Where's the music???

Off-Topic conversations about what ever you feel like talking about.

Where's the music???

Postby Lance » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:49 pm

Where have the music video channels all gone? I haven't watch "music video" TV in a long time, but now we want to again and I can't find any. Used to be you just switched to MTV and got all you wanted, but now MTV and MTV2 just have TV shows about music, with very little actual music. The same seems to be true of VH1 and VH1C. Not much music, just shows about music.

We have DirecTV, the big package where you get everything, and all I could find that played more then just a few videos was CMT. Yeah... That's okay sometimes but sometimes you want the Pussycat Dolls or Snoop Dogg.

So...

Where has all the music gone? Are there other channels or do I just need to turn on the radio?
No trees were killed in the posting of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

==========================================

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a few hours.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.
Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:01 pm

I know EXACTLY what your saying, and thought about making this thread a few weeks ago! So thanks! :D

I have Dish Network Satellite, and this is my schedule, and I expect it is the same for you.

Their are certain times that the Music Video's come on, and are named as:

MTV: "Music Video's"

MTV2: "Elite 8"

VH1: "top 20 countdown", "Jump Start", and "Fresh".

And all of them have the generic "Music Videos" title.

All of these are on between the hours of 3AM to 11AM, other then that not much.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby Lance » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:21 pm

Apparently there is another MTV channel, MTV Hits, that is all music but not available on satellite. Figures...

Lance
Administrator
Administrator
Cheeseburger Swilling Lard-Ass who needs to put down the remote and get off the couch.

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:32 pm

I think MTV needs to change their name too RTV. :roll:

I wish their was a channel that had nothing but music video's on it 24-7. THAT would be kick-ass. 8)
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Dragon Star wrote:I think MTV needs to change their name too RTV. :roll:

Yup, Rap TV. :P

The music videos are on YouTube now.
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:50 pm

umop ap!sdn wrote:
Dragon Star wrote:I think MTV needs to change their name too RTV. :roll:

Yup, Rap TV. :P

No, none of that crap is on TV. Unless you consider POP and R&B Rap.

I was saying Reality TV.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby umop ap!sdn » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:57 pm

Several years ago, MTV was mostly rap and the good stuff was on VH1... guess that has changed. :D
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:36 pm

Well, define "RAP".

My definition is: Musical expression through means of violence, aggression, and bad/negative derogatory language.

I personally don't have anything against Rap, but I don't listen to anything I can't understand, and 90% of Rap is encrypted. :lol:
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby St. Jimmy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:27 pm

As far as defining music into catergories, lyrics aren't the best way of defining mus9ic into catergories. The main thing that defines what kind of music it is, is the way it sounds. If you hear the beginning of a song (without words at the beginning) you can automatically tell if it's rock, country, rap, pop, etc. by what kind of sounds, and the type of beat you hear. For example, Eminem is "Rap"/"R&B" sounding music, but his lyrics are more like "Rock" lyrics than anything else, but Eminem's music is catergorized into "Rap". That's because lyrics define what "specific catergory" a song is. What you were defining, DS, is a specific catergory known best as "Gangsta' Rap".

Oh and BTW, everyone......I'M BACK FROM CAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion....you must first set yourself on fire.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:42 pm

St. Jimmy wrote:As far as defining music into catergories, lyrics aren't the best way of defining mus9ic into catergories. The main thing that defines what kind of music it is, is the way it sounds. If you hear the beginning of a song (without words at the beginning) you can automatically tell if it's rock, country, rap, pop, etc. by what kind of sounds, and the type of beat you hear. For example, Eminem is "Rap"/"R&B" sounding music, but his lyrics are more like "Rock" lyrics than anything else, but Eminem's music is catergorized into "Rap". That's because lyrics define what "specific catergory" a song is. What you were defining, DS, is a specific catergory known best as "Gangsta' Rap".

Oh and BTW, everyone......I'M BACK FROM CAMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your back? Wow, fastest week of my life.

I know what I was defining, and that is Rap's stereotypical background as most people know it. We know it as Gangsta' Rap, but to older generations it's almost all rap. :)

There isn't much of a defined line from rap, to pop, to R&B really, just slight subtle differences, EXCEPT those I mentioned, and that is why I mentioned them...if that makes any sense once so ever.
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Postby St. Jimmy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:12 pm

Dragon Star wrote:I know what I was defining, and that is Rap's stereotypical background as most people know it. We know it as Gangsta' Rap, but to older generations it's almost all rap. :)

Are you implying that Umop is old? :P :lol:
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion....you must first set yourself on fire.
St. Jimmy
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby umop ap!sdn » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:47 pm

On matters musical I tend to fall in with the generation before me. :)
umop ap!sdn
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Dragon Star » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:36 am

St. Jimmy wrote:
Dragon Star wrote:I know what I was defining, and that is Rap's stereotypical background as most people know it. We know it as Gangsta' Rap, but to older generations it's almost all rap. :)

Are you implying that Umop is old? :P :lol:

*Smacks Jimmy*

Is that what I said?

NOOOO!
Dragon Star
Enlightened One
Enlightened One

Re: Where's the music???

Postby pmcolt » Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:26 am

Lance wrote:Not much music, just shows about music.

We have DirecTV, the big package where you get everything, and all I could find that played more then just a few videos was CMT. Yeah... That's okay sometimes but sometimes you want the Pussycat Dolls or Snoop Dogg.

DirecTV has a few audio-only channels in the 800s that play continuous music, but I've never bothered much with them. And since you're talking about music videos, I guess they're not really relevant.

I know exactly what you mean, though. CMT, even in the recent past, was bad at not playing music videos. Now they at least have a top-20 countdown, quasi-request-show, and a few hours of music videos each day. For awhile it seemed to be nothing but western movies, Dukes of Hazzard, and reality shows that no other channels wanted. I hear that for country videos, VH1-country and GAC are better, but they're not included on my package.

I'm mainly a country fan, but since I'm up late almost every single night recently, I've noticed that if you tune to MTV, MTV2, or VH1 in the 2am to 6am time range, when all the other stations are playing infomercials, they do play music videos. I s'pose all those irritating "behind the music" segments are making money for them somehow.
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:19 pm

Those channels in the 800's are now XM Satellite Radio. It sucks. They used to have a service called MuchMusic on those channels which was far better than the garbage they offer now.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Postby pmcolt » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:17 pm

^ Darn, I hate that. It's been a long time since I've listened to them, but I liked having the commercial-free music channels, despite the awful screen-saver graphics they played with them.

{edit: page 2}
pmcolt
Puppet Master
Puppet Master

Postby Lance » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:24 pm

There was a "new age" channel on MuchMusic that I always turned on at night, to play softly when we went to bed. XM supposedly had a replacement for it, so I turned that one on after they switched. I was scared to death the first time I woke up to people talking in the living room at 2:00 AM. The old channel never had dialog. It was just music.

Lance
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Here There Be Llamas