Britney Spears

The Pit of Doom: Flame Wars, Fights and Schoolyard Bullying.
Warning: Contents may burn your eyes!

Britney Spears

Postby Bill_Thompson » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:49 pm

Kids lucky enough to go to High School in Germantown, Tennessee in the 70's and the 80's were surrounded by tall blonde southern belles and grew up to never understand the popularity of Britney Spears.

For me, I always knew I just had to wait until she got some preggy fat on her for people to wake up and see that she really has no talent.

It looks like that time has come:
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:48 pm

I find it hard to disagree with Thompson on this one.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Superluminal » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:10 am

Plus her intellect seems to be on a par with the quintessential blond stereotype.
I'm not a scientist, but I play one on the internet.
http://www.rrac.org
Superluminal
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:25 am

Be cute and breed?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:23 am

She's quite a good singer and dancer, objectively speaking. But then again, she's a celebrity, so of course, you should all feel really good about yourselves by taking her down a peg. :roll:
"Bible's broken. Contradictions, false logics. Doesn't make sense." -River
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Enzo » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:10 am

I never considered what she does dancing, to me it is cheerleading steps. Not that cheerleading doesn't require work, practice, athletic ability etc. It just isn't dancing to me.

She's cute, she's popular with her audience, she's a success. Whether us older demographics appreciate her is irrelevant to her organization. She is the "talent," and her job is to stand out there, look good and present the entertainment. She doesn't have to be smart or a sharp business person, any more than the jockey has to be the horse breeder.

And if she is neither Pavaroti or Barishnikov (sp?), no big deal. There is a market for beef Wellington and for hamburgers - I like them both. I wish even a few of the "creative geniuses" I work with every day had as much going on as she.

At the end of the day, no matter how vapid or juvenile her show persona might be, I think she cares about the show a lot.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby Lonewulf » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:32 am

SciFi Chick wrote:She's quite a good singer and dancer, objectively speaking.

Since when was "good" a matter of objectivity when it came to "art"?

I don't recall ever being too impressed with the dance steps, and from her singing... well, I'm not sure. I've heard that she lip-syncs, then I hear that she doesn't. It doesn't take a lot of talent to lip-sync. Then again, at the same time, I'm not entirely sure the information on her lip-syncing is entirely accurate, which is where I stick with "I'm not sure".

Either way, I've never been impressed with her singing either.

But then again, she's a celebrity, so of course, you should all feel really good about yourselves by taking her down a peg. :roll:

So it's not possible for, say, someone to be of the opinion that Britney doesn't really have talent? Or, because it would directly disagree with your opinion, they must have some ulterior motive (I.E., attacking her because she's a celebrity)?

Would you make the conclusion, then, that I would attack any celebrity without care for who they are? Because I could give many examples of where that isn't the case...
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby SciFi Chick » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:57 am

Lonewulf wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:She's quite a good singer and dancer, objectively speaking.

Since when was "good" a matter of objectivity when it came to "art"?

For many, many years. There is such a thing as skill. This only makes it clear that you haven't studied art. What is subjective is whether people like it. There are most definitely objective qualities that can be analyzed when it comes to art.

Carrying a tune for example, style for example, dance steps for example.

I don't recall ever being too impressed with the dance steps, and from her singing... well, I'm not sure. I've heard that she lip-syncs, then I hear that she doesn't. It doesn't take a lot of talent to lip-sync. Then again, at the same time, I'm not entirely sure the information on her lip-syncing is entirely accurate, which is where I stick with "I'm not sure".

Either way, I've never been impressed with her singing either.

You certainly have a right to your opinion, but that does not mean she has no talent. As a trained singer, I can tell you that she is a good singer. Whether she makes interesting choices in her music is another story. Enzo described my feelings on the subject quite nicely.

But then again, she's a celebrity, so of course, you should all feel really good about yourselves by taking her down a peg. :roll:

So it's not possible for, say, someone to be of the opinion that Britney doesn't really have talent? Or, because it would directly disagree with your opinion, they must have some ulterior motive (I.E., attacking her because she's a celebrity)?

