Happy 90th, Christa Ludwig

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Happy 90th, Christa Ludwig

Postby Arneb » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:21 pm

One of my classical music moments again, but bear with me. Christa Ludwig's career as a mezzosoprano singer spanned 50 years. She is one of the singers of the postwar-era with the highest standing, much sought after by such divergent characters as Lennie Bernstein and Herbert von Karajan. Her intensity, her fierce intellect and her utter will for perfection set her apart. She was no fireworker, no flame spouter, but the explorer of every nuance.

This recording captures it best: The Zähren aria in Bach's St. Matthew Passion - it is sung in the moment after the treason of Peter, when he collapses in tears at cockcrow. There is a minimum of text: "Erbarme Dich, mein Gott, um meiner Zähren willen! Schaue mich! Herz und Augen weint vor Dir bitterlich. Erbarme Dich, erbarme Dich! - Have mercy, my God, For the sake of my tears. Look at me - heart and eyes weeps bitterly before you. Have mercy, have mercy!" For me, this is the emotional heart and soul of the entire passion story, and sometimes I get the feeling it was for Bach, too.

Watch on youtube.com
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Return to Current Events and Politics