Ok...what can go wrong next?

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Ok...what can go wrong next?

Postby neocracker » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:22 pm

Here's the deal. I've got to be in Savannah, GA to start work on monday. I've got the moving truck and a tow dolly for my Nissan. I thought, however, that everything was going smoothly. It's not.

So far, this has happened:
1. while towing the Nissan behind the Budget truck on the dolly, the Nissan slid off the dolly. Now I have around $300 to 500 damage to the front of the Nissan. Mercifully, it appears to be only cosmetic but I'm going to have to replace that big piece of plastic that makes up most of the front of the truck. Yes, it was strapped down and chains were attached. The only thing I can figure out is that the Nissan moved sideways on the dolly and dropped off. Of course, the tow dolly also has damage - the wiring is boogered.

2. I still haven't found a place to live in Savannah and now I find out they won't rent me a place sight unseen.

What else can go wrong?
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Mr. Manly » Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:37 pm

I helped a guy I thought I knew pretty well move to Miami about 10 years ago. He gets me to drive the uhaul van for him so he can drive his car. We get there and he starts to unload the van and I find out half the stuff in there is stolen from the place we worked at. That freaked me out pretty good, crossing state lines with stolen goods and all so I didn't sleep to well that night. Next day I catch a flight that he paid for as part of our deal. Well we get up in the air and we start to descend again about 20 mins into the flight. The pilot comes on and say we have to make an emergency landing because the windsheild is cracking. So we land in Jacksonville and guess what, that airline doesn't have anymore flights departing for Atlanta that day and they won't refund the money there, only through the mail. So I have to come out of my own pocket to rent a car. Turns out the the only rental co. I could get there didn't have an office in my town so I was going to have to drive the car all the way to Atlanta, an hour and a half north of my home, and get somebody to pick me up there.
Got my jackboots polished and woo-woo bashin' on my mind.
Mr. Manly
Government Shill
Government Shill

Postby Candy » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:47 pm

Just when everything goes wrong, Tom, something always goes right. You'll be okay. Except for the screaming cats. :shock:
I follow those who I will someday lead. - Candy
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:19 pm

Candy wrote:Just when everything goes wrong, Tom, something always goes right. You'll be okay. Except for the screaming cats. :shock:

I hope so.

Now I need to find another tow dolly or switch to a full trailer (all wheels off the ground). I just don't trust that tow dolly now - it was only a 10 mile trip and the truck comes off one mile from my apartment.
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:11 am

neocracker wrote:
Candy wrote:Just when everything goes wrong, Tom, something always goes right. You'll be okay. Except for the screaming cats. :shock:

I hope so.

Now I need to find another tow dolly or switch to a full trailer (all wheels off the ground). I just don't trust that tow dolly now - it was only a 10 mile trip and the truck comes off one mile from my apartment.

I wish I was there to help you, buddy. I will have a lot of free time, officially starting today after graduation.
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:53 am

I'm in Savannah. Yes, more things went wrong.

Let's see...

June 18th around 9:00 pm - I put the pickup on the trailer and strapped/chained it down. Then I realized that I locked the keys (both sets) in my pickup. Tried to open the sliding rear window. No go. Finally decided that it was the cheapest part of the truck to break. Took five or six tries to shatter the glass (I still have pieces of glass everywhere inside the truck. There goes $60 for a new piece of glass (won't be at the local Nissan dealer until wednesday or thursday).

Left Garland at around 10:00 pm on saturday and got to Savannah, Georgia at 10:30 pm local time. Almost 1,100 miles in twenty-four hours. That includes an hour nap outside of Vicksburg, Mississippi and a couple more one-hour naps between Vicksburg and Savannah. It is nigh-near impossible to sleep in the cab of a Ford 350 rental truck with three cat carriers in the impossibly small cab.

Now I'm living in a LaQuinta hotel with almost all my worldly possessions in the rental truck. That puppy is now an expensive storage shed at $70 per day. Still haven't found a place to stay.

I'm tired and I have to get up at 5:30 in the morning. We work four-ten - four ten hour days.
Not where I used to be...no longer a Secret Squirrel
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Lance » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:20 am

neocracker wrote:I'm in Savannah. Yes, more things went wrong.

Let's see...

All that, and you still found the time to post here and let us know you were okay.

I'm honored.

And I'm glad things went reasonably well for you and the kitties during the trek.
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Candy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:24 am

If it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all. :(
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:34 am

Candy wrote:If it weren't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all. :(

I'm going to have to take you over my knee for that remark. :D
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:39 am

neocracker wrote:

:D
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby neocracker » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:48 am

Candy wrote:
neocracker wrote:

:D

I'm quite serious.

I know....promises, promises.

Time for me to pay $1.00 for a lousy can of soda - damn LaStinka hotel!
neocracker
Disinformation Agent
Disinformation Agent

Postby Candy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:53 am

Well, imagine me going to work in a few moments, returning back to 100's of emails. The bi-weekly is due, and I haven't started it. Off-Phone Activities are due, and I haven's started it.

Then I have to work out with Master Sgt Dan for 1.5 hours. I may then sleep sometime tomorrow. :shock:
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Candy » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:19 pm

Tom, are you alive? 8-[
Candy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Return to Here There Be Llamas