Мудак

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Re: Мудак

Postby Мастер » Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:05 pm

Lance wrote:Can you translate for those of us who may not be able to read it?

First word: иди - imperative form of "go"

Second word: на - on or onto

Third word: хуй - vulgar word, perhaps "knob" or "dick" is the best translation

As per above, the form of иди is the familiar form, to be used when addressing someone you know. When speaking with someone you don't know, the polite form идите should be used.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:47 pm

So basically, "go fuck yourself"? Or since it's the familiar, would it be "go fuck yourself my friend"?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Мастер » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:19 pm

Lance wrote:So basically, "go fuck yourself"? Or since it's the familiar, would it be "go fuck yourself my friend"?

More or less.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:30 am

So I found this one on the interwebs.

main-qimg-74d4d4272ecc09b9de7502b29f5ae1ca-lq.jpeg
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:44 pm

:glp-1rof1:
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby tubeswell » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:51 am

(Sorry don't know how to embed gifs)

Admin Note:
But I do! It's fixed.
-Lance
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Мастер » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:17 pm

Мастер wrote:
Lance wrote:Can you translate for those of us who may not be able to read it?

First word: иди - imperative form of "go"

Second word: на - on or onto

Third word: хуй - vulgar word, perhaps "knob" or "dick" is the best translation

As per above, the form of иди is the familiar form, to be used when addressing someone you know. When speaking with someone you don't know, the polite form идите should be used.

This young lady has the same message painted on her back, with "Putin" appended at the end.

main-qimg-7c20a3fd4455c8f681e5f158080c927b.jpeg

It's a still photo, I don't know whether she turned around, because it seems like he wouldn't be able to read the message from where he is. Unless she has the same message painted on her chest.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby tubeswell » Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:15 am

What is this woman saying at the end?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300725 ... in-ukraine
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Tue Nov 01, 2022 5:31 am

tubeswell wrote:What is this woman saying at the end?

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300725 ... in-ukraine

I can’t quite make it one word she used, but I’m pretty sure I know the meaning.

So she referred to the Ukrainian government, then didn’t know the English word, and asked someone off camera how to say American puppet. (It is the “puppet” word I’m not sure about.) That person apparently didn’t know the English word either, so she continued by pretending she had a hand puppet and using a silly voice for Zelenskiy.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby tubeswell » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:35 am

tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:21 am

I think she'll be happier there.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:29 am

So reports are that the Russian withdrawal from Kherson is a ruse, designed to lure the Ukrainians into street fighting.

I guess the theory is, Russia can do better in that sort of battle. Currently, the Ukrainians are pounding the crap out of them with weapons that have superior accuracy/range, and which are targeted with satellite imagery/GPS guidance. Russia has its own global positioning system, but is seems it is not as good. (A substantially more accurate satellite type has been designed and at least partially built, but has not been launched yet.) And the Americans had the foresight to include the capability to add error to the GPS signals, error which can be undone if you know the secret code. The Russian system it seems does not have this capability.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby tubeswell » Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:59 pm

Мастер wrote: ... the Americans had the foresight to include the capability to add error to the GPS signals, ... . The Russian system it seems does not have this capability.

I thought all GPS satellite operators knew about this? There has to be an adjustment for e=mc^2 Does there not? ;)

tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:54 am

tubeswell wrote:
Мастер wrote: ... the Americans had the foresight to include the capability to add error to the GPS signals, ... . The Russian system it seems does not have this capability.

I thought all GPS satellite operators knew about this? There has to be an adjustment for e=mc^2 Does there not? ;)

I know the American one does that, I assume the others do too.

But the American system can add deliberate, random error as well. When I bought my first handheld GPS, it really wasn’t all that accurate. Good enough to find the building or street you were looking for, but definitely not down to the metre. It’s way better now. I think part of that is technical improvement (they have more satellites now), but also the error has been turned off. They sometimes turn it back on when there is combat going on.

I understand in the first gulf war, the US didn’t have enough military GPS units (which correct for the error), so they had to use civilian GPS units (which don’t). So they had to turn the error off, and I think they just left it off after the war. It might be turned back on now in satellites when they pass over Ukraine, but I’m just guessing there.

