SciFi Chick

The Pit of Doom: Flame Wars, Fights and Schoolyard Bullying.
Warning: Contents may burn your eyes!

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Fri May 12, 2006 3:19 am

I'm afraid I didn't like the Amber books very much.

Lots of action and plot, and play with genre clichés
But no subtext.
Well crafted work, but rather pointless.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby Doe, John » Fri May 12, 2006 3:21 am

Lonewulf wrote:Zelazny was very interested in those kinds of tales, but he loves to put his own "spin" on them. Like in the short story he wrote about Merlin and Mordrid getting together in modern times. Neither was a "nice guy" at all.

I believe you are referring to "The Last Defender of Camelot". If so then that was Lancelot and either Nimue or Morganna La Fay fighting against Merlin. A most excellent story.
Doe, John
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri May 12, 2006 3:21 am

Halcyon Dayz wrote:I'm afraid I didn't like the Amber books very much.

Lots of action and plot, and play with genre clichés
But no subtext.
Well crafted work, but rather pointless.

Thanks for the review. I'm actually rather fond of playing with genre clichés, so that actually increases my interest, but then, I'm a writer, so I read for more than one goal.

I'll have to see if I agree with you about the pointless angle. :D

Then again, I just love action films, and oftentimes you can't get more pointless than they are. :lol:
"Bible's broken. Contradictions, false logics. Doesn't make sense." -River
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Lonewulf » Fri May 12, 2006 3:27 am

Doe, John wrote:
Lonewulf wrote:Zelazny was very interested in those kinds of tales, but he loves to put his own "spin" on them. Like in the short story he wrote about Merlin and Mordrid getting together in modern times. Neither was a "nice guy" at all.

I believe you are referring to "The Last Defender of Camelot". If so then that was Lancelot and either Nimue or Morganna La Fay fighting against Merlin. A most excellent story.

Uh, maybe. There were a ton of short stories in that book, I probably got them mixed up.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby nicozine » Fri May 12, 2006 2:14 pm

Lord of Light is Zelazny's best, IMHO. The Amber books are indeed a kind of old-style SF cliche series, but then, they're a product of their time, and should be enjoyed as such.

I recommend anything from LeGuin, particularly her Hainish novels and the Earthsea series.

All in all, I'd rather discuss books than personalities of board members.
nicozine
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Lonewulf » Fri May 12, 2006 3:05 pm

well, it was very well-done, even for the old "cliche" books.

A cliche isn't bad if it's handled correctly, and done with style.

Take "Sin City"; that was the ultimate cliche in comic-book action and Film Noir... yet it was well done and interesting.
Writing.com Account

When God gives you lemons, you FIND A NEW GOD

Gazing into the Eye of the Universe
Lonewulf
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby nicozine » Fri May 12, 2006 3:14 pm

Lonewulf wrote:well, it was very well-done, even for the old "cliche" books.

A cliche isn't bad if it's handled correctly, and done with style.

Agreed. But I'm not sure that the Amber series would have been considered a cliche at the time it was written. I read them a long time ago and didn't think they were cliches at all. Now, when I reread them, I can see it. I think they only seem like cliches because we've seen so much stuff that has copied the style in the intervening years and because some of it has become dated.
nicozine
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Swamp Pixie » Fri May 12, 2006 3:26 pm

SciFi Chick wrote:As for checking out fantasy, I recommend Melanie Rawn. I'm reading a trilogy by her that, ironically, involves dragons. :lol:

Melanie Rawn is AWESOME... there are 2 trilogies in that series.... Keep going, SFC... you'll like them... though I wish she would write more... I want to know what happens next. It's like Frank Herbert, Gods rest his soul...
I laugh in the face of death...maybe not laugh more like a snicker...a quiet snicker, and I wouldn't do it directly in death's face so, it's more like a quiet snicker behind death's back.
Swamp Pixie
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Monique » Fri May 12, 2006 3:37 pm

I do not know scifi chick, she seem very nice.

My friend wander say he know her. He say she is very special woman. I believe.
Monique
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri May 12, 2006 4:15 pm

Monique wrote:I do not know scifi chick, she seem very nice.

My friend wander say he know her. He say she is very special woman. I believe.

I am very nice Monique. Don't worry. :D
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Doe, John » Fri May 12, 2006 4:41 pm

nicozine wrote: The Amber books are indeed a kind of old-style SF cliche series, but then, they're a product of their time, and should be enjoyed as such.

Yeah, especially when you come across the references to smoking cigarettes. It's amazing how pervasive that habit was 40 years ago compared to the current public opinion.

nicozine wrote:I recommend anything from LeGuin, particularly her Hainish novels and the Earthsea series.

All in all, I'd rather discuss books than personalities of board members.

Agreed on both points. :D
Doe, John
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby pumpkinpie » Fri May 12, 2006 5:15 pm

I'm a newbie here at IRU, so I know SFC through BABB and interactions on FWIS. There are many of well-spoken, thoughtful, and insightful women there, and she is at the top of the list!
pumpkinpie
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby SciFi Chick » Fri May 12, 2006 5:35 pm

pumpkinpie wrote:I'm a newbie here at IRU, so I know SFC through BABB and interactions on FWIS. There are many of well-spoken, thoughtful, and insightful women there, and she is at the top of the list!

Wow. Thanks pumpkinpie. I really value your opinion, so I am incredibly honored by what you wrote.
SciFi Chick
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Bill EE » Fri May 12, 2006 7:23 pm

Sci wrote:
I've never even heard of The Lost Regiment Series. Who's the author?

The author is William Forstchen - a professor of history and Civil War expert. The series is better than most - a Civil War regiment get transfered to a another planet.

