Brit Out

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Brit Out

Postby Richard A » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:24 am

So now France has spelt out explicitly what "Leave Means Leave" actually means. The UK will be a third country and her citizens third country nationals, with all that that implies. No different to Moroccans, Afghans, Nigerians, etc. No doubt the French Senate Bill will be tweaked a bit: having gone to a lot of effort, with some success, to persuade banks and investment firms to relocate from London to Paris, I don't doubt that work visas will be arranged in good time for the relevant staff! But these are minor details: if Britain wanted Calais, on the morning of 30 March, to look like Loerrach, it should have negotiated accordingly. (Hmmm, wondering whether Dominic Raab knows where Loerrach is - I bet Boris doesn't!)

Of course, the Leave press are outraged - how dare the French do this? (Why did they actually think that taking control of our borders didn't mean the EU taking control of its?) Merkel's announcement that, in the event of a no-deal Brexit, yes of course UK citizens will need visas, should have got it finally into their skulls that when the EU talks about solidarity of the Member States, it means it - but possibly not yet.

Ironically, the person who'll be most rubbing his hands at all this is not Putin, but Erdogan. UK citizens' ability to get Turkish tourist visas quickly and efficiently online is unlikely to change and the lira is falling even faster than the pound (in April 2018, £1 got me 5 Turkish lira; it now buys 7). So the Essex lads will now be heading to Marmaris instead of Tenerife and we'll be buying Turkish fruit when we can no longer afford Italian or Spanish. Hmmm.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Re: Brit Out

Postby Lianachan » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:07 pm

We have plenty of room for you in the lifeboat.

A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Return to Current Events and Politics