Rosetta@home

The Pit of Doom: Flame Wars, Fights and Schoolyard Bullying.
Warning: Contents may burn your eyes!

Rosetta@home

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:08 am

Decoding the human genome may be the greatest scientific achievement of this century. But before we can put that knowledge to work, scientists need to take the research a step further — they need to understand the proteins that are built from our DNA.

The goal of Rosetta@home is to determine the shape and function of as many proteins as possible, and to make this information available to researchers worldwide at no cost.

Rosetta researchers are relying on a technique known as distributed computing, which pools the resources of idle computers everywhere. Put together hundreds or thousands of home computers, and all of a sudden a scientist has what amounts to a super computer to solve complex problems.

The knowledge that is generated and shared through this project has the potential to fast-forward efforts to cure such diseases as malaria, cancer, HIV and Alzheimer’s

So stop being a SETI@Home, head-in-the-sand, ignorant ass hole and download the Rosetta@home software.

Afterall, Enrico Fermi was a hell of a lot smarter than you, dumbass. So stop dreaming of finding a vulcan to mate with and do something useful with your time and life on Earth.

Edited to linkify links. -Lance
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Re: Rosetta@home

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:20 am

Bill_Thompson wrote:So stop being a SETI@Home, head-in-the-sand, ignorant ass hole...

Gone over to the dark side?

Bill_Thompson wrote:Afterall, Enrico Fermi was a hell of a lot smarter than you, dumbass.

Can you proof that?

Bill_Thompson wrote:So stop dreaming of finding a vulcan to mate with and do something useful with your time and life on Earth.

Proselytising?

Bill has started a cult.

Enrico Fermi (PBUH) is the Prophet, and Bill his apostle.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Cyndi » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:06 am

Halcyon Dayz wrote:
Bill has started a cult.

:glp-1rof1:
~Cyndi
- aka the sometimes 'Silent Observer' :glp-hiding:
:glp-s987: It's not morning until I have my coffee!
Cyndi
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:20 am

Halcyon Dayz wrote:Bill has started a cult.

:lol:
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:46 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:So stop being a SETI@Home, head-in-the-sand, ignorant ass hole and download the Rosetta@home software.

Afterall, Enrico Fermi was a hell of a lot smarter than you, dumbass. So stop dreaming of finding a vulcan to mate with and do something useful with your time and life on Earth.

Bill;
How can you make a post like that and then call others ignorant? You either don't understand the meaning of the word "ignorant", "irony", or both.

And by the way, Rosetta@home is a BOINC project. BOINC is a technology that was developed by the SETI@Home folks, so it would not even exist had it not been for the success of SETI@Home.

Are you really such an idiot, or do you just play one on the internet?

I see that even Cyndi is laughing at you in public now. Your own flesh-and-blood cousin. You really need to consider how low you've gone. You're not funny anymore.
Last edited by Lance on Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:48 pm

Lance wrote:Are you really such an idiot, or do you just play one on the internet?

Oo! Oo! Can I answer that one? Pleeeease? I'll be good!
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:02 pm

Halcyon Dayz wrote:Bill has started a cult.

It is more like you are in the Cult of Carl. Study the dark history of the popular leader who started the trend by his book The Cosmos.

Or better yet, ask any academic whom they have more respect for: Segan or Fermi.

It doesn't matter if it is part of one project, Lance, Set@home sucks up too much of its resources. You will do better being an administrator than participating in treating this forum as a means for your own enjoyment. It is no fun if you only allow those who tow your line to participate and you ban anyone who disagrees with your delusions.

And notice the glee you express in undercutting someones statements with rude personal attacks. You are not a thinking man.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:11 pm

Halcyon Dayz wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:So stop being a SETI@Home, head-in-the-sand, ignorant ass hole...

Gone over to the dark side?

Bill_Thompson wrote:Afterall, Enrico Fermi was a hell of a lot smarter than you, dumbass.

Can you proof that?

Obviously I was generalising. I have no idea how smart you are. But you just have to go to the Nobel Prise website and read the biography of Enrico Fermi to get the idea that he is most likely smarter than almost everyone alive today.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:34 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:It is no fun if you only allow those who tow your line to participate and you ban anyone who disagrees with your delusions.

If I were to ever ban you it would be for being as asshole, not for being stupid.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:24 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:And notice the glee you express in undercutting someones statements with rude personal attacks. You are not a thinking man.

So stop being a SETI@Home, head-in-the-sand, ignorant ass hole...

Afterall, Enrico Fermi was a hell of a lot smarter than you, dumbass.

Look down, your hypocrisy is showing. You may want to zip that...
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:18 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:And notice the glee you express in undercutting someones statements with rude personal attacks. You are not a thinking man.

Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that it's only okay when you do it.

