Rest in Peace: Queen Elizabeth II

Discussions of things currently in the news.

Re: Rest in Peace: Queen Elizabeth II

Postby Richard A » Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:13 pm

For me, Thursday came during a week-long international conference in which I was involved in the organisation as well as down to speak so I only return to Illuminati now. I am more of a monarchist than many on this list, but aside from that, respected Elizabeth II for, pretty much, the reasons that Arneb has set out.

But to answer Arneb's question, yes, I found that a little strange as well, but it was explained to me. This weekend has seen the proclamation of Charles III as the new King and the official flags fly at full mast to celebrate him. Apparently they go back down to half-mast tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see what kind of a King Charles III proves to be, but I was impressed by his speech yesterday evening. We'll see.

It wasn't me that posted the Englistan video on the other thread - I hadn't previously seen it - but yes, it's good.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Richard A » Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:12 pm

The way the transition from Elizabeth II to Charles III was marked at the conference I was at was also interesting. Every evening, there's a formal dinner in the Jesus College hall with various toasts and after dinner speeches - the ceremony of this is one of the hallmarks of the Symposium. (For an idea of who attends, you can have a look at the website: www.crimesymposium.org.). The first toast is always the Loyal Toast, which up to Wednesday night went like this: "Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth, Head of the Commonwealth and other members of the Royal Family." (The next one is to "Sovereigns and Heads of Government here represented" -which included Olaf Scholz, Joe Biden, Justin Trudeau, Jacinda Ardern - and also both Liz Truss and Emmanuel Macron. And also, since she heads a government, even if not (yet) a sovereign one, Nicola Sturgeon.). Thursday night there were no toasts at all (although the dinner still went ahead). Friday night a single toast: "The King", although it was agreed by the leaders of the various Commonwealth states that Charles would be the next Head when his mother passed away. But last night the beginning of the new era: "His Majesty King Charles III, Head of the Commonwealth and other members of the Royal Family."

For me, the overriding emotion is that it feels weird. I am one of the many who had never known any other monarch (and unlike Heid and Lianachan had no problem with that). Singing "God save our gracious King", when I eventually have to do it, will feel strange. And I do wonder what the future of the Commonwealth - albeit that the majority of its states have long been republics (Barbados is less of a big deal when you consider Cyprus, India, South Africa, Singapore - come to that, every Asian member and every African member.) But Elizabeth's handling of the transition of the Commonwealth from "what do we do to keep the now independent former colonies in the fold?" to the international organisation it has now become provided a strong strand of unity. And the fact is that the UK's relationship with Canada is different to that with the US. I wonder whether Charles will be able to carry that on. I guess we'll see.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lianachan » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:47 pm

I see, from twitter not from the BBC of course, that several people have been arrested for such serious offences as holding up a placard saying “abolish the monarchy”, saying they didn’t vote for King Charles III and calling Prince Andrew a peado. Freedom of speech alive and well.
A-nis bidh fios aig daoine nuair a tha mi a 'mionnachadh aig dhaibh.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tits and Nazis though.... Worth investigating

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:34 pm

I’m sitting in the garden waiting for the end of the queue to reach me. I drove past the Meadows earlier (about half a mile from St Giles) and that is where it was. It was moving surprisingly quickly and seemed well organised.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby tubeswell » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:45 am

So who was heckling Andy in Edinburgh? That you Heid?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

If you are seeing an apparent paradox, that means you are missing something.
tubeswell
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Location: 129th in-line to the Llama Throne (after the last purge)

Postby Heid the Ba » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:25 am

Not me, I couldn’t be arsed going down there.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Arneb » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:30 pm

Just watching a bit of the funeral service live om YT. Whatever the failings of England, the monarchy, the current royal family or Lizzy herself, you Brits certainly know how to hold a scheene Leich', as they say in Vienna. That lone piper fading off into the distance, wow.

And you're welcome to the little help from Krautland and the indispensable J.S.Bach.

Oh my, the pallbearers making a turn with the coffin and all the expensive jewellery balanced on top. Well done there
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:42 pm

It's after midnight here, so I have it on the television while I lounge on the sofa.

Oh wait, no, that's not Elizabeth's funeral - it's "The Great Escape".
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Richard A » Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:19 pm

Oh we got a lot of help from Krautland - not only JS Bach but also Beethoven and Mendelssohn. And apparently President Steinmeier was at the funeral. But despite (or maybe because of) the views of the likes of Lianachan and Heid, there was considerable input from Scotland. Not just the piper at the end of each service but also pipes and drums in each of the processions.

Yes, the turning with the coffin laden with jewellery was impressive - until you got the close-ups at the committal service and saw the orb and sceptre were actually tied down. During the first hymn, someone had to untie them. But yeah, we do do pageantry well.
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lianachan » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:04 pm

That was input from North Britain, not Scotland :)
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Richard A » Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:54 pm

Fair point!
Richard A
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby g-one » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:33 pm

Lianachan wrote:That was input from North Britain, not Scotland :)

But we all know where she chose to take her final breaths. :)
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Postby Lianachan » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:45 pm

Yeah, North Britain.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lianachan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:17 am

Apparently the bookies are now offering odds on who will be the next Queen of the United Kingdom.

I understand that the Princess of Wales and the Marchioness of Cholmondeley are level pegging.
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Heid the Ba » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:37 pm

I'm hopeful there won't be another one. Oh, and not the first time I've heard "Princess of Wales" and "pegging" in the same sentence.
Get it up ye.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Lianachan » Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:10 pm

Heid the Ba wrote:I'm hopeful there won't be another one. Oh, and not the first time I've heard "Princess of Wales" and "pegging" in the same sentence.

Well, the entire post was a joke :)
Lianachan
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby g-one » Sat Mar 16, 2024 8:18 pm

Lianachan wrote:I understand that the Princess of Wales and the Marchioness of Cholmondeley are level pegging.

Sounds like a chum-ley thing to do.
striving to recognize the penultimate straw
g-one
Illuminatus
Illuminatus

Previous

Return to Current Events and Politics