The Russian system should be pretty good as designed, but the implementation has lagged behind the planning.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lianachan » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:39 am

The inaccuracy was by a system called Selective Availability which introduced timing errors to throw the recorded position out a bit. It was indeed switched off temporarily during the Gulf War, and was turned off again for good in 2000. The latest satellites lack the functionality, so that should eventually make it impossible to switch back on. We use SIM cards for increased accuracy and a good archaeological gps will be accurate to 1 cm or less.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Arneb » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:37 am

Wow, a centimetr. That's an achievement.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Lianachan » Wed Nov 09, 2022 11:02 am

Well you kind of need that when surveying or mapping out sites, plotting find spots, etc.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Arneb » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:48 pm

Oh, no doubt about that. But that it, you know, actually works is something I find breathtaking.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:27 pm

Lianachan wrote:The inaccuracy was by a system called Selective Availability which introduced timing errors to throw the recorded position out a bit. It was indeed switched off temporarily during the Gulf War, and was turned off again for good in 2000. The latest satellites lack the functionality, so that should eventually make it impossible to switch back on. We use SIM cards for increased accuracy and a good archaeological gps will be accurate to 1 cm or less.

Back in the day Dutch archaeologists recorded their GPS mapping and then compared it to a recording made at a known fixed position at the exact same time to eliminate the error.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Мастер » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:51 pm

Halcyon Dayz, FCD wrote:Back in the day Dutch archaeologists recorded their GPS mapping and then compared it to a recording made at a known fixed position at the exact same time to eliminate the error.

I didn't know the details, but I had heard part of the motivation for turning it off was that it had essentially been defeated anyway.

Lianachan wrote:a good archaeological gps will be accurate to 1 cm or less.

:shock:

That's more accurate than any of my current needs.

Would I be correct to guess that a unit like that will be substantially more $$$$ or ££££ or €€€€ than the usual ones?

Arneb wrote:Oh, no doubt about that. But that it, you know, actually works is something I find breathtaking.

I think I can remember a time when, if you told me one day we would be determining the positions of things on earth to within 1cm using signals from satellites in space, I would have thought you were daft.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:54 pm

I have no problem talking/reading about GPS, but on something closer to the original topic of the thread . . .

Where does Lukashenko end up when this is all over?

How about Kadyrov?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Richard A » Wed Nov 09, 2022 6:52 pm

Good question, Mactep. I suspect the answer will have a lot to do with what "it's all over" actually looks like. An outright win for Russia, in the sense of the entire territory of Ukraine being absorbed into Russia, now seems unlikely. But so does a total defeat. I don't think the Western governments that count have the stomach for a long drawn-out war with this level of military support for Ukraine and consequent economic pain inflicted by Russia. Sooner rather than later, there will be pressure for a "settlement" that involves each side conceding something. Perhaps Russia keeping the bits of Donbas it still holds, plus Crimea, but not the bits that Ukraine has taken back. Zelensky will paint it as a repeat of Munich - but the fact is that in 1938, Hitler had not lost troops on anything like the scale that Putin has. (I'm not sure he'd lost any, but the German historians may correct me there.)

So, let's assume that when it's all over, Putin still has a reasonable amount of face, albeit not all of the victory he was hoping for. Lukashenko and Kadyrov should be OK. The morale among Russian conscripts will be somewhat higher when they're asked to help kick the crap out of protestors that don't have any serious hardware to fire back with. And that could also be part of the Ukraine peace deal - OK, in return for me letting Zelensky remain President of what's left of Ukraine, you DO NOT interfere in Belarus. And I'm sure suitable gratitude will be shown to Kadyrov for his support.

The interesting question is not, where does this leave Lukashenko and Kadyrov, but rather, where does it leave Krasnoselsky? At one point, it looked like Russian forces would sweep across the south of Ukraine, taking Odessa and pushing on west to connect with Transnistria. That hasn't happened, making Transnistria's bid to join Luhansk and Donetsk in reuniting with Russia a lot less viable.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lianachan » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:45 pm

Мастер wrote:Would I be correct to guess that a unit like that will be substantially more $$$$ or ££££ or €€€€ than the usual ones?

Yes.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:46 pm

So reports today are that the Russian military is withdrawing from Kherson, finding it impossible to supply.

This appears to be the last Russian-held territory west of the river.

From a few days ago, this article on the importance of Kherson to Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-63511626

"Kherson is a gateway to Crimea," says Marina Miron, researcher in defence studies at Kings College London. "Recapturing it would pave the way to reconquering Crimea, which Ukraine aims to do in this war."

I was under the impression that Ukraine retaking Crimea was only slightly more feasible than Ukraine taking Canada, but perhaps I'm mistaken on that.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:15 am

And then the Ukrainian government suspects it is a ruse, and states it will liberate territory based on intelligence reports, not based on Russian press conferences.

If it is a ruse, sounds to me like a pretty desperate one, I can't imagine Putin was happy to have a withdrawal from Kherson announced on Russian television, whether it is a ruse or not.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

PreviousNext

Return to Current Events and Politics