But I think you are confused, anyway. Comparing you to an idiot is not an attack on you. It is an attack on idiots.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby I Am He » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:35 pm

What little creditability you had left, just went right down the drain with that remark, Bill. (not that you had much to begin with) Your sick Hippy Crusades are getting to be to much also. It's one thing to state your views but it's another thing to try and shove them down other peoples throats.

You want me to bow down and worship someone just because you say so. Have you lost your fucking mind, you idiot??

Now go back and put your head back up your ass where it belongs.
ho·me·o·path
n.
An effect produced by the successive dilution of intelligence to non-existent levels; can cause an unqualified high school drop out to consider themselves better qualified than actual doctors. See also: whack job
I Am He
Paid Debunker
Paid Debunker

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:43 pm

I Am He wrote:Now go back and put your head back up your ass where it belongs.

Wait, I'm confused...

When did Bill Thompson take his head out of his ass?
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:12 pm

I have not downloaded the software but it looks like you can choose which program you want the BONIC to run. The screen shots look like it focuses on the Rosetta program.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:17 pm

I Am He wrote:What little creditability you had left, just went right down the drain with that remark, Bill. (not that you had much to begin with) Your sick Hippy Crusades are getting to be to much also. It's one thing to state your views but it's another thing to try and shove them down other peoples throats.

You want me to bow down and worship someone just because you say so. Have you lost your fucking mind, you idiot??

Now go back and put your head back up your ass where it belongs.

Let's see. Here are two things. On one hand we have cure cancer. On the other hand we have finding a distant culture the likelihood of us ever understanding or appreciating is infinitesimal. Hummm, I can see why you would choose the later.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:18 pm

Lonewulf wrote:Wait, I'm confused...

When did Bill Thompson take his head out of his ass?

Don't worry, it goes both ways quite often.

Lance, I think you broke the Thompson toy, any way of fixing him?
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:18 pm

Hell, I really don't care. You lost my interest when you outright called everyone a dumbass for not using it. You wouldn't make a very good salesman, that's for sure.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:20 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:Let's see. Here are two things. On one hand we have cure cancer. On the other hand we have finding a distant culture the likelihood of us ever understanding or appreciating is infinitesimal. Hummm, I can see why you would choose the later.

Should we cut out space exploration entirely, then? After all, a lot of the possibilities for future space advancement is pretty far off... think about how much money we could save.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:22 pm

Lonewulf wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:Let's see. Here are two things. On one hand we have cure cancer. On the other hand we have finding a distant culture the likelihood of us ever understanding or appreciating is infinitesimal. Hummm, I can see why you would choose the later.

Should we cut out space exploration entirely, then? After all, a lot of the possibilities for future space advancement is pretty far off... think about how much money we could save.

That is night and day -- the ol' apples and oranges comparison.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:22 pm

Stupid, insipid attempt at over-simplification noted.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lonewulf » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:That is night and day -- the ol' apples and oranges comparison.

Wow, you know what a logical fallacy is?

Then why do you always use them?
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Bill_Thompson » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:34 pm

Lonewulf wrote:
Bill_Thompson wrote:That is night and day -- the ol' apples and oranges comparison.

Wow, you know what a logical fallacy is?

Then why do you always use them?

I do not think so. I am all for space exploration and I think the new space telescopes they will build will be very cool.

Intelligent radio signals from space? Yeah, right! It might be fun but there are better things to pour our energies into. As I said
Let's see. Here are two things. On one hand we have cure cancer. On the other hand we have finding a distant culture the likelihood of us ever understanding or appreciating is infinitesimal. Hummm, I can see why you would choose the later.
Disagreeing or attacking this view without elaboration is something I don't get. Look at the BOINC percentages. Most of it goes to SETI@HOME. It seems disproportionate compared to the Rosetta percentage. I am not sure if a user can choose which program he wants after downloading the overall project but it sure looks like he can from the screen shots.

Besides, if it wasn't for Marconi, how long would it have taken us to invent the radio? It seems like a huge leap in our evolution. I mean, how many people do you know can build a radio from scratch? Now given that with Fermi's Paradox, the interest in SETI kind of plummets for some people (I don't know how many).

I think discovering any life would be a huge advantage to us. I think that life includes what life has been on Earth for most of its existence. It has for the vast majority of its time been microbial.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:44 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:
Lonewulf wrote:Why do you always use [logical fallacies]?

I do not think so.

THEN Bill_Thompson wrote:Fermi's Paradox

Which has been proved to be a logical fallacy.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby teri tait » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:48 pm

Marconi did not invent the radio, Nikola Tesla did. There was a lawsuit over this distinction that settled in favor of Nikola Tesla around 1943, several months after his death.
In my hands I hold a candle whose flame is small to see, And if I give but one light to you my life is filled for me.
But...In your hands you hold a torch for many eyes to see, So hold it high that they may light their candlewicks from thee.
By Faye

Nikola Tesla = Image
teri tait
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Next

Return to Infuriati (The Enraged Ones)