A lot of the alternate history stuff is only a little better than the SNL sketch - "What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?" - but genre is rich for the right writers.
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Мастер » Fri May 12, 2006 7:59 pm

Bill EE wrote:A lot of the alternate history stuff is only a little better than the SNL sketch - "What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?" - but genre is rich for the right writers.

Don't you go knocking Spartacus now.
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby Doe, John » Fri May 12, 2006 9:30 pm

Bill EE wrote:Sci wrote:
I've never even heard of The Lost Regiment Series. Who's the author?

The author is William Forstchen - a professor of history and Civil War expert. The series is better than most - a Civil War regiment get transfered to a another planet.

A lot of the alternate history stuff is only a little better than the SNL sketch - "What if Spartacus had a Piper Cub?" - but genre is rich for the right writers.

If you like the alternate history stuff you can't get much better than Harry Turtledove or S. M. Stirling. Two really good titles, one from each respectively, "The Land Between the Rivers" and "Peshawar Lancers"
Doe, John
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Bill EE » Fri May 12, 2006 9:45 pm

Turtledove and Stirling are excellent authors from what little I have read. I was not trying to limit the authors of that genre.

KOS - not knocking Spartacus at all (I did miss that thread though). I just remember that old SNL "What if?" sketches about alternative history like:
1) What if Eleanor Roosevelt could fly? (she leads the bomber of the 8th Air Force)
2) What if Superman landed in Germany as a baby? - ("I am not a jew, my mother believed in being clean.")
3) What if Napoleon had a fully loaded B-52.
"Mars" is also a chocolate bar found on Earth. These are highly concentrated sources of carbohydrates, which are of vital importance to many carbon based life forms. Mars bars are slightly rippled with a flat underside. They are sometimes used in English courtship rituals in which the female performs various allegorical oral acts with the chocolate bar, which is donated by the male as part payment for this spectacle.
Bill EE
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Мастер » Sat May 13, 2006 4:12 am

Bill EE wrote:KOS - not knocking Spartacus at all (I did miss that thread though).

I know - just a little shameless trolling :mrgreen:
They call me Mr Celsius!
Мастер
Злой Мудак
Mauerspecht

Postby lonegunman » Sun May 21, 2006 12:48 pm

Swamp Pixie wrote:
SciFi Chick wrote:As for checking out fantasy, I recommend Melanie Rawn. I'm reading a trilogy by her that, ironically, involves dragons. :lol:

Melanie Rawn is AWESOME... there are 2 trilogies in that series.... Keep going, SFC... you'll like them... though I wish she would write more... I want to know what happens next. It's like Frank Herbert, Gods rest his soul...

Ah Yes! I love Dune. But Zelazny's Lord of Light was one I often wished he had done a prequel with. :D
J Edgar Hoover...that cross dressing twirp. He did it. The lone Gunmen
lonegunman
NWOobie
NWOobie

Postby Doe, John » Mon May 22, 2006 4:08 am

lonegunman wrote:
Swamp Pixie wrote:

Ah Yes! I love Dune. But Zelazny's Lord of Light was one I often wished he had done a prequel with. :D

I know what you mean, but I feel that in a case like this trying to write a story which would emcompass all the backstory hinted at in the book would have wound up a disappointment.
teri tait wrote:Well that's just typical, an antichrist named "John Doe". The only thing worse would be "Joe Sixpack"
Doe, John
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby nicozine » Mon May 22, 2006 1:50 pm

I think Zelasny's bests was Jack of Shadows. For some reason I just love that one. Any book in which the main character's personal palace is called "High Dudgeon" has an edge to begin with. :wink: Then there's the man-eating fungus and that big machine that runs the world. I reread that book every 2-3 years.
nicozine
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Postby Doe, John » Tue May 23, 2006 2:15 am

Yeah, that was a cool book. Very typical of Zelazny's penchant for contrasting the magical and the scientific. I thought High Dudgeon was the Lord of the Bats castle. Admittedly that was the castle Jack took over once he found the key.
teri tait wrote:Well that's just typical, an antichrist named "John Doe". The only thing worse would be "Joe Sixpack"
Doe, John
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Zelazny

Postby Halcyon Dayz, FCD » Tue May 23, 2006 10:52 am

One of my favourites is Doorways in the Sand.
In essence an interstellar espionage caper, which features two alien
secret agents disguised as a kangaroo and a wombat.
Hatred is a cancer upon the world.
It rots the mind and blackens the heart.
Halcyon Dayz, FCD
Enlightened One
Enlightened One
Snarling Rabid Green-Communist Big-Government Tree-Hugger Euroweasel

Postby nicozine » Tue May 23, 2006 1:18 pm

Doe, John wrote:Yeah, that was a cool book. Very typical of Zelazny's penchant for contrasting the magical and the scientific. I thought High Dudgeon was the Lord of the Bats castle. Admittedly that was the castle Jack took over once he found the key.

You're right. :oops: IIRC, it was never clear whether Jack actually had his own keep, or it existed only in shadows. Cool idea though.
nicozine
Armchair Skeptic
Armchair Skeptic

Re: Zelazny

Postby Doe, John » Tue May 23, 2006 11:46 pm

Halcyon Dayz wrote:One of my favourites is Doorways in the Sand.
In essence an interstellar espionage caper, which features two alien
secret agents disguised as a kangaroo and a wombat.

Our Boojum is a Snark.

I liked the idea of the main characters quest to be the eternal student, the bane of his advisor's attempts to graduate him.
Doe, John
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

PreviousNext

Return to Infuriati (The Enraged Ones)