classical historian, Thukydides, who describes, in exquisite detail, how Athen's democracy (if you want to call it that) self-destructed through arrogance, demagoguery, greed, and just plain, wrong bad decisions. Rome's Republic was abolished when she was two thirds through her history, yet the Roman Empire was to alst another half millenium, and climbed to its peak in power a full 200 years later.

Democracy isn't a no brainer, it isn't natural. It is formed by high ideas and ideals, it is won in brutal wars and it is preserved, yes, through eternal vigilance. I read a few days ago a quotation by Ronald Reagan (whom I didn't have on my list of theoreticians of democracy), and he said that the failure of democracy is ever only a generation away, at most. We mustn't let it slide. I think Americans have let it slide by taking it for granted, and to their eternal shame, the two big parties (R more than D, if you ask me) have cheered them along.

America will have a rude awakening from this, it's wealth, power, standing, respect and internal fabric (Mitt Romney used that word. Mitt. Romney!) diminished and damaged. But hey, take it from the video we both linked to: Even Vee Vör teechubill!
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lance » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:38 am

You are absolutely spot on! And thank you for taking the time to explain things like that.

In this particular case, my question was more about how he became who he is before the political aspirations. I understand how DJT got elected, I just don't understand how such an asshole became DJT.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:04 am

Having very little ethics is actually a boon in business.

And he had quite the head-start.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events and Politics