Would you make the conclusion, then, that I would attack any celebrity without care for who they are? Because I could give many examples of where that isn't the case...

My point was simply that people generally feel far too comfortable taking shots at a celebrity from the comfort of their home, and I think it's pretty fucking rude to say:

For me, I always knew I just had to wait until she got some preggy fat on her for people to wake up and see that she really has no talent.

And your response of:

Lonewulf wrote:I find it hard to disagree with Thompson on this one.

Since when does gaining weight have jackshit to do with talent?
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Lonewulf » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:45 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:My point was simply that people generally feel far too comfortable taking shots at a celebrity from the comfort of their home, and I think it's pretty fucking rude to say:

And your response of:

Lonewulf wrote:I find it hard to disagree with Thompson on this one.

Since when does gaining weight have jackshit to do with talent?

Okay, good points overall.

But I'm of the opinion that many people like Spears because of her physical image and her overt sexual themes moreso than the actual music. Whether that is the truth or not, it is striking how almost all of the most popular bands happen to have women showing off as much of their body as they can legally get away with.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Thu Apr 27, 2006 5:53 pm

Lonewulf wrote:...almost all of the most popular bands happen to have women showing off as much of their body as they can legally get away with.

Oh, I don't know about that...

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Lonewulf » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:06 pm

Lance wrote:
Lonewulf wrote:...almost all of the most popular bands happen to have women showing off as much of their body as they can legally get away with.

Okay, I see albums with men in it (and the topic was not about men stripping for the camera)... and then I see "Shakira".

Of two of the ten albums, there is a prominent female figure. One is meant to be more comical, showing a flamboyant fat chick, and another is meant to make men grow boners. The "flavor text" of the album (Shakira) is "Oral Sensation Vol. 2"

So, perhaps I need to revamp my statement to, "Most of the albums featuring young women have various modes of undress and sexual references".
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:13 am

Lonewulf wrote:
Lance wrote:

Okay, I see albums with men in it (and the topic was not about men stripping for the camera)... and then I see "Shakira".

Of two of the ten albums, there is a prominent female figure. One is meant to be more comical, showing a flamboyant fat chick, and another is meant to make men grow boners. The "flavor text" of the album (Shakira) is "Oral Sensation Vol. 2"

So, perhaps I need to revamp my statement to, "Most of the albums featuring young women have various modes of undress and sexual references".

Eventually, Britney will fade from the scene as she ages past her target demographic (she's almost 25 and I believe her target demographic is 17 to 35).

She'll do a Debbie Gibson eventually (remember her?).
Not where I used to be...no longer a Secret Squirrel
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Enzo » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:13 am

They all fade. The Beatles. There were four of them, and they were very popular. I hear it was Paul McCartney's band before Wings.

Sure they market with sex, nothing new. Even if it is juvey sex in the case of Brit. But there are plenty of wannabe acts doing the same thing and not making it. For that matter you can watch the current video from Pink to see one artist's take on them. (Stupid girl) (That's the song, I don't mean Pink is stupid)(She might be, but that wasn't the point)(she's not though)

One thing I see in the acts I work with is that no matter how heinous the crap is they put out, they are dead serious about it. they put in a ton of effort and sweat the details as well as the whole deal. Rap music curdles my stomach, but when I work with a rap act, they are not just bouncing around full of themselves, they are trying their best to put out a good - in their view - product.

Brittney works hard to produce a quality show - from her point of view. SOme 14 year old boys might, but most of her fans are not buying the CD for the sexy cover picture, other than as a style guide.
Enzo
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Chortling with glee!

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:51 am

I just love Pink. She cracks me up. This reminds me that I need to go and check out her latest video. :D
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Lonewulf » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:31 pm

Bah! Britney Spears is the devil and would corrupt the minds of children, if the minds of children didn't come pre-corrupted already! She's evil! EEEVIL! Just look at that blond hair and that cute smirk! EVIL! Like kids! And baby seals! BAH!
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:17 pm

Pink would make a good IRUer...

