Trivia

All the game threads. (It's only teenage wasteland.)

Postby MM_Dandy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:00 am

According to Google one Flemish ell is equal to 27 inches. But is that per hour, day...fortnight?
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Мастер » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:03 am

It would be one ell per the number of years equal to the 2.25 times the recession rate of St. Anthony's Falls, measured in feet per year.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby KLA2 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:56 am

MM_Dandy wrote:According to Google one Flemish ell is equal to 27 inches. But is that per hour, day...fortnight?

About 10,018.29 microcenturies.

Glad you asked.

http://www.galactic-guide.com/articles/2R137.html
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Ok, then, that's about 27 inches per year, which is not the correct answer.

In 1869, an attempt to tunnel under the falls ended with a catastrophic collapse and nearly destroyed the falls. The situation was remedied with a major engineering effort which drastically changed the face of the falls.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Мастер » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:11 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:Ok, then, that's about 27 inches per year, which is not the correct answer.

In 1869, an attempt to tunnel under the falls ended with a catastrophic collapse and nearly destroyed the falls. The situation was remedied with a major engineering effort which drastically changed the face of the falls.

In that case, I would say they recede more in some years than in others :mrgreen:
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby MM_Dandy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:42 pm

That was certainly the case in the mid-1800's, but the rate has been fairly constant since the engineering project.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby MM_Dandy » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:19 pm

No guesses? One more hint, then: The solution implemented was the installation of a wooden "apron", which later soon replaced with concrete.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby MM_Dandy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:16 pm

Ah, too bad. I really thought the last few posts would give it away. The 'apron' basically made the falls into a spillway. They are in the same place now as they were then. In fact, even had there been no disaster, without the apron, the falls probably would be just a rapids today, as they would have receded to the point were the limestone shelf ends.

Thousands of years ago, the falls were much further downriver, past the confluence of today's Minnesota River. At the end of the last ice age, a large inland sea covered parts of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, North Dakota, Minnesota, and South Dakota. At some point, it breached what is called the Big Stone Moraine on the Minnesota/South Dakota border, and gave rise to what is called River Warren. The Warren cut out the valley that the much smaller Minnesota Rivers runs through today. Near present-day Minneapolis, the Warren was joined by the Mississippi, which itself is thought to have been somewhat larger than modern times due to glacial runoff. From there, the Warren proceeded northeasterly until reaching what is now downtown St.Paul and spilling over the massive Warren River Falls.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby MM_Dandy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:26 pm

NBA trivia: what team drafted Kobe Bryant in 1996?

Bonus trivia: what player was drafted 1st in that draft?
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby KLA2 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:48 am

MM_Dandy wrote:Ah, too bad. I really thought the last few posts would give it away. The 'apron' basically made the falls into a spillway. They are in the same place now as they were then. In fact, even had there been no disaster, without the apron, the falls probably would be just a rapids today, as they would have receded to the point were the limestone shelf ends.

Thousands of years ago, the falls were much further downriver, past the confluence of today's Minnesota River. At the end of the last ice age, a large inland sea covered parts of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, North Dakota, Minnesota, and South Dakota. At some point, it breached what is called the Big Stone Moraine on the Minnesota/South Dakota border, and gave rise to what is called River Warren. The Warren cut out the valley that the much smaller Minnesota Rivers runs through today. Near present-day Minneapolis, the Warren was joined by the Mississippi, which itself is thought to have been somewhat larger than modern times due to glacial runoff. From there, the Warren proceeded northeasterly until reaching what is now downtown St.Paul and spilling over the massive Warren River Falls.

I was just about to say that. Yeah. Me and my wife ... Morgan Fairchild, we talk about that all the time. After sex. Yeah. :P
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:15 pm

KLA2 wrote:I was just about to say that. Yeah. Me and my wife ... Morgan Fairchild, we talk about that all the time. After sex. Yeah. :P

Now there's a bit of trivia I didn't know. It also conjures imagery of Morgan Fairchild and a robot having sex. Very disturbing.

As of the end of the 2010-2011 season, there were still 9 players (including Bryant) from the '96 draft on active player rosters in the NBA; all but one (Steve Nash) with playoff teams. Even though Nash and Derek Fisher currently play for the teams that drafted them, none of these nine have spent their entire careers with their respective draft teams.
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Lance » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:23 pm

MM_Dandy wrote:Now there's a bit of trivia I didn't know. It also conjures imagery of Morgan Fairchild and a robot having sex. Very disturbing.

Most women have sex with robots at least once in a while.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby KLA2 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:57 am

R. Dangerfield on/ My wife told me she wanted to probed long and hard. Then she sent a RFP to NASA! No respect! /off
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby KLA2 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:38 am

The Morgan Fairchild bit was from a recurring skit on Saturday Night Live by Jon Lovitz in the late 80's portraying a chronic (and transparent) liar.

Sorry for derailing this thread. (An action almost unprecedented in the history of this board.) :oops:

OK, folks. Back to MM_Dandy's question:

NBA trivia: what team drafted Kobe Bryant in 1996?

Bonus trivia: what player was drafted 1st in that draft?
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby MM_Dandy » Thu May 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Seeing as there haven't even been any guesses so far, I'll go ahead and post the answers, and relinquish the torch to whomever wishes to take it.

[spoiler]Kobe Bryant was drafted 13th by the Charlotte (now New Orleans) Hornets. Alan Iverson was picked 1st overall by the Philadelphia 76ers.[/spoiler]
MM_Dandy
King of Obscurity

Postby Arneb » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:16 pm

The richest 1200 people in the world own 3 % of the world's wealth.

So does the poorest half of the world's population.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:14 pm

In Hong Kong, holders of Octopus cards may make a free transit (within thirty minutes) between Tsim Sha Tsui and East Tsim Sha Tsui stations, but users of single-journey tickets must purchase two.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Arneb » Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:36 pm

In snooker, the highest possible break in normal play is 147 (15 pairs of red and black balls, plus yellow, green, brown, blue, pink, and finally, black.

I saw one player actually do it.
Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Arneb
German Medical Dude
God of All Things IT

Postby Мастер » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:47 am

The rest of the Circle Line should open in October.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Lance » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:20 pm

Katy Perry's cat's name is Kitty Purry.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby KLA2 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:34 am

Lance appreciates a cute, fuzzy pussy. As do I. :wink:
-Friedrich Nietzsche
KLA2
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Мастер » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:44 am

This used to be a trivia Q/A thread :P

The Kremlin is a huge walled compouned in downtown Moscow. It is so big, you can be inside it, and be completely unaware that you are in an enclosed area.

There once was another, nearby, walled compound, almost as big as the Kremlin. The walls have almost completely been destroyed, but the mayor of Moscow has recently announced plans to have then rebuilt.

What is the (inappropriate) name of this other walled compound?
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Heid the Ba » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:57 am

Are these the C16th city walls that Ivan the Terrible put up? I don't know the name of them tough.
Heid the Ba
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Tree hugging, veggie, sandal wearing, pinko Euroweasel
Mr. Sexy Ass

Postby Мастер » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Heid the Ba' wrote:Are these the C16th city walls that Ivan the Terrible put up? I don't know the name of them tough.

They were indeed.

The name is something of a mystery. It means something in modern Russian, that makes no sense at all. There are a couple of theories about the origin of the name.

It would be quite alright to post an English translation of the name. Many cities around the world have a district with a similar name, although it is usually much more appropriate.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Мастер » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:08 pm

In modern Russian, the name of this part of town sounds like it was named after an ethic group, but it almost certainly was not.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

PreviousNext

Return to Baba O'Riley