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:39 pm

Oh yeah! I like how she completely dissed Jessica Simpson, who I hate with a fiery passion. :twisted:

Thanks for sharing the video Lance. :D
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Lonewulf » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:33 pm

I don't know anything about Jessica Simpson, so I can't say whether I like or don't like her. But I do like how she does have a sense of humor, and likes to make fun of herself, by intentionally acting stupid for the sake of humor.

I should dig up that joke video that makes fun of "Chicken of the Sea" brand Tuna.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby tofu » Mon May 01, 2006 2:14 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:She's quite a good singer

I'm not sure what you mean. Now admittedly I've never bought any of her CDs or payed much attention to her, but it seems that somewhere along the way I downloaded two of her mp3s (it's not illegal, I'm an undocumented music consumer) and I'm listening to them very closely now, and I'm not hearing a whole lot of talent.

The first mp3 I have is, _I'm a Slave For You_. The entire song she's in the same key! It's a catchy tune I guess, but it doesn't seem very challenging technically.

The other one is _Toxic_. It's a little better, but I notice that when she sings "too high, can't come down" she has to go into a falsetto. She doesn't seem to have the range for it. And on "I'm addicted to you.." she's not really singing. She's just yelling.

Are my impressions of these songs off base, or are these two atypical?

I actually really like almost any music with female vocals but I don't think that Britney Spears is all that great. Not based on what I've seen so far. If she has better work then please point me to it.
Last edited by tofu on Fri May 05, 2006 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tofu
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby SciFi Chick » Mon May 01, 2006 2:25 pm

Britney Spears showed real talent on Star Search as well as the Mickey Mouse club.

The two songs you pointed to are an attempt at experimental pop. Most pop music is not designed to require a lot technically, so yes, I would say those examples are atypical. It's her attempt to follow in Madonna's footsteps.

Also, I'm not saying she's the best stylist ever to hit town, but the habit of equating prepackaged singers with their ability or lack thereof is mistaken in my opinion.
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Bill_Thompson » Wed May 03, 2006 11:02 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:She's quite a good singer and dancer, objectively speaking. But then again, she's a celebrity, so of course, you should all feel really good about yourselves by taking her down a peg. :roll:

compared to a piece of lint?

She was booed off stage in Rock In Rio because whe was neither a good singer nor a good dancer. I consider Brazilians to be the best judges of what a good singer and a good dancer would be and she failed miserably.

SciFi Chick wrote:Britney Spears showed real talent on Star Search as well as the Mickey Mouse club.

:roll: Pshaw! "OMG. Like, did she? Like, ok. Well, like those are, like, totally experts and know talent when they see it, ya-know!"
Last edited by Bill_Thompson on Wed May 03, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed May 03, 2006 11:07 pm

I see. So, because you believe something, that makes it a fact? :roll:
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Bill_Thompson » Wed May 03, 2006 11:09 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:I see. So, because you believe something, that makes it a fact? :roll:

I do not think you will find people in the recording industry who think Britney has any talent. And I include Britney in that group too. She has repeatedly expressed awe at other singers and said she is not up to their level.

Your comment doesn't mean anything by the way. I mean, I could throw that back at you: because you believe something, that makes it a fact?
Last edited by Bill_Thompson on Wed May 03, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you are looking for information about William M. "Bill" Thompson, please see here: Notice to people seeking info on Members or Former Members.
Bill_Thompson
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lonewulf » Wed May 03, 2006 11:10 pm

So, being humble and showing respect to other singers means you have no talent?

Humility bad, check. Thanks for the life lessons, Thompson.
Writing.com Account

Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby SciFi Chick » Wed May 03, 2006 11:11 pm

Bill_Thompson wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:I see. So, because you believe something, that makes it a fact? :roll:

I do not think you will find people in the recording industry who think Britney has any talent. And I include Britney in that group too. She has repeatedly expressed awe at other singers and said she is not up to their level.

Would you care to provide some evidence of these assertions? I have heard her sing, and she can sing. She's also pretty good at dancing.

She has quite a few fans. Why can't you be content saying you don't care for her music? Why do you have to insult her?
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Next

Return to Infuriati (The Enraged Ones)